New phone & Google Timeline?

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I both have Moto G4 'phones. When out walking, it's always interesting to look at the timeline in Google Maps and, although not 100% accurate, the timeline usually does a pretty good job of showing where we've been.

I have now "bitten the bullet" and invested in new 'phone for us both. Initially, I bought 2 x Real 6 Pro. A lovely 'phone, but we couldn't get reception at home, so they went back. The other issue was that Googles timeline was no where near as accurate as when using the Moto G4. Anyhow, the Realme has now been replaced with a Huawei Nova 5T. Reception is good, but the issue with Google Timeline remains. It is so inacurate as to be useless, however the old Moto G4 still tracks fine.

What I think is happening, is that the newer phones are polling our location at much longer intervals than the old phone, as the time line tends to show only 2 or 3 points on a circular route. I recently went out with my wifes new 'phone, and my old Moto as a comparison. The Moto showed roughly where I had been, the Huawei showed a perfect triangle, with straight lines between each point.

All location services are enabled, and I have set the Huawei to allow Maps to run in the background, but am now at a loss. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Cliff

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Search the system settings for Wi-fi and Bluetooth Scanning, and turn those on. Although they might increase battery usage slightly, they're supposed to increase location accuracy.

When you say you let Maps run in the background, what part of the system settings are you talking about? Is Battery Optimization turned off for Maps?

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Yes, I turned off Battery Optimization for Maps. I'll have a hunt tomorrow for wi-fi and bluetooth scanning and see what that turns up.

Many thanks for the response, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Cliff

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And I'm guessing you already looked for any system setting or "RAM manager" app that might want to kill apps in the background? The problem with many Chinese manufacturers (and even Samsung now) is that they tend to bake aggressive RAM management into the firmware, so perhaps the system itself is limiting how often the Maps app can refresh. See this site: https://dontkillmyapp.com/

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Ah well, checked Settings, and Wi-fi Scanning and Bluetooth Scanning are both already enabled. Tried the recalibrating trick earlier with no effect and can't see any RAM manegement apps.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a "feature" of the firmware as B.Diddy suggests - especially since The Realme handsets and the Huawei are both Chinese. My own new 'phone is due to arrive tomorrow - a Huawei P30 Pro - it'll be interesting to see if it performs in a similar manner to the Nova 5T (more than likely as it has the same chip set as I understand it). Maybe I should have stuck with Motorola.

I shall investigate the site Dontkillmyapp - thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Cliff

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej