Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

wpatrick

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

Hey guys, I just got my nexus 5 yesterday. Everything is fantastic besides one thing, the most important thing, making phone calls. When I'm talking on the phone others tell me they cannot hear me. This is odd as I know the nexus 5 is supposed to have a decent mic. Has anyone else had this issue? I even tried to looking for the mic because I thought something was blocking it. I'm guessing the microphone is inside the right speaker grill. Am I wrong.? Can anyone help me with this please? Thank you. Is anyone having the same issue?

I'm having the same or at least a similar problem. People can barely hear me on calls i make or receive on my new nexus 5.

Voice recording works and so does google now. I tried a couple apps hoping to get it fixed but it did not help. I uninstalled the apps again and rebooted. I also did a factory reset. Nothing helped.

There are a couple of reports on the web about stickers or cover plastic covering the micro causing this. This is not the case with my nexus however.

There is one very interessting thing I found out about my devices problem. I tried to do calls with several wired headsets I have at home. They where cheap and the micros in them probably suck. Actually it seemed even worse when using them. Then I did another try with a headset that does not have a microphone built in. I can be heared and understood that way! Quality was not great but in that scenario it actually worked as a mobile phone...

I'll contact the support tomorrow and try to get it replaced.

plumsmcgillicuty

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

2 issues for me:

1.Do not get a voicemail notification when someone leaves a message when call missed.
2. Constant syncing of corporate exchange email.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

2 issues for me:
1.Do not get a voicemail notification when someone leaves a message when call missed.

Are you on Virgin Mobile in Canada?

If so turn your phone OFF and then back ON and see if the indicator pops up? This is the exact same problem I am experiencing and I am in Canada on Virgin but purchased my phone from the Google Play Store.

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same or at least a similar problem. People can barely hear me on calls i make or receive on my new nexus 5.

Voice recording works and so does google now. I tried a couple apps hoping to get it fixed but it did not help. I uninstalled the apps again and rebooted. I also did a factory reset. Nothing helped.

There are a couple of reports on the web about stickers or cover plastic covering the micro causing this. This is not the case with my nexus however.

There is one very interessting thing I found out about my devices problem. I tried to do calls with several wired headsets I have at home. They where cheap and the micros in them probably suck. Actually it seemed even worse when using them. Then I did another try with a headset that does not have a microphone built in. I can be heared and understood that way! Quality was not great but in that scenario it actually worked as a mobile phone...

I'll contact the support tomorrow and try to get it replaced.

Yes thank you. Actually sometimes no one can hear me and sometimes they can it's pretty bad. We seem to have the same issue. But you know what is odd, when I got my my phone there was no plastic on the sides where the microphone and the speakers are. It was odd usually in every unboxing they all had plastics. Anyway I contacted google and they made me buy another one and when I receive it I will have to place this one in it and send it back. They will pay for the shipping fees. I'm hopping the new one will not have any problems.

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

RE: Wrong Date on Yahoo email....I noticed the same problem with a friends @bellsouth.net accout (also Yahoo based) and it was on an older phone and version of Android. Never did resolve it.

Last edited:

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Maybe it is a KitKat thing rather than a Nexus 5 issue, but even though my headset is connected (wired and bluetooth) system bleeps still come through the speaker when I raise or lower the volume and sometimes when other system notifications occur. This is a problem as I often awake early and like to listen to podcasts whilst my partner sleeps. I never had this problem with my Nexus 4! I have tried disabling as many sound settings as I can but to no avail.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Something like that, with my N4 as well. The confirmation sound when using the voice dialer from my BT Headset would seem to split between the headset and the handset. Never had that from any phone before.

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I am migrating from Verizon GNex to Nexus 5 on Consumer Cellular (AT&T).

On my GNex, I had all calls routed through Google Voice, and whenever I made an outgoing call, it displayed my GV number on the other person's caller ID. Unfortunately, now on the Nexus 5, it shows my actual cell phone number. That's a problem - I don't want people to have that number, I want them to see and use my GV number.

I know this sounds obvious, but I have to ask - did you set the phone up to use the Google Voicemail after changing the SIM over? I think there is a number sequence you dial for most phones. I had to do it with my Nexus 4 recently and then it used all my GV settings. Other than that I got nothing!

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Its currently downloading all the apps i had on old phone but when i open the play store and click on the icon upper left to see the my apps option its completely blank. I don't see the my apps , wish list, and whatever other icons used to be there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just checked on mine and it works as it should. Any security app that might be involved in this issue?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:

Prasanna Seshadri

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

I tried this: I opened the Google Keyboard on the Nexus 5 and left it open without hiding it. Then I locked the screen. the phone went into sleep after 30 secs of inactivity (my settings). There are apps on my phone that are always running such as Onavo count or Battery Guru (in learning mode still). that are displayed in the Notifications bar.

So, when i tried to unlock my phone- the Keyboard that was left open in any app appears on top of the lock icon and is not letting me unlock my phone the normal way. I have to go through the Notifications bar into a running app like the Battery Guru and then the phone gets unlocked.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Is this a known one? Wud greatly appreciate the response.

-- Prasanna

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone else have a problem with google search? On my homescreen and on the google now screen, whenever i say "ok google" it doesn't respond. When i click on the little microphone it doesn't seem to hear my voice. Normally around the microphone you'd get that little pulsating animation when it hears you but mine recently stopped doing that. i have to restart the phone and try it again before getting it to work. I noticed this when i looked at my homescreen and it no longer said "say ok google" in the search bar, i remember when i first booted up the phone it also had to pulsating animation on the microphone even though i never called for google now to open.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

Love the N5 so far, except the micro USB charger doesn't fit into the phone's port.

Since part of the plug's metal is exposrd and there's movement while it's attached, I called Play Support about it yesterday. Support couldn't have handled it better. Since delivery could take 5 weeks, they're allowing me to use the original phone until the new one arrives. Here's hoping no more issues.

UPDATE 6:30 pm: Just received an email that my Nexus 5 has shipped!

Last edited:

nexusbandwagon

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

For anybody that has RMA'd in the last 2 days - what are you being told for availability? I was told 2-3 weeks for a replacement device and I'm trying to figure out if they are just being conservative or if it will actually take that long.

Just an update... I RMA'd on November 6th - was given an estimated shipping date of Dec 3rd (3-4 weeks). Received an email today that my replacement device has shipped :D... so I think they are definitely being conservative with their shipping dates.

Friendly Bomb

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I just asked for an RMA from Google UK support due to a dead black pixel. I was asked if I'd tried anything to fix it. I said I'd used a utility,which didn't fix it. CSR said "ok no problem", took my details and said I'd get a replacement within 5 days!

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone else have a problem with google search? On my homescreen and on the google now screen, whenever i say "ok google" it doesn't respond. When i click on the little microphone it doesn't seem to hear my voice. Normally around the microphone you'd get that little pulsating animation when it hears you but mine recently stopped doing that. i have to restart the phone and try it again before getting it to work. I noticed this when i looked at my homescreen and it no longer said "say ok google" in the search bar, i remember when i first booted up the phone it also had to pulsating animation on the microphone even though i never called for google now to open.

better question, how do I get rid of this google bar altogether?? will love if someone can help with that

Munish Paul

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems & Issues

Bottom 1" of screen is gone bad in 2 day. No Color, responds to touch but is grey. Call quality is good some time but have static other times. 4G connection is slower compared to Iphone 5. Sending it back.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

It's definitely a KitKat thing, but the inablity to set notification volume is very annoying! I downloaded AudioManager Pro but it doesn't work either. I hope Google adds this in 4.5/5.0 as this is a very important feature!

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The phone vibration suddenly started behaving weirdly. It was very weak and the phone case would not vibrate...reboot fixed it but still weird to see all these issues in a new phone..esp hw issues

Petero1818

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 will not connect with Exchange. Wont allw me to set up exchange account. This problem as well as a few others with Exchange seem to be on other forums. I did not see it here. I would love to give this phone high marks, but I cannot even put it into use until this is resolved. Am tempted to return it if no fix imminent.

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

my battery status. it says its been off battery for past day+. its only been off battery for few hours, percent isnt an issue, just uptime is incorrect. any solutions?

hakz83

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

I have an issue with Netflix app when I try watching something i get a green screen anyone else having this issue ?