Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

Stacy Estrada

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 5 just started shutting off out of nowhere it won't stay on longer than a minute. It will only stay on if the charger is connected to it. Did a factory reset and went into recovery mode and wiped the cache. Is there anything else I can do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's possible the battery is failing. Try powering off and letting it charge on a wall outlet for about 10-12 hours. Then see if it will turn on and stay on. If the behavior continues, and if you got your phone from Google, contact them and see you're eligible for the free replacement.

Gurilla

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 5 officially passed away last night, bought it on launch day. It started randomly turning off two days ago, and now it wont even turn on. When plugged in it just flashes Google for two seconds then repeats the process in a loop. Take the plug out and it's dead.

Called Google and they're sending me a replacement. My question: The option was priority international shipping, how long until I receive the phone? I'm in Canada by the way and ordered the phone on Thursday night.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday after uploading a bunch of pictures to Facebook and sending some via e-mail, i had "sdcard" taking up 25-30% battery usage on my Nexus 5. Funny as it is, there is no sdcard slot for the Nexus 5 but i just assumed that was a nickname for the internal storage. Nevertheless, there was no reason for the sdcard to continue using my battery throughout the day while it was idle...i started to think an App out of nowhere started to try targeting my internal memory and hogging resources. After a few hours of going through websites to find no answer to resolve the issue, but only see the requested feedback from support was to factory reset the device, i refused to do so as I wanted to understand WHY this was happening.

Long story short (longer than i expected sorry), i fixed the issue by simply Settings > Storage > Cached Data click "Clear Cached Data = Yes" fixed the issue instantly. Rebooted the phone and hasnt returned since. Just a tip for users who come across this bug/glitch/issue...didnt want to create a new thread for no reason.

SimonMc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I have a Nexus 5 running stock Android and about a month ago the screen on it went completely dead. The phone was still vibrating, making messaging noises and showed up on my PC when connected via USB. I thought it was a problem with the back-light of the LCD screen so I ordered a new screen. I'm just finished installing it and there is no change. The phone still works fine but the screen seems completely dead. Has anyone got any suggestions please.
Thanks.

samadama

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

I bought a Nexus 5 back in January. For about two or three months now I have experienced problems with calls: usually the call starts fine then it almost invariably cuts off and comes back again. At first I thought it was a problem with my network provider but it seems to occur all the time and everywhere. I had it checked (and in the meantime used an antique Galaxy Music which had none of those problems) but the problem is still there... I didn't buy it on Google Play so can't have it automatically replaced.

thx

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible you are covering up the microphone or earpiece while talking? I think there was a thread about this last year, not sure.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

Just jumped on the Android wagon late last week with this device, loving it so far! Ending up selling my Nokia Lumia 1020, bought a Nexus 32GB model barely used with a case...and managed to pocket some money from it. SCORE! I have experience with Android, although the last time i used one was an S3 running 4.0 which was meh...but thats why i went stock android this time. Just for an overview these have been my smartphones:
iPhone3G > Samsung Focus WP7 > Samsung GS3 > Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S > Lumia 1020 > Nexus 5

As you can see I have experience in all 3 OS's, and have been an avid fan of mobile technologies for a long time now.

The one "issue" (if we can call it that) is the battery life. Now, its not HORRIBLE as i can get 18-20 hours on medium use out of it. I can see the possibility of getting over 24 hours but refuse to turn off vibrate while typing (love this feature), OK Google (also a benefit as when i drive i use this to text) or location (set to battery saver). I am a person who wants to get a lot out of my phone, id sacrifice to charge more frequently and it as a smartphone rather than a brick.

One of the offenders I have no control over is Cell Standby, my home has pretty weak signal which i know gives the battery a work out. I set my screen brightness to 10%. Wifi is on but not discovering available networks only connects to known. I use a lot of apps, especially being deprived from using Windows for so long (hehe).

Does anyone have any good tips or video to reference that can help extend my battery further? I do not want to root my phone, just an fyi...i want to keep as stock as possible.

Brand new Nexus 5 is my 5th Android phone. Can't compare mine to yours because of individual usage differences, but the Nexus lasts signficantly longer than the Galaxy S3, perhaps because there is no Samsung and ATT factory apps running in the background.

Best improvement I've gotten on all of my Androids is from using WiFi Matic (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=org.cprados.wificellmanager&token=F1RLzzX0) which turns on/off WiFi as you do/don't need it. None of the quirks that come from most "battery saver" apps, many of which I've tried and abandoned.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

I have problems with the People (Contacts) app, which is more of a Kit Kat thing, but annoying nonetheless. I have the app sync with my Exchange account and It has created a contact for every email address I have used on my computer at work, most of which are not in my contacts. I cannot find a way to only show only my actual contacts. I have around actual 200 contacts and it is showing 865 contacts. If someone has a fix, I would love to know.

Is the lock screen supposed to be able shortcut to apps? It looks like it should, but I cannot find any setting for it. You can move in four directions, but they all just unlock the screen.

Overall, I am underwhelmed with the phone and Kit Kat. The phone is fine and has some good points, it is just not as good as others out there, for my purposes. The price point is a huge plus, but there are a lot of things that other manufacturers offer with their software that are missing from stock android. There are apps to fill many of the gaps, but I feel like I am working too hard to get what LG, HTC, Samsung and others give you out of the box (and work better). I have a hard time convincing myself that I should use it instead of my GS4, G2 or Note III.

Funny, I find my new Nexus 5 running much better than my Samsung Galaxy S3, which seemed to bog itself down in Samsung and ATT factory apps, many of which it wouldn't let me disable.

Did you try the setting in People (aka Contacts) called "Contacts to Display"? "All" is a longer list than just my gmail contacts or a custom selection.

Audemarz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Device: 1st Generation Nexus 5 32GB

I've taken great care of the phone since I bought it last December. It wasn't until recently it changed into a bipolar battery drained device. The cause is likely to be KitKat 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 since it happened as these two updates rolled by.

Symptoms include:
eratic battery spikes and drainage, immediate shut off around 20% charge (recently even at 35-40%), 15-25% charge loss at around 1-2 hours of wake time, extremely fast charging rate around 1% in 30-40 seconds, losses charge even when full when turned of (100% charge to 84-70% when turned off then on), fully drained then back to 50% when introduced to the charger for 1 second and a lot more.

These all occur at 5-10% brightness, only one to two apps open at any given moment, no extrenous apps run (no gaming of any sorts), and just an addition to my dilemma, I only have less than 10 apps installed aside from stock. I was hoping it would be fixed after android lollipop is released, but I might have to reboot the device entirely as these issues are getting too intrusive. Any advice?

*Just as an FYI my brother also has a Nexus 5 generation 2, and experiences similar issues but not to the extent of my phone as far as I am aware.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-16-23-02-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-16-23-02-05.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Android is so weird that way. My Galaxy S3 did that frequently - 2 days from a charge, then suddenly it would run down in an hour or two. Random background stuff, I guess. Have you tried a reboot in recovery mode to clear the cache partition?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Brand new Nexus 5 is my 5th Android phone. Can't compare mine to yours because of individual usage differences, but the Nexus lasts signficantly longer than the Galaxy S3, perhaps because there is no Samsung and ATT factory apps running in the background.

Best improvement I've gotten on all of my Androids is from using WiFi Matic (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=org.cprados.wificellmanager&token=HXxCBhf2) which turns on/off WiFi as you do/don't need it. None of the quirks that come from most "battery saver" apps, many of which I've tried and abandoned.

My Nexus 5 battery is MUCH better than my previous GS3 on battery life, not even a debate. Thanks for the app suggestion.

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 5 which is about 3 months old is getting overheated while charging .A battery saver which i installed is showing a temperature of 40°C ! Is that a problem with the phone or the charging circuit ? I charge my phone from a multiple socket device ...around 4,5 gadgets will always be charging from the sockets , so is there any problem with the supply?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• IMG_20141021_221600.jpg
    IMG_20141021_221600.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 34

Leonardo Pozzobon

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey
I have a Nexus 5 since December '13, and it's awesome.
However, nothing's perfect, and I've had my own share of issues. The one I'm struggling with right now is that last week I decided to encrypt my phone, and I've noticed that now it will randomly stop vibrating with message notifications and phone calls, and this issue only gets solved with a power off / power on, and "inconvenient" would be an understatement of how pissed I feel for having done this... I really would like to know if anyone has had this issue before going for the factory reset.

lfjj

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Lately I've noticed hiccups or lag in my animations and sometimes in the scrolling of my Nexus 5, also when writing on the keyboard it feels slow and sluggish (GO Keyboard). I have no idea where this is coming from, I've tried uninstalling apps, closing apps in settings/apps but no success. Any one else with this? It's getting on my nerves.. I use Nova, Cataclysm ROM and so forth..

SiroccoMobile

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys, can you give 5 cons/pros why should i buy or not N5? Im struggling about N4/N5 (main problem is screen, i think 4,7 is perfect and 5 is too much) HELP ;<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332