NO SIM error after water damage to phone

ShadyZero

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So a couple of days ago some baja blast slushie got knocked over onto my phone when I was sleeping. Not much got onto it (not even 1/4 of it was spilled), but some of it seeped inside the case and sat there overnight. In the morning, my phone would no longer boot. Since then, I've replaced the battery and it boots up just fine. However - I'm now getting a "No SIM - Insert SIM card" error on my phone. I have tried drying out the phone and have even replaced the SIM card tray on the phone, but i'm still receiving the error. All functions on the phone seem to work fine except ones that require a signal.

US Cellular is my carrier and I do not have any kind of insurance on the phone. Does anyone know any possible solutions I can try to fix it? Or places in places on the device in particular I could try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol? Also, my local phone repair shop offers a water damage service for $90 if successful, and $45 if failed. They told me they use a machine that is used to clean medical equipment to try to fix the erosion. I think he told me it vibrates extremely fast to clean it or something like that. They said they have about a 90% success rate with water damage on phones.

I would like to avoid paying the money to the phone shop if I can just do it myself. And does it sound like something the phone shop could repair? I'm fine spending $90 to have my phone fixed, but if it's most likely going to fail, I would rather save my money to buy a new phone. Please help?

Thanks!!! :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that my SIM card itself is functioning fine. When tested on other devices it is detected just fine, while other SIMs inserted into mine aren't.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So a couple of days ago some baja blast slushie got knocked over onto my phone when I was sleeping. Not much got onto it (not even 1/4 of it was spilled), but some of it seeped inside the case and sat there overnight. In the morning, my phone would no longer boot. Since then, I've replaced the battery and it boots up just fine. However - I'm now getting a "No SIM - Insert SIM card" error on my phone. I have tried drying out the phone and have even replaced the SIM card tray on the phone, but i'm still receiving the error. All functions on the phone seem to work fine except ones that require a signal.

US Cellular is my carrier and I do not have any kind of insurance on the phone. Does anyone know any possible solutions I can try to fix it? Or places in places on the device in particular I could try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol? Also, my local phone repair shop offers a water damage service for $90 if successful, and $45 if failed. They told me they use a machine that is used to clean medical equipment to try to fix the erosion. I think he told me it vibrates extremely fast to clean it or something like that. They said they have about a 90% success rate with water damage on phones.

I would like to avoid paying the money to the phone shop if I can just do it myself. And does it sound like something the phone shop could repair? I'm fine spending $90 to have my phone fixed, but if it's most likely going to fail, I would rather save my money to buy a new phone. Please help?

Thanks!!! :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that my SIM card itself is functioning fine. When tested on other devices it is detected just fine, while other SIMs inserted into mine aren't.

Not besides opening it up and getting a copper wire brush and cleaning the corrosion off of the sim contacts

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Not besides opening it up and getting a copper wire brush and cleaning the corrosion off of the sim contacts

And no alcohol will make it even worse may be acetone but that would kill your mother board may be acetone (fingernail polish remover on a q tip bearly dipped it will eat the patina off of the copper contacts but like i said too much and it will fry your mother board so be careful

ShadyZero

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help, but I guess I'm gonna try taking it into the shop later today - hopefully it will turn out alright. Wish me luck!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
You have to open it up and get a q tip and rub acetone on it let it eat the patina on the copper (on copper its not called rust its patina) it looks green like the statue of liberty

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
OP, my Phone also went swimming today . I unmounted it and put it under the sun all day...it now works but sim cards are not recognized...
How did you fix yours?

ShadyZero

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the very late reply, and for bringing back a dead thread, but after exhausting all my options, I did end up taking the phone into the local repair shop, and they fixed it up. Screen rotation is broke and for some odd reason I can't charge the phone from a dead battery, (I need to use an external wall charger) but it works just fine. Try a local shop if you have one near you. It worked for me.

samba_aa

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
guys , i dropped my phone in water , everything working except sim card, my sim card is working with other phone, whats the solution?