Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility

andrew hansinger

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a google nexus 4 this past month and have had all the google phones prior to it. It dropped one time from a foot off the ground and the screen is cracked and will not respond to touch at all. Both google and LG are passing the buck to the other and will not back up their product. this is very disappointing and i'm thinking of going back to apple. i can't believe they would make such a fragile product that cannot withstand even one common drop. after researching their are numerous other nexus 4 cracks from even less impacts. they must recall these phones and fix them. this is the most horrible product and customer service out there and I will spread the word, continue to join groups put this out there. Google and LG must take responsibility for their defective product.

Does anyone have advice on what we can do at this point?

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Nexus 4, which I got back in early December.

The first batch Nexus 4's definitely had serious problems. It was finally seen when I had the same problem as you, and dropped my phone slightly on the ground. A small piece of cracked screen turned into a hairline crack, and the screen wouldn't even respond anymore.

I think Google and LG have learned though. The replacement I just got has much better touch responsiveness, and overall seems much more stable.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've read plenty of stories of people dropping their N4 from waist level and having nothing break. You just had some bad luck and it has nothing to do with Google or LG. If you want to go back to apple over this, do it. Buy I doubt that apple would replace your broken screen either.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you dropped it and how can you expect others to take responsibility for this?
drop your iphone and take to apple and tell them you dropped it they wont replace.
are you frekin kidding me

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Let me start by saying geez dude it does totally suck that you dropped your phone and it cracked. It has not happened to me, butI feel your pain. Next I would like to offer a solution, like you asked for, pay LG to fix the screen. They do it for a fee.
Now let me explain this thinking, say I traded in my Ford for a new Mazda, a week later I am backing out of a parking spot and bump into a post, I am not going very fast, but yet the bumper is cracked. I contact the dealership, and Mazda and both refuse to fix it for free or issue me a new car. The Hooligans!!!!! But I wasn't going fast! The bumper should be able to hit a post without damage!! I am going to trade it in for a Ford!

See, sounds kind of silly eh?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
.. Does anyone have advice on what we can do at this point?

Yes this must feel awful. But you dropped it. Get over it.

Things you can do :

Buy a ballistic case.

Get handset insurance.

Stop dropping your phone.

Don't waste your time threatening grass roots revolt against the manufacturer because you dropped your phone.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

pgud

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Read post #8 here:

Broken Screen Replacement

It's a design flaw. Nexus 4 has thinner glass than any other phone on the market (including Nexus 4 Optimus). I've already replaced the front screen, and, to add insult to injury, the back cover just went - all within a month and a half of purchase. This is really poor build quality. My old Galaxy S lasted 3+ years and continued to work fine even after I managed to crack the screen (two+ years into its life).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Lmao. Glass breaks when you drop it. Not a design flaw. Not Google or LGs fault either.

This is akin to saying it's Ford's fault my bumper cracked when I backed up into that fire hydrant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Lmao. Glass breaks when you drop it. Not a design flaw. Not Google or LGs fault either.

This is akin to saying it's Ford's fault my bumper cracked when I backed up into that fire hydrant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Personally I'd blame the fire hydrant. Why did it have to be RIGHT THERE?!

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
i can't believe they would make such a fragile product that cannot withstand even one common drop.

Yeah, what were they thinking, making the screen out of glass? They should have used titanium! And even though you dropped it, it's totally their fault it broke!

/sarcasm

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a google nexus 4 this past month and have had all the google phones prior to it. It dropped one time from a foot off the ground and the screen is cracked and will not respond to touch at all. Both google and LG are passing the buck to the other and will not back up their product. this is very disappointing and i'm thinking of going back to apple. i can't believe they would make such a fragile product that cannot withstand even one common drop. after researching their are numerous other nexus 4 cracks from even less impacts. they must recall these phones and fix them. this is the most horrible product and customer service out there and I will spread the word, continue to join groups put this out there. Google and LG must take responsibility for their defective product.

Does anyone have advice on what we can do at this point?

SMH

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry to hear that you broke your screen. It really is unfortunate. But as many have stated here, it is not at fault of the manufacturer or provider. You dropped it. I know in today's market you would think that a phone can survive a short drop, but its really phsyics as to whether it will or not. While the forward travelling momentum wasn't great, the surface on which it fell and the manner in which it struck play very crucial roles. The design of the n4 is not defective, but I would say it is crippling. With a thin glass front and back, you are sacrificing durability for its other features. Unique hardware, vanilla android, etc. The best thing you could have done with a device like this is used some sort of protection, whether it be a case, a bumper, or front and back screen protectors.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

JoshThetics01

May 11, 2013
Visit site
How did you manage to get the replacement? Mine has broken catastrophically after a 2 foot drop,
screen became unresponsive, currently posting from a friends Nexus 7 :(

Josh

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I heard the sound of assumption (remember what Benny Hill said) loud and clear going on in this thread.

As someone who worked as a service tech for Sony for five years, I have no sympathy for someone who damages their own stuff and then expects someone else to pay for their mistakes. Your attitude stinks, so be prepared to enjoy the way of pain.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought this was going to be about waking up or something like that and finding the screen cracked over night by just sitting there...

not that you dropped it.

I am always amazed at what I read on the internet and people's expectations.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was going to be about waking up or something like that and finding the screen cracked over night by just sitting there...

not that you dropped it.

I am always amazed at what I read on the internet and people's expectations.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I broke my Thunderbolt screen tossing my Xoom onto my bed. They corner of the Xoom hit the bottom right corner of the Bolt and shattered it. Guess I should have called HTC and told them their screens are junk, and weak, then Motorola for making the Xoom to heavy. Then come blasting them on the internet when neither of them were willing to replace my screen. If I only knew now............

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped mine three times onto tile floors, no breaks or cracks, from 5+ feet.

But no one posts when their phone survives a drop, hence you only reading posts complaining that, shockingly, glass breaks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac