No 3g or 4g all day. Just about had it with the Thunderbolt

bugg77

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I brought my phone in for the connectivity issue. The VZW rep called HTC and they told them this too. The VZW followed his instructions then called VZW and re provisioned the card. THey had already reset my phone on a previous attempt to fix the issue (about 15-30 mins earlier). Next, the put the battery back in my newly reset and re-provisioned phone and told me it was fixed.

My no data message arrived about 5 mins later.

My other details: I live in a 3G only area so this is not a hand-off or over subscribed tower issue. This had been going on since I got the phone but had gotten progressively worse (from 1-2x per day to 5-6x per day). There is something more going on here.

I'm in a 3G only area (damn VZW!) and I also have occasional (once or twice a week at most) dropouts of data connectivity. I usually just put my phone into airplane mode, and sometimes restart, then turn off airplane mode. Pretty much works every time so I haven't messed around with calling VZW or shutting off 4G with apps or hacks.

Would be nice for VZW to straighten this out; especially for people who have this problem frequently.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a 3G only area (damn VZW!) and I also have occasional (once or twice a week at most) dropouts of data connectivity. I usually just put my phone into airplane mode, and sometimes restart, then turn off airplane mode. Pretty much works every time so I haven't messed around with calling VZW or shutting off 4G with apps or hacks.

Would be nice for VZW to straighten this out; especially for people who have this problem frequently.

I remember reading in another thread that even if you don't want to contact Verizon, you should contact HTC because HTC has been keeping a log of the issues and they are trying to resolve all of the major issues with the first OTA update.

bugg77

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading in another thread that even if you don't want to contact Verizon, you should contact HTC because HTC has been keeping a log of the issues and they are trying to resolve all of the major issues with the first OTA update.

Was there a specific email address to use? I'm happy to give my feedback if it may help.

Moganus

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Relax

Do you people seriously use your phones 24 hours a day nonstop that this is the biggest issue in the world? Just relax. They're fixing and upgrading stuff. It's pretty simple to understand. If you hate it so much, stop using it or build your own cell phone tower in your backyard.

bugg77

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you people seriously use your phones 24 hours a day nonstop that this is the biggest issue in the world? Just relax. They're fixing and upgrading stuff. It's pretty simple to understand. If you hate it so much, stop using it or build your own cell phone tower in your backyard.

Wow... maybe a switch to decaf is in order. I don't see anyone really freaking out over this.

Besides your point is flawed. You probably only use your car/subway/train/etc. a few hours a day at most, but if it were to frequently stop working during those few hours you tried using it, wouldn't that be an issue for you? Wouldn't you expect the company building/operating that transportation to fix the problem?

daabsolute1

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue a few times since I got the phone. I rooted mine the other day and have the leaked radio but yesterday 3G was completely gone. I wonder if it was maybe a VZW thing.

Dr.G

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I brought my phone in for the connectivity issue. The VZW rep called HTC and they told them this too. The VZW followed his instructions then called VZW and re provisioned the card. THey had already reset my phone on a previous attempt to fix the issue (about 15-30 mins earlier). Next, the put the battery back in my newly reset and re-provisioned phone and told me it was fixed.

My no data message arrived about 5 mins later.

My other details: I live in a 3G only area so this is not a hand-off or over subscribed tower issue. This had been going on since I got the phone but had gotten progressively worse (from 1-2x per day to 5-6x per day). There is something more going on here.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm sorry to hear that your still having issues because that was a total game changer for me. Although I do live in a very strong 4G area. I have to ask but why buy the T-Bolt if not in a 4G area and you must read the forums so probably had a slight idea of some of its cons?

Freative#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I was traveling last week and couldn't keep a 3G or 4G. After a couple reboots I finally just called VZW and they had me power down so they could resend "info." After that, it stayed 4/3G the rest of time I was out of town.

I know every phone is individually different, but this worked for me.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feed back. I'm sorry to hear that your still having issues because that was a total game changer for me. Although I do live in a very strong 4G area. I have to ask but why buy the T-Bolt if not in a 4G area and you must read the forums so probably had a slight idea of some of its cons?

I'm very fortunate that I don't have to worry about this, but I may have done the same if I didn't live in an LTE area. I would probably want the option of having LTE when it came to my area. Plus it is the only Verizon phone that is capable of simultaneous voice and data over 3G.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

I'm a chronic upgrader, it's a sickness!

Actually, I bought on release day so this particular issue wasn't known yet. However, by all indications (with all of the delays/technical difficulties VZW had before releasing this phone), I should have waited and I knew that but, like I said....it's a sickness!

EDIT: oh yeah, to answer your question re: why get an LTE phone...mainly to lock in my data price BUT word on the street was my area was to get LTE earlier than some of the larger TN cities (still waiting)

Last edited:

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am at a 4g area and today it has been bad. Losing comnection. We just need to bug verizon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a 4G area, and I've had my phone for a little over two weeks, now. For the first week, I had used that LTE OnOff app to go down to 3G only (except when downloading stuff), to save battery life, but for the second week, I've just been leaving 4G on. For the most part, I have no problems getting a signal. I've only had a couple little "hiccups" with it:

- This past Sunday, it would only stick to a 1X connection. Oddly enough, when I went into the LTE OnOff app and changed it to 3G only, it picked up 3G, but if I put it back into 4G, it dipped back down to 1X. The reason I found it odd was because I thought when it couldn't catch the 4G signal, it'd default to 3G, but instead, it kept going all the way down to 1X, until I turned off 4G.

- Yesterday, the same thing happened while on my way to work. I decided to try restarting my phone, and that seemed to fix the problem (although restarting it also automatically drained 12% of my battery...), although the 4G connection did dip down to 3G a couple of times, until I got to work, and then it stayed on 4G consistently, even on my way back home after work when my shift ended.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
- This past Sunday, it would only stick to a 1X connection. Oddly enough, when I went into the LTE OnOff app and changed it to 3G only, it picked up 3G, but if I put it back into 4G, it dipped back down to 1X. The reason I found it odd was because I thought when it couldn't catch the 4G signal, it'd default to 3G, but instead, it kept going all the way down to 1X, until I turned off 4G.
I think it is common misconception that the presence of a 4G signal or absence of a 4G signal, in your area, affects the ThunderBolt's data dropout issue. I've found that is definitely not true. The ThunderBolt will still always try to find a 4G signal whether it is there or not, or weak or not, or intermittent or not, hence, the problem is essentially the same in or out of a 4G area.

A very weak 4G signal will usually make these data dropouts even worse. With a very strong 4G signal present, you are usually okay. It is the switching that is messed up. Once it tries to find another network (switches) it gets confused/lost and you will lose all data until it straightens itself out. It may straighten itself out internally without your help. It may straighten itself out via a reboot (causing the radio software to get another chance to re-acquire the correct signal). You also may help it straighten itself out via the various software settings/workarounds we've all seen in these forums.

As for battery use - when working correctly (locked on solid to a strong 4G and/or 3G signal) I have seen no appreciable difference in battery consumption. I also think this is a common misconception. However, if the phone is flipping/hunting once in a while, the battery will definitely be affected for the worse. This is routine even with straight 3G phones. Always has been. In the early days of 3G service, everyone was in these forums talking about turning 3G off to save battery. It was never the 3G, it was the hunting for a 3G signal.

As VZW builds out more and stronger 4G coverage, this issue should be better and better. As VZW rolls out OTA fixes, this issue will get better. We are all on the bleeding edge of a new network rollout. We are literally the first! The first! Given the pressures of competition today, it is pretty routine for vendors/providers to roll out technologies before they are completely tested. They can't afford to get beat by the competition. Lots of pressure there, whether you like it or not, it's true.

So... personally, I am still very happy with my purchase. I do hope they take care of these issues soon. I do believe they will take care of 'em. Meanwhile, there isn't currently a phone on VZW that I would rather have. That's the bottom line, for me.

-Frank

Last edited:

a320ca

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you are all overreacting and not noticing a trend here. For starters the majority of you are complaining that this issue has started, not had it since the purchase, although some of you have stated other wise. Personally I had this start happening to me this morning and throughout the day, annoying, for sure, the end of the world, no way. With all the testing they have been doing lately and with the launch of 4g in about 10 cities tomorrow, I am not surprised they are having some network issues. These things have to be worked out, just relax.

As for the phones inability to switch from 4G to 3G properly, this will be addressed, and well if has been addressed in the leaked update which I have since flashed. Also we can all hope that in a future update VZW gives its users the ability to turn off 4G in the normal settings menu. All phones launch with issues, name a phone that worked perfectly at launch. Especially a first of its kind phone. If after an update or two things aren't working correctly, then sure by all means, complain away. But you all knew what you were getting into when you decided to get this phone.

Amen. You want to talk about frustration and disappointment? I just came over from AT&T and the "Atrix 2-3g" (NOT the Atrix 4g as AT&T would have you believe). Outright lies and mis-advertising coupled with a phone that has extremely poor voice quality (people say you sound like you're talking through a pillow) and data up/down speeds that are slower than the iPhone. If you want to see some angry folks, go over to the Motorola support forums and other Atrix forums around the web. Folks are returning this thing in droves! Even the critics and analysts are now beginning to proclaim the Atrix a "flop". The Thunderbolt rocks in comparison.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the battery, especially since I invested in one of those 2750 ones, which can last me about three days of usage before hitting 50% of the charge gone. I just found it odd that something as simple as restarting my phone ate up 12% alone.

But yeah, I'm not displeased with the Thunderbolt at all, just ran into a couple little "hiccups" that I posted about already, with the data.

gunmetalgr3g

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I am glad I am not the only one, at night I put my phone in airplane mode and charge it wake up turn on 4G and it worked....the first week, sometime 2-3 weeks ago I started getting 1X when I first turned on the phone, and started getting eratic signals. I work in a basement of a skyscraper and was getting strong 3G from the end of march till about 2 weeks ago, me and my co workers were getting 1X and I thought ehh whatever I have a computer in front me now. I just tried it and I have 3G so VZW must be doing something with the towers....Glass half full people :)

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
As an update today I have had no issues at all today. No issues with connection ie the no icon thing or anything else.

I can only assume that VZW was doing some sort of maint yesterday in the Richmond VA area.

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get this because I had connection issues when I got my T-Bolt so I called and emailed VZW and HTC. VZW was no help really they just said we know thanks we'll get back to you. HTC on the other hand said this.

HTC
"With regards to network hopping - basically the device flips between no data connectivity and 4g/3g. We have been escalating these cases as needed for further analysis as well. In almost all cases, the carrier, being Verizon, has been able to reprovision the SIM card which should fix the issue. If your issue is not fixed by this method, we would like to have your issue escalated, and we would be happy to contact you by phone to perform all the necessary steps and then escalate the issue as required. We do have some examples of this issue at our escalations desk currently, and are working with the developers to narrow down the cause and find a solution as quickly as possible."

I don't mess around with the " Set preferred network type: " and my T-Bolt works amazing. When I read all these posts and all I see are " turn off 4g " and " dial *#*#4636#*#* then change settings to ... " I scratch my head and say to myself " have any of these people even talked to the manufacturer about this?". Please for my sanity try calling VZW at 1-866-221-4096 option 3 ask the tech to " reprovision the sim card ". They will have you power down the device > pull out the battery and sim card tray > wait > then reinstall and reboot.

I called VZW and told them about my connectivity problems. Frankly I am not sure mine are the same thing because while sometimes it happens during handovers, sometimes I can be using my email sitting in my office, and when I haven't moved from my building an hour later I notice that the email isn't working and that the connectivity is gone.

However, VZW guy seemed to know about the hopping problem, and first suggested factory reset. I resist factory reset because a) it is hitting the problem with a hammer, and, b) I need to redo all my settings, which is a big PITA.

VZW guy indicated HTC is working on the problem, and would have a solution downloaded OTA "in a couple of weeks" (we'll see). He also indicated there is a known problem with GPS which may be fixed as well, but I guess that would be another thread.

I mentioned this posting about reprovisioning the SIM. He told me there is no way to *reprovision* the SIM card, but they could *refresh* the SIM card, which they did.

Unfortunately, I did have one occurrence of no connectivity after that, so we'll see if that is an aberration, or if the SIM fix didn't actually fix my problem.

In parallel, by the way, I logged the issue with HTC, who sent approximately the same information as what Dr. G received.

traviisty

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have found this works with the 3G.

1. open the dialer
  2. dial ##778# then Send
  3. Select Edit Mode
  4. Select Rev. A
  5. Ensure it is set on Enable
  6. Select menu then Commit Modification
  7. The device should reboot

Trending Posts