Negative Reviews from users that didn't read the app description

Jeremy Burk

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
A couple of years ago I made an app designed for the DIY and Maker types to build their own night vision goggles with a Google Cardboard headset.

The app description clearly says that the app requires an infrared light source and may require a modification to your phone. The first image even shows the completed headset with infrared LEDs. I even put a disclaimer on the app that you agree to when you first open it saying that you understand that it's just a simulation without the extra steps. In fact, I threw simulation all over the description page just to get the point across.

For a while it seemed to work, I was getting mostly positive reviews from people who seemed to understand what the app is all about.

Lately though, the number of negative reviews has been skyrocketing from people who clearly didn't read the description that seem to think an app alone can magically give their phone night vision powers and upset that it doesn't.

So the question is, is there anything that can be done about this? They don't technically break Googles Review Policy.

Or any other ideas anyone might have?

Thanks

Jeremy Burk

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
That's one thing that I have tried but not a single person changed the review or rating afterwards. I'm guessing that users don't get any kind of notification if someone comments on their review...or they just don't care.

t2mkn

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
Earlier when my app was a little childish, it was getting such negative reviews because users don't read the description or how-to properly. That time I had implemented a childish solution to force them to read and understand. I asked negative question in alert dialog which informs the message i.e. instead of "..... I understand. [Yes] [No]"; I asked like ".... I did not understand. [Yes] [No]" where they have to select "No" for Yes. Surprisingly it reduced the negative ratings by 60+%.

Jeremy Burk

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all those things and nothing really seems to help. I do have a first time pop up that you have to agree to before using that app which states that they understand that the app is just a simulation yet people still leave negative saying it's not real, or even accusing me of lying.

I have thought of reporting those comments to Google under the premise that they clearly must be reviewing the wrong app but haven't yet since it would be such a long shot.

The best negatives to get so far have actually been the ones where they use profanities, because Google WILL remove those.

Jeremy Burk

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I think I finally found a solution that seems to be having some effect. On any negative reviews that claim the app is not working I have been replying "for customer support please contact us by email". In almost every case that I did that, they did email me in which case I can better explain the situation and they then have to admit that the app does work as described.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel