Netflix on the Mesmerize?

AlterPostal

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
From my last post on the "Mesmerize rooted" thread:

Hey, sorry for the absence. It was a busy week...

Anyway, the flash went very well, no problems at all during or after and the phone has been working ok.

So now I've been back for a week at the EC10 stock and running ADW Launcher in a very simple 3 page home with a couple of widgets [facebook and BW-home] and a few shorcuts to apps.

Not much running on background: Weatherbug, Lookout, SystemPanel [all full ver]; facebook, simple android day-night live wallpaper, google voice, and the usual installed apps that run and stay idle on background until other overtakes the memory.

I still wish I have root access tho, but haven't searched or tried another option other than the failed Z4root app.

Oh!! There's one thing that I tried before flashing to what I have now; I think is worth mentioning:
So I was poking around on the forums and got to the Merge forum where I found a link to download the Netflix apk and being a Netflix subscriber OBVIOUSLY I had try it even when I was sceptical. Well it did installed and to my huge SURPRISE it did open and login to my account ok, browsed and search just like I do on my iPod (UI also looks the same), so I tap the play to one show and it did turned to the landscape red screen and ready to play, it connected to Netflix servers and it did recognized the app version outdated so it promped me to update because that version wasn't supported by Netflix anymore, but the problem when you update is that the new version does crash/closes when you try login; in other words it does make a device supported check and it closes on you.

So I went and posted the info on the forum and just today I found that one dude
http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/jtowndawg-28113/
private msg me this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
try this new updated apk and see if it works. I do know that it doesn't work for all phones but it does work for the merge and some other phones. Maybe the updated apk will work for your Mesmerize.

Go to [APP][Updated 6/21/11] Official Netflix - xda-developers

And download com.netflix.mediaclient-1.apk is Netflix 1.2.2 (Released 6/15/11)

Let me know how it turns out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried it but just thought I mention this and see what you guys say. Maybe open a thread Netflix for Mesmerize? ;)

UPDATE:
So I downloaded the 2 apk that gives you the quoted thread/link, and both install fine, but the 1.2.2 which I think is the most up to date one, does what I explained up here, closes (not FC) on you when it tries to login, in other words, it seems to make a supported device check at the login process
The 1.2.1 lets you login, browse, search, instant queue, all ok, but play. The difference vs the previous version [1.1 I think], is that when it gets to the red netflix screen, it doesn't tell you that the version of the app is not supported anymore, but that the connection to the server cannot be made at that moment and to try again later.

So there you go, I just wanted to post this update on this. Thats why I created this thread.
Hopefully someone will know how to hack this pretty soon, since it seems like its a matter of having the app to authenticate with Netflix servers that the device is on is on the GO list.

AlterPostal

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I got the news earlier this evening and waited until I got home from work to install and try:
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/additional-support-for-android-devices.html

and..
OMFG! It's working on my Mesmerize!
Got it from the Market itself, login, browse, search and all; yes!
Wi-Fi and 3G works fine, it's much faster and better resolution under my Wi-Fi [5Mbps].

..just when I had started this thread :p, haha.

So go now and download it from the Market, it's ver 1.3.0 [latest] the same for iOS.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe if you start a thread about official Gingerbread for the Mez they'll release that too :p

Just kidding around! Glad its working!