Need help looking for a browser

Raestloz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a quite specific need and the browsers I've tried thus far doesn't seem to fit.

Currently I'm using CM Browser, which is quite good for my needs but I'm looking for a better option if possible

My needs:

1. DuckDuckGo search engine support

I use DuckDuckGo's bangs system a lot and I kind of depend on it at this point. I've tried to compromise with setting DuckDuckGo as homepage, but I'd rather have an actual search engine support directly from search bar

2. Full screen mode

Some browsers do not seem to offer full screen mode. As in, the address bar is hidden completely until I have them shown manually

3. Exclusive tab screen

I don't want desktop style tab management where they're on top of address bar and take up space. Tabs need to have their own screen to reduce clutter

4. Ad-Block

My current browser doesn't have Ad-Block, and I need it to either reduce bandwidth consumption or reduce clutter (as in, I'd settle with Ad-Block that simply hides them instead of not loading them in the first place)

5. Tab persistence upon clearance

When your device has low RAM (especially when multitasking with multiple apps) Android will clear up apps to increase available RAM. I need the browser to remember which sites I was visiting even after clearance (as in, they'll automatically reload).

6. Good performance

IDK how, but some browsers I've tried exhibits slow performance, even after device reboot. This is seen when accessing the browser's own settings page in-app with no tab open. That's simply nonsense.

What I don't need:

1. Syncing

Syncing is nice, but I only have 1 device and my desktop and mobile browsing habits are different. I don't need syncing

2. News feed

I don't need news in my browser. I have my own channel for news

3. Flash

I simply don't need flash

The browsers I've tried so far:

1. CM Browser

Fills my need but doesn't have Ad-Block, which is why I'm looking for something better

2. Xiaomi MIUI Browser

Exhibits slow performance when accessing the tab management screen

3. Chrome

Doesn't support DuckDuckGo, tab clutters up space

4. APUS Browser

Doesn't remember tab when cleared by system, makes multitasking painful

5. ONE browser

Simply doesn't work for whatever reason

6. Maxthon browser

No DDG support

7. Boat browser

No DDG support

8. Yolo Browser

No DDG support

9. Dolphin browser

Tab clutters up space, no DDG support where I came from for some reason (they do support DDG in NA)

10. Firefox

Tab clutters up space

11. Opera

No DDG support

Mostly, the issue is no DDG support. I'm not sure how widespread DDG adoption rate is, but I need it and it limits my options, thus the request for help

Any help will be appreciated

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Those are some pretty specific requirements. I'm not sure that you'll find everything that you are looking for in one browser. Are you open to using a browser that doesn't have all those requirements?

Raestloz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Those are some pretty specific requirements. I'm not sure that you'll find everything that you are looking for in one browser. Are you open to using a browser that doesn't have all those requirements?

They are, it kind of gives me headache, looking for that one browser that fits my needs. I'd settle with browsers that don't have all the requirements but better than my current one. The most important part is DuckDuckGo support.

Speaking of "not needs", I'm fine with them present in the browser, it's just that I'm also fine with browsers that also include them.

I'm currently trying out Puffin as I type this and it doesn't support DDG, there goes another browser :/

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
They are, it kind of gives me headache, looking for that one browser that fits my needs. I'd settle with browsers that don't have all the requirements but better than my current one. The most important part is DuckDuckGo support.

Speaking of "not needs", I'm fine with them present in the browser, it's just that I'm also fine with browsers that also include them.

I'm currently trying out Puffin as I type this and it doesn't support DDG, there goes another browser :/

Couldn't you just install the app separately: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...uckduckgo.mobile.android&hl=en&token=0j13NxNZ

I don't use the service, so can't say for certain if it functions the same way as being built into the browser.

Raestloz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't you just install the app separately: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...uckduckgo.mobile.android&hl=en&token=fptGzSKp

I don't use the service, so can't say for certain if it functions the same way as being built into the browser.

I have tried it. It doesn't have tabs. As in, there can only be one tab active and that is by design because it's more like Google Search instead of Chrome.

The HTML5 compatibility score is better than my stock browser though, so somehow it's better than an actual, full fledged browser

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Firefox does a good job has most the need like adblock, full screen

Posted via the Android Central App

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a quite specific need and the browsers I've tried thus far doesn't seem to fit.

Currently I'm using CM Browser, which is quite good for my needs but I'm looking for a better option if possible

My needs:

1. DuckDuckGo search engine support

11. Opera

No DDG support

Mostly, the issue is no DDG support. I'm not sure how widespread DDG adoption rate is, but I need it and it limits my options, thus the request for help

Any help will be appreciated

Try this with Opera. Agil's Blog: How to add Duckduckgo Search Engine to Opera Mini Android browser

It works but you have to select DuckDuckGo from menu for every search. It does not set as default.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter