New to Android, how to sync and handle email?

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Changing from Apple 4S to Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge (picked it up, and activated it today). On my Window 10 desktop, I have Microsoft Outlook 2010, that I use to get my email from Comcast. On the 4s, I only got the mail when I checked for it (no Automatic downloads from the Comcast email...and that is how I want to continue). Using iTunes, I was able to synch between the desktop and the 4s. My background is Windows...not Apple, and I am learning Android as I go. Actually, I am playing with Visual Studio and Xamarin forms, and now will have a platform to test on.

At the Verizon store, they activated the phone, and were able to bring over the contacts to the Edge, but they said that they could not get the photos and the calendar appointments. There are not a lot of appointments, so I guess that recreating them can be done, just tedious. Their recommendation on the photos was to copy them from the 4s (using iTunes sync), to the desktop, and then download from the desktop to the Edge. Looking beyond this (once everything is copied to the Edge)...

I see that there is 'Nine - Outlook for Android', but I am not clear on what it's use is (yes, obviously, it is an app that can be downloaded and install on the Edge). Is it used in conjunction with the desktop MS Outlook, and can sync back and forth? Is there a Windows version to be installed on the desktop, and they can be synched together?

I am not a fan of letting Putin see all my information in the cloud :), so storing on the cloud is not something that I prefer to do...am I going to be required to do so, in order to keep things synched? Instead of the Nine product, should I be considering Samsung, Version, etc., products, for my email and synching?

I recognize that most probably, I am not the first to ask these questions, and will generally take directions as to 'where to go', :).

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If you currently have your Outlook client setup to download your messages and then delete them from the server, then your only option is going to be manually connecting your cell phone to your laptop and importing the messages to the cell.

Now, before I get into "how", I have to ask "why?" If you're pulling the messages up in Outlook, why do you want to "copy" them to your device? I'm not trying to say that you're wrong for doing it. Maybe just that you should ask yourself the question of whether or not you really *need* to do it ;)

I don't know of any software to do this natively. If you leave your messages on the server, then it's just a matter of firing up the "Email" app on your device and adding the account, but it sounds like that's not the case for you. I checked with Google for some solutions, but most of the results talk about sync'ing your contacts from Outlook to a GMail account.

Migrate Outlook contacts to your Android phone - TechRepublic

I found this (old) article from PC Mag that might be helpful. It explains how to use Samsung's Kies software to sync data from Outlook, but it looks like it might only be contacts, calendar events, and notes. It doesn't mention email specifically, unfortunately.

How To: Sync Android With Microsoft Outlook | PCMag.com

Unfortunately, you may not be able to do exactly what you're wanting to do, simply because that's not the "normal" behavior of the way people access their email, so there's not much out there to support it.

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
When I checked my email on the 4s, I did not delete from Comcast, so they were still available to the desktop Outlook (which then deleted them from Comcast). I rarely kept an email on the 4s, as they were all on the desktop.That is what I want to continue to do on the Edge. I was not pulling the desktop email to the 4S at all, and again, I want to continue this. I only want to sync calendar, contacts, photos (not email).

Just came across this, and wonder if anyone has used it...Galaxy S6: How to sync with Outlook – Galaxy-Sync | Sync Galaxy with Outlook, or http://www.akruto.com/how-to-sync-samsung-galaxy-s7-with-outlook/. This is very confusing.

Oh...why is the word 'Outlook' highlighted in yellow everywhere in these postings?

Last edited:

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
'smart switch', Samsung Smart Switch™: Transfer Contacts, Music & More, free. Can be used a few different ways. It can be installed on the old and new phone, and everything transferred that way (I did not do that). I installed it on Windows 10, but, it only does contacts and calendar, no photos. I then used iTunes, created a backup of the old 4s phone (I had only used iTunes for sync previously), and using smart switch, restored to the new Edge phone, the S4 backup that I had just created in iTunes. All photos came across. Not sure yet how I will sync the photos in the future (as I will no longer be using the old s4)