Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
two things:
i thought we were supposed to get double-tap to wake screen, and "ok google" from screen off - is that for nexus 6 only?

No double tap to wake. Nexus 6 either from what I understand...
Wish it had it though, it is pretty handy.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Uh oh, the google balls are bouncing around and the screen won't turn off. Is this normal? Just installed the update..
Yes, that first boot after an upgrade can take many minutes. Google should have added a small message on the screen there as it causes heart palpitations for many thinking they have bricked their phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that first boot after an upgrade can take many minutes. Google should have added a small message on the screen there as it causes heart palpitations for many thinking they have bricked their phone.
I was a bit worried. :) I wasn't sure if I'd cleared enough free space etc. But it turned out well except for running the battery down in 90 minutes.

MongoXstomp

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got the OTA today. Anyone else really annoyed by the lock screen short cuts? I naturally unlock my phone in a diagonal motion so I'm always jumping into the dialer. Wish they would made you actually tap the icon and drag to open it. Thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
The only reason you don't like it is because it is different to what you are used to. It makes a lot of sense to integrate app page/tab views into the new Overview and is a better way. You can switch the old chrome tab behaviour back on if you want but that's just persisting your old less efficient habits.

You can make that assumption about me if you want. I'm willing to give any feature a try, and 98% of google's features are an added value. To me, this isn't one of them. While the recent apps are definitely easier to flip through, there seems to be a ton more of them since the phone no longer kills recent app history on reboot. Combine that with tabs from chrome and you have a very crowded recent app list.

Think about this....so you're flipping between two tabs in chrome. With the new way, you click the recent apps button, scroll to maybe make sure you're switching to the correct tab, and then click again to select the tab. So that's potentially three screen touches plus the length of the animation to open and close the recent app drawer.

With the old way, I can simply swipe across the location bar, and I'm at my other tab. Even if I have to swipe again, or click the open tabs button in chrome, it's still quicker and less cluttered than the recent app menu.

Last edited:

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
You can make that assumption about me if you want. I'm willing to give any feature a try, and 98% of google's features are an added value. To me, this isn't one of them. While the recent apps are definitely easier to flip through, there seems to be a ton more of them since the phone no longer kills recent app history on reboot. Combine that with tabs from chrome and you have a very crowded recent app list.

Think about this....so you're flipping between two tabs in chrome. With the new way, you click the recent apps button, scroll to maybe make sure you're switching to the correct tab, and then click again to select the tab. So that's potentially three screen touches plus the length of the animation to open and close the recent app drawer.

With the old way, I can simply swipe across the location bar, and I'm at my other tab. Even if I have to swipe again, or click the open tabs button in chrome, it's still quicker and less cluttered than the recent app menu.

100% correct.

Posted via the Android Central App

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what other phone you had before.
Palm Pre > Nexus S 4G > Nexus 4 > Nexus 5

As I said, I know there are phones out there with better battery life but this is the first phone I've had where I *rarely* have to charge it before EOD. I think I've had to plug it in at work twice in year I've had it.

I've always been careful about what's running on my phone though. My girlfriend is always complaining about her battery life on her Galaxy phones but every time I see it, the tray is filled with various icons of processes running and she never, ever reboots the thing.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Anybody else having issues with contacts? When I look in contacts some of my contacts show up but most don't. In google hangouts it doesn't show the contact name on the conversation, even if it is a contact I have saved.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed your battery taking a serious hit after the Lollipop upgrade? My battery seems to be draining about twice as fast, and I have no idea why. I sideloaded the update. I've heard about some others having this problem. I'm wondering if this is an app issue or an issue with the new OS. Anyone else?

I had the battery drain aggressively on initial charge but has stabilized since then.

In fact I find the battery to be performing better than on KitKat, could be related to the apps I'm using are now optimized for L don't know but its good news.

Also reception, ya I haven't noticed an improvement

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
After flashing the factory image last night, I've been pretty happy. I've felt like the standby battery life has improved and possibly to a significant extent (sorry it's not going to magically make the screen display utilize less battery power while it's on).

The backup feature is 100 times better than KitKat (details can be found at this post) http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/463043-should-i-do-factory-reset-after-5-0-ota-update.html#post4064277 I'd actually recommend following that process because I think a fresh install wipes out a lot of the Dalvik stuff that was hanging around in KitKat.

Much like others on this thread, I decided to put the Chrome tabs back into the Chrome app (I like the idea but for me it just doesn't work). For me, the jury is still out on how crowded the recent apps has been getting, but if memory management is better I'm going to let Android do its thing. I generally prefer a "lighter" background and feel so that part hasn't bothered me.

A couple of nitpicks. I don't like that hitting volume down doesn't give you "silent mode". I've already adopted by hitting "none" and it's not that big of a deal, but surprised to see it's gone (I think this will come back as it's a departure from the N9). It will take some playing around until I can get notifications to work the way I want. The WiFi and Mobile meters will take some getting used to.

All in all, I'm a fan. If you have any specific questions, let me know

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
1) I hate the white backgrounds. Why can't we *choose* which background we want on menus??
2) Not sure I like the recently used list
3) I hate the non-segmented wifi and cell reception indicators
4) I think I like the contacts screen better (very much like it being renamed from "people" which was stupid, to "contacts")
5) OMG!!! They FINALLY added the ability to control the brightness while in Auto mode!!! I have wanted that for YEARS. It was totally stupid that before it could be auto, which was ALWAYS too bright, or manual, which was a pain. Now it appears we have a bias setting while in Auto!!!
6) I tested bluetooth dialing a few times, and I think it actually works now, which it almost never does. It is still incredibly annoying (why do I have to say "select 2" and crap?). Time will tell if it is fixed or still flaky.
7) Not sure I like the keyboard yet
8) So far I see no change in tower reception (T-Mobile)

I have had the update for all of an hour so far... it came over the air this afternoon.

9) Battery life is not any better
10) I hate the change to the battery usage detail, since now it is a total percent of the battery, instead of the percent of what was USED. So now everything are small numbers that are hard to compare. Why couldn't they give us a CHOICE???
11) Replacing the home icon/button with a circle is just stupid.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. i'm not a big fan of the new lockscreen notifications. they eliminated the little icons in the status bar on the lockscreen! so you have to have the huge persistent notifications on the middle of the screen. and i don't want my info public so i hide sensitive content. i really preferred the small icons in the top status bar for Gmail, Text, etc. on the lockscreen.
2. i also don't like the extra swipe required to unlock the pattern lock.
3. pulling down/clearing notifications from unlocked screen is kind of unwieldy too.
4. Matias Duarte might be overrated. adding animations and fanciness and material just for the hell of it is maybe overrated.
5. you can now pull down cell/wifi etc/. settings while the phone is security locked WTF??????
6. no easy SILENT mode?

hopefully i'll get used to it and the muscle memory will be learned.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
9) Battery life is not any better
10) I hate the change to the battery usage detail, since now it is a total percent of the battery, instead of the percent of what was USED. So now everything are small numbers that are hard to compare. Why couldn't they give us a CHOICE???
11) Replacing the home icon/button with a circle is just stupid.

9. Correct.
10. No, this is much better and more logical. The % of a % they had was stupid.
11. No, the new symbols make perfect sense, and are clean and efficient.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

My Nexus 7 got hung up there during one of the jelly bean updates. I gave up and reset after 15 minutes lol. Kinda hold my breath during updates since, ha.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
9. Correct.
10. No, this is much better and more logical. The % of a % they had was stupid.

Not to me. It wasn't a % of a %, it was a % of used battery. It made perfect sense and clearly indicated what was using the battery in relation to everything else using the battery ("Wow- half my battery is gone! What used it up? Oh, 80% of it was this strange app I installed yesterday, 10% was screen, and 10% was everything else"). I do understand why some people were confused but a better solution would be to give the user a choice of what to display.

11. No, the new symbols make perfect sense, and are clean and efficient.

You think a circle better represents "home" than an icon of a house?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86