Nexus 5 microphone issue?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Total Bummer-Sauce with my new Nexus 5!!!

I made a post about this on xda:

[Q] Dodgy mic when in call. - Page 2 - xda-developers

You can actually disable the noise cancellation

"I changed persist.audio.fluence.voicecall=true to false.
That disabled the noise cancellation for normal calls."

Just make sure the vlume isnt too high because the person on the other end can hear an echo, other than that its works

Can you disable noise cancelation if you're unrooted?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

AorJoa

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have same problem, microphone fine after factory reset. I not sure about magnetic issue because when I put my phone near Macbook my laptop screen close/sleep mode.

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Hey Guys - with the 4.4.1 update the microphone does sound better. Meaning I have got lesser complaints of other people not being able to hear me. However the in call volume is lower than before . Meaning I can't hear the other callers as clearly as I used to.

I also had to revert back to stock 4.4 temporarily and flashed it recently. I left myself voicemails and again the message wasn't very clear. However the in call volume was good. I could hear other people loud.

Now I am back on 4.4.1 as of morning.
Summary: 4.4 stock - the microphone for calls through dialer is terrible. But the in call volume is good and I can hear other people well.
4.4.1 update - the microphone seems better. Transmits voice clearer. However the in call volume is low. I have to ask people to repeat.

Please provide your experiences as well. It seems Google fixed something but that created another problem. I am just using wired headsets for phone calls, but its not really the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Hey Guys - with the 4.4.1 update the microphone does sound better. Meaning I have got lesser complaints of other people not being able to hear me. However the in call volume is lower than before . Meaning I can't hear the other callers as clearly as I used to.

I also had to revert back to stock 4.4 temporarily and flashed it recently. I left myself voicemails and again the message wasn't very clear. However the in call volume was good. I could hear other people loud.

Now I am back on 4.4.1 as of morning.
Summary: 4.4 stock - the microphone for calls through dialer is terrible. But the in call volume is good and I can hear other people well.
4.4.1 update - the microphone seems better. Transmits voice clearer. However the in call volume is low. I have to ask people to repeat.

Please provide your experiences as well. It seems Google fixed something but that created another problem. I am just using wired headsets for phone calls, but its not really the same thing.

perhaps the lower volume output works better with the noise canceling software and mic input.

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

perhaps the lower volume output works better with the noise canceling software and mic input.

Maybe. But if so the in call volume is just too low for normal use. It's funny since the volume from the speaker in general is better. But the output in dialer is very low.

All that being said the nexus 5 has the weakest speaker I've ever seen on a smartphone. Comparing this to my s4 and htc one is like night and day. Even the ancient galaxy s has a better speaker.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

i use Apple EarPods for 99% of my calls. i don't like holding smartphones up to my head for calls. not comfortable and i like to l have visual access to the display as i talk.

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

i use Apple EarPods for 99% of my calls. i don't like holding smartphones up to my head for calls. not comfortable and i like to l have visual access to the display as i talk.

Yes I do that too. That being said while it is fine for normal casual calls, I most definitely wouldn't recommend this for anything important like an interview or something like that. The handset usually had advanced noise canceling built in. Using apple earpods or any wired headset makes your voice sound far away and less impactful in general. I have confirmed this with a friend. The phone's microphone is almost always better.

Or the sennheiser, klipsch, Logitech UE have better microphone in their wired headsets. But of course they are pricier.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

i disagree. EarPods are more comfortable and relaxing to use - especially for long conversations. and microphone sounds good too. i've cut many a business deal using them!

kij12

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

Its beginning Feb, I just bought the Nexus 5, and im having the same problem discussed in this thread. When i make a call, I can hear the other person fine, but the other party cant hear me properly. Im not sure why im having this problem now in early Feb because the phone came with 4.4.2 installed. Can someone on this thread who was having this problem reply how their issue was fixed. Im guessing the problem was resolved because there hasnt been an update to the thread since December.

optimus

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Have you removed all plastic from the phone?

Its beginning Feb, I just bought the Nexus 5, and im having the same problem discussed in this thread. When i make a call, I can hear the other person fine, but the other party cant hear me properly. Im not sure why im having this problem now in early Feb because the phone came with 4.4.2 installed. Can someone on this thread who was having this problem reply how their issue was fixed. Im guessing the problem was resolved because there hasnt been an update to the thread since December.

tgi_android

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Just got mine today. Same problem, disappointing.
After guiding me through some tests google have offered to replace it.
Perhaps its a problem with the early builds and maybe I have one of the original build. The 32G is the most popular it seems and always sold out. I bought a 16GB which is much less popular so its possible my one was one of the first production run. Anybody know how to find out the manufactued date from the serial number or batch code?

Gopo Dreadfull

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I think I may have stumbled on a fix. If people can't hear anything you're saying over your Nexus 5 try this and see if it helps with your issue, it might seem trivial but give it a go because it fixed the issue for my 16GB Nexus 5 (I never experienced the issue on my 32GB one). After you start the call, simply talk into the bottom of your phone (where the speakers are) and that should force the microphone to not register your voice as background noise anymore. After that, just use your phone as you would normaly use it. You don't have to do this everytime you make a call, just once in a while (I'm not sure how often the issue will start occuring again, or if it ever will, for me it never happened again so far).

As I said, I just stumbled onto this "fix" so I would be very appreciative if you could let me know if this works for you.

ab124

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought my nexus 5 in Jan, and have been facing this issue as well where my callers are unable to hear me clearly. This does NOT happen all the time, which is all the more confusing. From my own anecdotal evidence, when i'm in bed and talking on the phone, (phone in horizontal position) the other person has difficulties hearing what I am saying. I literally have to hold the phone right next to my mouth for them to hear me. This is not an issue at other times.

Also, i'm facing another issue where the audio quality during a call fades in and out, and I get some crackles and pops on the call. Again, this is not always the case.
Hoping for this issue to be a software one, caused by the noise cancellation, and that they tackle it in the next software update.

Am running 4.4.2, stock, rooted, xposed.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I have a launch Nexus 5 and only got it on a carrier 3 days ago. I made my first call the day after I put the sim in and it was clear as a bell. Perfect call quality.

I wonder if some of these problems are network related.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ashraf Kayani

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I think I may also have stumbled across a fix... At least on my phone anyway. When calling i will sometimes get complaints of poor voice quality (people can hardly hear me). I notice if i switch to speakerphone it fixes it ans even if i switch back it remains fixed!! I've had this several times now, it's sad but it has become a habit to answer calls, switch to speakerphone and back straight away and issue goes away... Must be a software issue if this is the case...

BRIANH123456

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I have solved the problem! I could not hear anybody unless I was on loudspeaker or I had I had headphones in so I figured it must have something to do with the headphone jack. I opened up the back removed the speaker jack and placed a small piece of paper folded a couple of times behind the speaker jack so it would raise the jack a millimetre or two to make a better connection, hey presto all fixed!!! Hope that helps everyone :)

Soabirw

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 for some time. Since around release I believe. But only recently has this started coming up. In fact, it just happened to me about 15 minutes ago. I got a call and when I answered I couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear me. I hit speakerphone and that resolved it. We could both hear each other just fine. So I figure it was just a delay issue or network blip and turned speaker back off. Neither could hear each other again. Had to have the entire conversation on speakerphone, which isn't always ideal. This doesn't happen every time though. I recall having conversations in the last week that were just fine without resorting to speakerphone. But there have certainly been others that did require it, I just didn't notice as much as I intended those calls to be on speaker anyway.

I've uninstalled applications that I no longer use and have power cycled. I haven't tried a factory reset yet though.

EDIT: Wanted to note something else I noticed. Voice to text also stops working. It's like it receives no information and will just auto-turn itself off, no matter what volume I speak.

Last edited: