Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
At any given point, the Music app and the Spotify app decide my phone is no longer hooked up to the internet. Sometimes cycling the data on and off works, but usually a phone restart is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My phone has just updated to 4.4.3 and I am STILL getting the "raise volume above recommended level" popup. Now Google might think they are trying to look after our safety but I must point out that when plugging into the car stereo this popup could in fact be dangerous. If I plug in the stereo, start the music app and drive away, then can't figure out what's wrong with the volume, the distraction of this could cause an accident. Come on Google, do you really think I'm going to sue you because I chose to turn up the volume? Honestly I would be more likely to sue you because you messed with my volume control while I'm driving and caused an accident.
nannynag.jpg

shikhar10882

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: Problems & Issues - WhatsApp Notification

Since installation of WhatsApp on my Nexus 5, when vibration setting is set to "default" in application, the phone does not vibrate on receipt of a new WhatsApp message, even while system settings are set to "Vibrate when Ringing".
It vibrates though when the WhatsApp vibration settings are set to 'Short' or 'Long'
Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Since installation of WhatsApp on my Nexus 5, when vibration setting is set to "default" in application, the phone does not vibrate on receipt of a new WhatsApp message, even while system settings are set to "Vibrate when Ringing".
It vibrates though when the WhatsApp vibration settings are set to 'Short' or 'Long'
Any suggestions?

Welcome to Android Central! So what are you trying to do? Are you trying to have WhatsApp notify you with or without vibration? The "Vibrate When Ringing" system setting is specifically for phone calls, not notifications.

shikhar10882

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central!
Thanks a lot!!! I feel honoured and securely supported by being here!!!!

So what are you trying to do? Are you trying to have WhatsApp notify you with or without vibration? The "Vibrate When Ringing" system setting is specifically for phone calls, not notifications.
I am trying to make it follow the system settings. I.E., if I set the vibration settings to default in WhatsApp (as per my understanding) it should follow the system settings. - if the system says vibrate with rings, so should the WhatsApp notifications.
Or
There could be a gap in my understanding. In that case, I would like to get a confirmation on the same that the behavior of 'Default' vibration setting in the app is - Vibrate if the phone is silent, and Do not vibrate if ringing is enabled.
Advice solicited!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I tried this recently, so I think this is correct: On the Nexus 5, there is no default vibrate setting for notifications--only for ringtones for incoming calls. Maybe other phones have a default vibrate setting for notifications, and that's what WhatsApp is looking for--but since the N5 doesn't have a default, the default that WhatsApp falls back on is no vibration When you select Short or Long, that's when the notification vibration becomes active.

shikhar10882

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

..... On the Nexus 5, there is no default vibrate setting for notifications--only for ringtones for incoming calls. ...... --but since the N5 doesn't have a default, the default that WhatsApp falls back on is no vibration.

Oh Yes!!!! I feel stupid to have overlooked this simple logic. The system notification settings does not have a Vibrate option at all.
Thanks a zillion.
Your reply not only redeems me of the pressure of a possible bug, but enlightens me about a simple thing that was so ignorantly overlooked by me!!!

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
My phone has just updated to 4.4.3 and I am STILL getting the "raise volume above recommended level" popup. Now Google might think they are trying to look after our safety but I must point out that when plugging into the car stereo this popup could in fact be dangerous. If I plug in the stereo, start the music app and drive away, then can't figure out what's wrong with the volume, the distraction of this could cause an accident. Come on Google, do you really think I'm going to sue you because I chose to turn up the volume? Honestly I would be more likely to sue you because you messed with my volume control while I'm driving and caused an accident.
View attachment 122325

I've never gotton that popup and I've had my level lower than that.

Wired via Nexus 5

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 122325
I've never seen that on mine either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen that on mine either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I get it all the time on my 7 and I have only noticed it on my 5 since 4.4.3.

Maybe it's an EU thing? I know there were some MP3 players that had this sort of thing before as a result of EU regulations.

guyslichten

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

From the day i got it its been having contact sync problems. Most of the times it says Sync is currently experiencing problems.... Don't know what to do! It seems im not alone but i still haven't found how to fix it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Maybe it's an EU thing? I know there were some MP3 players that had this sort of thing before as a result of EU regulations.

It has always been on my Nexus 5 and my Optimus F7 too. I'm not sure if it's on the Hydro since it's been so long since I listened to anything on it.

Maybe a lot of people just have golden ears and don't turn the volume up past 5. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

From the day i got it its been having contact sync problems. Most of the times it says Sync is currently experiencing problems.... Don't know what to do! It seems im not alone but i still haven't found how to fix it.

On WiFi or cell data? Or a better question might be, do you have contacts open from another browser while you're trying to sync on the phone? Maybe it thinks you're still editing a contact. Not a good answer, I know.

Arron Yeoman

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: Problems & Issues - stuck in bootloader

So I tried clearing the cache partition to resolve issues with bluetooth after the 4.4.3 update (phone was paired to a soundbar during update, now attempting to pair does nothing). Firstly once in the bootloader, the volume up key would not function, on press the no command android came up. I had no choice but to clear the cache as I could not navigate away. The phone is now just hanging with clearing cache in the bottom left corner and an unmoving android. Anything I can do here or will waiting for the battery to drain resolve the issue? cheers

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! The Nexus 5 cache wipe can often take up to 10 minutes, maybe even longer. Not sure why. But it's best to let it run its course (unless it's been stuck like that for hours).

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

So I tried clearing the cache partition to resolve issues with bluetooth after the 4.4.3 update (phone was paired to a soundbar during update, now attempting to pair does nothing). Firstly once in the bootloader, the volume up key would not function, on press the no command android came up. I had no choice but to clear the cache as I could not navigate away. The phone is now just hanging with clearing cache in the bottom left corner and an unmoving android. Anything I can do here or will waiting for the battery to drain resolve the issue? cheers

Welcome to Android Central! The Nexus 5 cache wipe can often take up to 10 minutes, maybe even longer. Not sure why. But it's best to let it run its course (unless it's been stuck like that for hours).

Similar to how a factory reset can take a frighteningly long time too - one time it really took 30 minutes and I was about to give up and restart it when it finished. Not sure why it takes so long. If it's been sitting there for hours go ahead and reboot it into recovery and try again. If it is only a few minutes I agree with B. Diddy, you don't want to interrupt it. If its been sitting for hours it most likely didn't even start or got stuck and waiting around won't do anything anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TOTtomdora

May 5, 2014
Visit site

That's odd. I just turned my volume all the way up and didn't get it.

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 7 USING TAPATALK.

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It only does it the first time after a reboot. My 7 does it pretty much every day when I go to watch a video which I do every evening (I normally leave in standby but apps get updated in the backgound so many services get restarted every day) . I've only noticed it a couple of times on the 5 but I have not had that so long and I don't tend to listen to anything on there, just the odd podcast.

Come to think of it maybe it only does it when you have headphones in - not sure I will have to test tonight,

usrhelp

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site

1 . Screen turns off while pressing a number while going thru a call. Very annoying.
2. Wifi did not work in india , authentication problem. Solution is to turn on airplane mode and try 3 times. Now it works! Also turned off mobile data.

Raeed Shaikh

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
hi

I keep having the same problem in which when i try to connect to my home wifi my N5 keeps showing authentication problem over and over again.I tried to on and off the WiFi roter but it didn't affect the problem even though my wifi shows excellent connection on the phone.

Need help thanks!