No 3g or 4g all day. Just about had it with the Thunderbolt

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
But you all knew what you were getting into when you decided to get this phone.
Well, should have known. I agree.

Funny thing is, if you just turn off 4G that's usually all it takes for virtually 100 percent reliable network performance. There are those who will say, why have a 4G phone that won't do 4G... well, no other phone on VZW will do 4G either. So...? What phone are you gonna get? That, and then there's the fact that we now have demonstrable evidence that a new OTA firmware fix is on the way to address this issue. Considering everything, AFAIC, I still have the best phone available on VZW right now.

-Frank

musicandnumbers

Apr 1, 2010
www.twitter.com
Good Attitude

I think this is a great attitude to have. I am in NH and I've had some signal issues, but it's true. We knew what we were getting into. And for some of us who may be getting 4G soon, one day or two's signal struggles may be worth it. Keep in mind that Verizon's got to test things somehow. If you're having signal issues, give them a call. Just maybe they can help. :)

I think you are all overreacting and not noticing a trend here. For starters the majority of you are complaining that this issue has started, not had it since the purchase, although some of you have stated other wise. Personally I had this start happening to me this morning and throughout the day, annoying, for sure, the end of the world, no way. With all the testing they have been doing lately and with the launch of 4g in about 10 cities tomorrow, I am not surprised they are having some network issues. These things have to be worked out, just relax.

As for the phones inability to switch from 4G to 3G properly, this will be addressed, and well if has been addressed in the leaked update which I have since flashed. Also we can all hope that in a future update VZW gives its users the ability to turn off 4G in the normal settings menu. All phones launch with issues, name a phone that worked perfectly at launch. Especially a first of its kind phone. If after an update or two things aren't working correctly, then sure by all means, complain away. But you all knew what you were getting into when you decided to get this phone.

Dr.G

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get this because I had connection issues when I got my T-Bolt so I called and emailed VZW and HTC. VZW was no help really they just said we know thanks we'll get back to you. HTC on the other hand said this.

HTC
"With regards to network hopping - basically the device flips between no data connectivity and 4g/3g. We have been escalating these cases as needed for further analysis as well. In almost all cases, the carrier, being Verizon, has been able to reprovision the SIM card which should fix the issue. If your issue is not fixed by this method, we would like to have your issue escalated, and we would be happy to contact you by phone to perform all the necessary steps and then escalate the issue as required. We do have some examples of this issue at our escalations desk currently, and are working with the developers to narrow down the cause and find a solution as quickly as possible."

I don't mess around with the " Set preferred network type: " and my T-Bolt works amazing. When I read all these posts and all I see are " turn off 4g " and " dial *#*#4636#*#* then change settings to ... " I scratch my head and say to myself " have any of these people even talked to the manufacturer about this?". Please for my sanity try calling VZW at 1-866-221-4096 option 3 ask the tech to " reprovision the sim card ". They will have you power down the device > pull out the battery and sim card tray > wait > then reinstall and reboot.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Signal Issues

I had a thunderbolt for three days and hated it, there is a fix for this issue though. The thunderbolt has a power management app that is cooked into htcsense on the phone. What you need to do is go into menu, settings, and find wherever it is, and turn it off. For some reason, it disables your 4g/other data connections because they're draining battery. It does this especially with 4g, even if you're in an area with a very strong signal. Hope this helps! It worked for me when I had the phone...

bobr68#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I feel the no data pain too. My local corporate VZW store's tech told me that I should expect problems with this being a first generation technology phone. That's not acceptable to me. I have a workaround for when data goes...use LTEoff program to switch to 4G only mode (I'm not in a 4G area) and wait for 1x to appear. Then, switch back to 3g/4g mode and data returns. I just got off with tech support who reprovisioned my sim card too...see what happens. I'm in my 14 day window for return and they have agreed to waive restock fee (on my 2nd tb with same problems ) now thinking iPhone....anyone have constructive advice?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a thunderbolt for three days and hated it, there is a fix for this issue though. The thunderbolt has a power management app that is cooked into htcsense on the phone. What you need to do is go into menu, settings, and find wherever it is, and turn it off. For some reason, it disables your 4g/other data connections because they're draining battery. It does this especially with 4g, even if you're in an area with a very strong signal. Hope this helps! It worked for me when I had the phone...

?

Where exactly? What's it called? First I'd ever heard of this.
I'm sure he's talking about Menu | Settings | Power | Enable Power Management [un-checked].

However, according to the verbiage, it is not active until after you have reached a very low battery condition. But... who knows...?

-Frank

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure he's talking about Menu | Settings | Power | Enable Power Management [checked].

However, according to the verbiage, it is not active until after you have reached a very low battery condition. But... who knows...?

-Frank

I've had that off as soon as I got the extended battery. Multiple turn offs/battery/sim pulls. Still have data switching problems unless I turn off 4G and 3G eHRPD.

mrksbrd

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I think you are all overreacting and not noticing a trend here. For starters the majority of you are complaining that this issue has started, not had it since the purchase, although some of you have stated other wise. Personally I had this start happening to me this morning and throughout the day, annoying, for sure, the end of the world, no way. With all the testing they have been doing lately and with the launch of 4g in about 10 cities tomorrow, I am not surprised they are having some network issues. These things have to be worked out, just relax.

As for the phones inability to switch from 4G to 3G properly, this will be addressed, and well if has been addressed in the leaked update which I have since flashed. Also we can all hope that in a future update VZW gives its users the ability to turn off 4G in the normal settings menu. All phones launch with issues, name a phone that worked perfectly at launch. Especially a first of its kind phone. If after an update or two things aren't working correctly, then sure by all means, complain away. But you all knew what you were getting into when you decided to get this phone.

Well said and I agree 200%

Bailarge

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was having issues myself today. No 3G, sometimes not even 1x. My guess was and still is that it has something to do with tomorrow, and 4G potentially being turned on in Connecticut. Makes the most sense to me, and one would expect some network hiccups before something like this.

major_works

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Thunderbolt about three weeks. Today was the first time I had a connectivity issue. My train home passes through a tunnel where everyone loses signal but it always picks it up afterwards. Today it failed to reconnect for about 10 minutes.

Archon810

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue ever since Verizon sent me a Tbolt for testing. After trying every hack out there, I pretty much gave up on it and right now waiting for Verizon's next move. Whether they can reset something on their end, send out an update, or fix their network is unknown.

This is NOT normal for first adopters - my device is pretty much unusable as soon as I start moving, and sometimes even while sitting still. I was going to switch from Sprint mostly due to 3G and 4G speeds, but at least my Sprint phone's data has rock solid coverage. It doesn't switch well between 4G and 3G either (drops, changes IP), but at least it doesn't cycle between them and 1x/no data every few seconds.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Why not just take it in to a Verizon store and have them look at it? I have no issues with mine at all works great both 3G and 4G

Dr.G

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get this because I had connection issues when I got my T-Bolt so I called and emailed VZW and HTC. VZW was no help really they just said we know thanks we'll get back to you. HTC on the other hand said this.

HTC
"With regards to network hopping - basically the device flips between no data connectivity and 4g/3g. We have been escalating these cases as needed for further analysis as well. In almost all cases, the carrier, being Verizon, has been able to reprovision the SIM card which should fix the issue. If your issue is not fixed by this method, we would like to have your issue escalated, and we would be happy to contact you by phone to perform all the necessary steps and then escalate the issue as required. We do have some examples of this issue at our escalations desk currently, and are working with the developers to narrow down the cause and find a solution as quickly as possible."

I don't mess around with the " Set preferred network type: " and my T-Bolt works amazing. When I read all these posts and all I see are " turn off 4g " and " dial *#*#4636#*#* then change settings to ... " I scratch my head and say to myself " have any of these people even talked to the manufacturer about this?". Please for my sanity try calling VZW at 1-866-221-4096 option 3 ask the tech to " reprovision the sim card ". They will have you power down the device > pull out the battery and sim card tray > wait > then reinstall and reboot.

Really! Does no one read or are you ignoring anything that's not an app or a hack? Try this ^^^^^^

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Really! Does no one read or are you ignoring anything that's not an app or a hack? Try this ^^^^^^

I brought my phone in for the connectivity issue. The VZW rep called HTC and they told them this too. The VZW followed his instructions then called VZW and re provisioned the card. THey had already reset my phone on a previous attempt to fix the issue (about 15-30 mins earlier). Next, the put the battery back in my newly reset and re-provisioned phone and told me it was fixed.

My no data message arrived about 5 mins later.

My other details: I live in a 3G only area so this is not a hand-off or over subscribed tower issue. This had been going on since I got the phone but had gotten progressively worse (from 1-2x per day to 5-6x per day). There is something more going on here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000