nexus 6 WIFI problems

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Don't bother. DNS changing is just a placebo effect that never works where you think it is fixed until when the same issues starts up again. I keep getting suckered into it then when it fixes nothing I change my DNS back to OpenDNS (has way more features) but performance is the same even if I use my ISP DNS.
I dunno about that. Every now and then I've seen actual DNS trouble. Switching to Google's DNS servers is a good quick troubleshooter.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I tried a few more things on my device and saw some people commenting how the latest update to "Google Connectivity Services" was causing some folks issues. So, I uninstalled the latest update to "Google Connectivity Services" and now, I have no WiFi issues.

I'd be interested if others have the same experience. If that's the case, I think it might be worth opening a bug up with Google.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would tend to agree with Kyle W. I've had the Nexus 6 for a few months now and I never had trouble connecting and reconnecting to WiFi networks, but as of the latest OTA update, I've started experiencing the exact same problems, viz. my phone doesn't recognize saved WiFi networks or any nearby WiFi networks for that matter.

I think I've been noticing the same sort of activity this past week, but it's inconsistent. I have noticed that my phone is on T-Mobile cellular when it should be connected to T-Mobile WiFi Calling because it's all of 18" away from my router and all the other WiFi rigs in the place are connected to the same router. Sometimes a restart works; sometimes opening up Network SIgnal Info also jogs the phone bak to WiFi Calling. But not every time. I'll try toggling Airplane Mode if I see the same thing happening tonight.

I can remember seeing similar activity just before I became aware that Google Connectivity Services was a thing, which for me was shortly after the T-Mo Wifi Calling update, so I'm also willing to believe it's the culprit again. Although there's also an odd difference this time. Before, if I checked Network Signal Info, I would see that my Mobile signal was a solid 100% while my WLAN signal was typically more like 80-85% whether the phone claimed to be on "T-Mobile" or "T-Mobile WiFi Calling." Now when I check the same app, my Mobile signal is always "disconnected" if I have a WiFi connection, but more often than not the display indicates that the phone is nevertheless connected to "T-Mobile" cellular and not to "T-Mobile WiFi Calling."

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm running the latest version of everything at the moment- ota, Connectivity Services, etc, and I don't have any of the problems listed here. As far as I can tell, no WiFi issues on my N6 whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried a few more things on my device and saw some people commenting how the latest update to "Google Connectivity Services" was causing some folks issues. So, I uninstalled the latest update to "Google Connectivity Services" and now, I have no WiFi issues.
I tried that with my old Asus router but it still slowed down to a crawl with the screen off streaming music. Only turning off Wifi encryption fixed it on my Asus which I could not leave so I had to get a new Netgear router.

malhi09

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone find a fix for this? Mine just started doing this over the weekend. Restarting it or using airplane mode is the only way to get wifi to work.

Joshuap74

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

I'd be interested if others have the same experience. If that's the case, I think it might be worth opening a bug up with Google.

I had most of the above experiences also, including the connectivity services deal. I deleted the Google connectivity services update from Google play and WiFi seemed to get better and after a week went right back to the same old issues. I even disabled the app entirely and the symptoms are still prominent. The best advice I've found so far is to switch to airplane mode and back. It seemed to be the least time consuming.

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
the problems went away for me with the upgrade to Marshmallow.
as this was my thread i will deem this as closed now.

Nic Hathaway

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the most issues connecting to WiFi when I am at home, about a 60% success rate, and we have Google Fiber with their router. I'll probably up/downgrade to the 5X soon.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Have these same issues and have tried all possible fixes. Also had similar issues with my Moto X 2nd Gen. (My router isn't an issue either).

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the most issues connecting to WiFi when I am at home, about a 60% success rate, and we have Google Fiber with their router. I'll probably up/downgrade to the 5X soon.
We have Google Fiber also, with their nice router and a couple of Nexus 6 phones. No problems using WiFi at all, including WiFi calling. Have you used something like WiFi Analyzer or WiFi Overview 360 to determine the best setup for your WiFi? If not, try that. Give the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands different SSID names. For 5Ghz, use a high channel over150 if a clear one is available. And of course, use the channels with the least congestion and interference.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&token=ZL8gkewr

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=de.android.wifiscanner&token=mLX7nvo4

Have these same issues and have tried all possible fixes. Also had similar issues with my Moto X 2nd Gen. (My router isn't an issue either).
What have you tried? And how do you know that the router or at least how it's setup, is not the problem?

Last edited:

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, what's the argument for giving the two bands different SSID names? I tried googling an answer to that when I set up my Cellspot last month, but I came up empty and left them the same.

Giving both bands the same name would allow for the devices to switch or choose which band to use. I give mine separate names to control the bands my devices use. 2.4 is really noisy around me so I reserve 5 for my devices needing high throughput like my media players n such. I keep "low priority" devices on 2.4.

wezi427

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have T-Mobile and use WiFi calling. When I WiFi on I sometimes will not get text messages or emails. I have to turn it off to allow those to come through again.

I wonder if illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I turn off 2.4ghz on all my devices. It is useless as it is so overcrowded in my area even printers can't stay online even when they are right next to the router so now they are wired. For me it is either 5ghz or wired.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
We have Google Fiber also, with their nice router and a couple of Nexus 6 phones. No problems using WiFi at all, including WiFi calling. Have you used something like WiFi Analyzer or WiFi Overview 360 to determine the best setup for your WiFi? If not, try that. Give the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands different SSID names. For 5Ghz, use a high channel over150 if a clear one is available. And of course, use the channels with the least congestion and interference.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&token=TECON2Zd

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=de.android.wifiscanner&token=-p21Ia2M

What have you tried? And how do you know that the router or at least how it's setup, is not the problem?
Router is not an issue because I've tried 3 here at home. Also have the same problem at work (different setup completely) and at a relatives house with a completely different router.

It shows that WiFi is available with an exclamation point. Sometimes an on/off cycle will work but most times it requires me to forget the network, turn WiFi off and power cycle the phone.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Didn't answer what I've tried other than setup...
- factory reset without restoring WiFi profiles
- turned off auto mode for frequency
- used WiFi Analyzer to ensure no channel interference (I live in the middle of a field with no close neighbors)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484