Nexus 5 Is Great. Share Your Opinions.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I could not agree more if you want a professional photos get a DSLR.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Incredibly laggy it takes at least 1-2 minutes for the screen to redraw everytime I go to the home screen. I have already clean rebooted every 4 hours. 5.0.1 is making this phone basically unusable. Battery life is just as bad. Factory reset did nothing, this needs to be fixed. Maybe I 'll dump this and getting a cheap phone, I can't afford to pay 400 again, and have this happen.

Something is clearly wrong with that phone. Have you tried contacting Google about it? They might offer to send you a replacement for free, if they're still running that program. Go to this site, and click on Contact Us at the upper right. You should be able to request either a live chat or a phone call. https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518

redlinecoatings

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I switched to a nexus 5 from an iPhone 5. Have always used apple products. I have to say that I'm really enjoying this nexus. Its smooth, I find that the battery will outlast my iphones hands down, and the camera is great, a little slow, but all around a good phone camera.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Something is clearly wrong with that phone. Have you tried contacting Google about it? They might offer to send you a replacement for free, if they're still running that program. Go to this site, and click on Contact Us at the upper right. You should be able to request either a live chat or a phone call. https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518

Thanks, I am not eligible for this, as I got mine in November, 2013 from Tmo, in hindsight I should have waited until Google had it back in stock as I got off Jump after 2 months, it wasn't for me I bought the phone outright after the 2 months.
The warranty is up but after I left jump I purchased a third party warranty which covers this and ends in mid March.
Last night I cleared 3Gb of cache with a great app I got last year, I am rooted but stock. My screen is now reloading after 2-3 sec. which is much better, but which it never used to do under KitKat under the same setup I have.
It is much better, but 5.0.1 still has some issues that Google is supposedly working on.
If it gets bad again I will file a claim before my insurance ends, but not now I would hate to get a refurbed device if my N5 is working again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ruben_915

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 since May of last year. This thing still runs smooth and steady. Even after 5.0.1. I think the charging port is getting loose and getting ready to give out like my wife's over a year old GS4. Were both getting a Moto X in a few weeks can't wait for that. We're gonna keep the Nexus 5 as a back up phone.

Posted via Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Battery yes. Camera no. The camera is fine. I never understood people saying otherwise.

Coming from the Nokia Lumia series of phones and seeing the quality of pictures produced by Samsung S4/Note3 and iPhone, i'd say Nexus 5 while it does the job is on the lower scale of producing quality.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the Nokia Lumia series of phones and seeing the quality of pictures produced by Samsung S4/Note3 and iPhone, i'd say Nexus 5 while it does the job is on the lower scale of producing quality.

That may be, but I don't need a perfect photo.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I know. I don't get this obsession with perfection. Really? Most people that take photos share them online, show them (on their phone) to friends, or something else mundane. I've never heard anyone complain that there was too much "noise" in the photo, or colors are "washed out". What the heck are people doing with the photos that they need perfection? Most phones take good enough photos for what people use them for. Get over this obsession people, and just enjoy your device.

Get a DSLR if you want to print photos and enlarge them to 8x10. Geez louise. I just get so frustrated hearing about camera wars as if it were THE most important thing ever. They're all good enough now.

Anyway, what blows my mind is that people still desire the Nexus 5 and are still ordering it. How many other 1 1/2 yr old phones can say that? THAT'S how good it is. Take that, Galaxy lovers, M series lovers, and G series lovers. 9 months after people get a Galaxy series phone, they're ready to ditch it. 12 months later, it's forgotten. Nexus users get 2-3 yrs of pure android goodness. Heck, people are still buying the Nexus 4 for that matter. (which is still a decent spec'd phone, and performer)

Plus, there is something satisfying about having a phone that is Google endorsed, and runs pure Android. I don't need bells and whistles, skins, delayed updates, etc.....

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Right, i see your point...me, I prefer a better camera over other features but to each their own. Dont get me wrong i love my Nexus 5, but the 2 complaints I mentioned are the only ones I have which is great in my books.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've had all the Nexus's and the camera has never been great on any of them. The N5 takes decent enough photos and it is, at the end of the day, a camera on a phone.

You can get better photos by using a different camera app that has manual settings..

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had all the Nexus's and the camera has never been great on any of them. The N5 takes decent enough photos and it is, at the end of the day, a camera on a phone.

You can get better photos by using a different camera app that has manual settings..

I am horrible at using manual settings, im not a photographer by any means. I want a phone that can produce very good quality using the default auto settings. But its good to know other apps available will produce better quality, for those who understand the techniques.

Does N5 take decent photos? Sure, i have a slew of decent ones on my phone that i share with friends and family. Would I pick a phone that produces better photos with simplicity and sacrifice full HD (lets say 720p)? Yes, but others would go the other route. Cant please everyone, thats fully understandable. Would and have i recommended this phone to others? Yes, many times...because its a great smartphone at a very affordable price. Remember, im comparing a $300 N5 photo quality to most $600+ phones...so its not really a fair comparison...but you need to weigh whats important to you as a user.

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the Nexus 5 is the perfect mix. And now that it's coming to an end, those who own it and use it, are still enjoying a great phone at a great price. Probably the last Nexus at a low price range, and one that one after more than one year still compete with other smartphones and wins.
Chapeau to the Nexus 5.

Davulsukur

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
So, as an android newbie, whats the deal with launchers?
Looks like they change the way the phone is set up, can you switch between the stock launcher and a custom one? Or once you install one that's it?
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
So, as an android newbie, whats the deal with launchers?
Looks like they change the way the phone is set up, can you switch between the stock launcher and a custom one? Or once you install one that's it?
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Everything you said is correct. Launchers just change the layout of the UI, some add additional features (but may also remove ones you're used to). The benefit of launchers from my experience is you can switch between them without sacrificing losing your previous setup (think of it as having multiple UI's on your device, customized).

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty impressed that the only weaknesses I see are the ones that have always been there. Manual Camera goes a great way to improving the camera (though still rough in areas itself).

Mine arrived President's Day last year, so coming up on one year. I'm celebrating by ordering a new case from Carved 😁

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Davulsukur

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Everything you said is correct. Launchers just change the layout of the UI, some add additional features (but may also remove ones you're used to). The benefit of launchers from my experience is you can switch between them without sacrificing losing your previous setup (think of it as having multiple UI's on your device, customized).
That's awesome thanks. Android continues to impress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel