Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems & Issues

When I try to use camera function in Google translate, the camera becomes very dark. Can anyone test and confirm this bug?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

I'm not sure if these are problems or issues but on my S3, it would notify me for ANY email in my gmail and by that I mean not just my Primary, but also my Social and Promotions as well. Under Label Settings, I have "Notify for every message" checked so it should work. Right now, I only get notifications for the Primary emails.

Also, I hate the fact that the ringtone and notification volume settings are combined. In other words, if I want my notifications (email, sms etc) to be loud, I have to increase my ringtone volume as well. In my S3, they were separate.

That's it. No other issues. Battery is great, love the screen and contrary to some of the issues others are having, I'm issue free, no bugs, no nothing. Everything just works, amazing.

Last edited:

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I've found three issues so far (probably KitKat as much as Nexus 5):

1) On the Google Now screen of N4/4.3 the back button would return you to the screen you were at before (as you would expect). On the N5/4.4 the back button does nothing.

Because it is it's own page on your home screen, that is by design.

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Bluetooth was not able to connect to my chevy volt. Connecting and disconnecting and finally phone hanged. Even the touch screen stop responding. Was not able to hear any ringtone. Had to press 2 min to reset it.
So surprised with this quality from Google.

Bluetooth connected to my Mercedes B-250 right away. I had huge issues trying to connect my S3 with bluetooth, but the N5 was a breeze and works flawlessly.

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list. Bluetooth Dialing Woes FIXED!

I love the Nexus 5. I don't want to give it up. I HAD this little "major" problem though..... :( I can't live without BT voice dialer!)
I just spent about an hour with Google hardware support (I'm thankful they are there!).

I have three phone models that I have used my Samsung WEP490 headset with. I have one WEP490 I opened and used for the first time as part of this testing with the same results.
I have used it with multiple TMobile G2 (HTC) phones, with my Nexus 4 and now with my Nexus 5.
Voice dialing from the headset has worked flawlessly with the G2 and the Nexus 4.
Attempting to BT headset voice dial with the Nexus 5 has been a problem. I can occasionally get the correct contact to be offered e.g. "Call Home" might work in a quiet building but does not work in my car at a traffic light.
I mention the fact that I was stopped because it was not road noise and the sound system was muted. I could not get the dialer to offer the correct contact. It offered several off the wall options.
I have tried "Call 123-456-6789" (with a valid number of course) and it will offer 2251234566789 (or something not even that close). Forget trying to call a business in my contacts. "Call Recreation Systems" returns "Craig Preenst" another of my contacts (names changed to protect their privacy).
I had purchased the Nexus 4 back in September and used this headset and "this" voice to make voice dialed bluetooth calls without an issue since then, and ditto for the old G2 (which runs v2.3!!).
Anyone else had anything similar? I found a lot of posts with a lot of suggestions.

I read in a Google forum that rolling back search updates solved it and power cycling the phone or headset helped (but didn't help me), doing a factory reset (wonderful!) and then, "the post I can't find anymore".

This post on the Forum suggested clearing the data and cache on the Bluetooth Share (Settings-Apps-ALL-Bluetooth Share) and BANG! BT headset voice dialing is back and correct. It makes sense as the app was behaving as if an index was corrupted (hearing one name and suggesting / dialing another in the contact list) but who would know where to find that when Google support didn't? I sure didn't think of it! But I can't find the post.....

However if this helps you, then I thought of it and you're welcome. If not, then it was that other posters idea and I'm not responsible either way. I have no clue what started the problem, it didn't exist the first 4 days I had the phone , never with my N4 or old G2, so let's hope it isn't chronic!

:)

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

The more they overthink the plumming, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Translation: The more stuff and tech they put in phones, the easier it is for stuff to go wrong.

yancyv8

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Is the backlight of the LCD screen more noticeable than it should be? I feel like it's very visible and it adds a sort of cheap feel to the phone as a whole and it bothers me. Not really an issue per-say but vs. my moms iphone 5s screen, the viewing angles and such are much better now that I've had the phone for more than a week.

dcjose48

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Is the screen suppose to be pretty good from getting scratches on it? I somehow managed to get a scratch on it already and I was very careful about protecting the screen. I'm thinking about getting a screen protector on it as a result but I do not like having these on the phone.

rreasonn

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I've been having random issues with phone call quality. (from Canada)

During voice calls the ear piece volume would randomly drop which would result in a "muted, muffled" output from the ear piece during voice calls. Furthermore, people receiving my calls would report that they would consistently hear an "echo" of both my voice and their own voice when receiving calls from me.

I emailed google support last week and got a reply today indicating Im eligible for a replacement, no ETA for the replacement .

chukka63

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

People cant hear me during calls,texts send twice more often than sending it once.'ve changed dialer and sms app, hoping this will resolve those 2 issues.
Poor connectivity, seems to be the norm with Nexus phones.I had the Nexus 4 and my wifes S3 beats both the 4 and the 5 hands down.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

my battery status. it says its been off battery for past day+. its only been off battery for few hours, percent isnt an issue, just uptime is incorrect. any solutions?

Which screen are you looking at? On one of the battery screens it reports the length of time since you last rebooted, whether the phone was charged or not.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I have an issue with Netflix app when I try watching something i get a green screen anyone else having this issue ?

I used to see that on a Windows computer on some movie files. It was a codec issue I think, not related to Windows and here, not related to the N5.

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if these are problems or issues but on my S3, it would notify me for ANY email in my gmail and by that I mean not just my Primary, but also my Social and Promotions as well. Under Label Settings, I have "Notify for every message" checked so it should work. Right now, I only get notifications for the Primary emails.

Ok, I figured this out. Under Settings, I had to select the gmail account, then select "manage labels", THEN select "social and/or promotions". Once in there, I noticed that the check box for "label notifications" wasn't checked, so I wasn't receiving any notifications for them. Now it's all good.

stylez619

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Weird issue that just popped up a couple days ago. My screen will no longer timeout on it's own. It will dim after the 15 seconds I have it set to, but it will never turn off unless I manually press the power button.

Anyone else have this issue? This kind of popped out of nowhere this past weekend.

sump22

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

If I am using the dialer and talk to someone, the only way to get back into the 'phone' app is to hit the home button, then click on the blue phone icon again. I cannot back back into the dialer to select another contact? When I click a name to dial it also takes a long time for the phone to display the contact, so if I click on the wrong one there's no way to quickly hang up before it starts ringing the other persons phone.

What's up with that? I use my phone for work and call a lot of people. I should be able to quickly hit the back button, go back into the dialer and select another contact.

Anyone else having this issue? Really annoying.

EDIT: Rebooted the phone and now it automatically goes back tot he dialer? WTF. Can they release inline updates or something and not notify you of it? Works perfect now. I'm confused.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Weird issue that just popped up a couple days ago. My screen will no longer timeout on it's own. It will dim after the 15 seconds I have it set to, but it will never turn off unless I manually press the power button.

Anyone else have this issue? This kind of popped out of nowhere this past weekend.

If that's happening you probably installed something that's keeping the phone awake.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Are your settings different for when it's plugged in and charging? Mine is set to not turn off while charging.

Nexus 7 (2013)

MkVsTheWorld

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

If that's happening you probably installed something that's keeping the phone awake.

That's what I was thinking. That sounds like a rogue app or one not entirely compatible with 4.4. You can check in the Google Play Store to see what's been updated recently. Or you can go one by one uninstalling apps until you fix it. There is a great Wake Lock app, but it's not compatible with the Nexus 5 yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali