No sounds when receiving a text

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S9, Android 10, One UI 2.1

Very annoying problem, I am not getting any sound when I get a text message, and so unfortunately hours may go by before I look at the phone and realize I have received a text.

I have checked the settings in the default Messenger app, they look like this (which I think is correct), so what should I try next?

Screenshot_20200917-144306_Settings.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you tap the words "New messages" (i.e., don't tap the toggle), do you get another menu, or does it just toggle the switch?

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I have checked in there, and all looks good (to me)
Screenshot_20200917-162925_Settings.jpg

I want to add that other application alerts beep at me properly. The other issue may or may not be related, the e-mail application in my Work Folder known as Secure Mail no longer beeps when I receive an e-mail. It used to beep at me, but it stopped about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't found a solution. The text messaging stopped yesterday or the day before, so I don't think the two problems are related.

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Yes volume turned up, I know that because other applications make notification sounds I can hear easily. Also bluetooth turned off.

I managed to solve the problem by downloading and installing a different text messaging app, which works properly. But ... if anyone has any thoughts on how to fix the default Messages app, I'd still like to hear them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes volume turned up, I know that because other applications make notification sounds I can hear easily. Also bluetooth turned off.

I managed to solve the problem by downloading and installing a different text messaging app, which works properly. But ... if anyone has any thoughts on how to fix the default Messages app, I'd still like to hear them.
You try clear the stock message app data, cache and force stop.?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This may sound silly, but have you restarted your phone to see if this is some sort of glitch? Sometimes a quick power off/power on will fix pesky bugs.

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for suggestions, but none of them have helped. At this point, I think I have spent enough time on the matter, and since the replacement app works properly, I'm going to just stop using the default Messages app and use the replacement app.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for suggestions, but none of them have helped. At this point, I think I have spent enough time on the matter, and since the replacement app works properly, I'm going to just stop using the default Messages app and use the replacement app.

That is understandable! I'm sorry that all of our suggestions haven't fixed the issue, though! Which third-party app are you using? Textra is a great one!

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
The application I am now using is called Pulse. So far, I like it (not only because it works), but it has a few extra features compared to the original Messages app.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The application I am now using is called Pulse. So far, I like it (not only because it works), but it has a few extra features compared to the original Messages app.

I may have heard of Pulse before. Sounds cool! What extra features does it have? I'll have to look it up and see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86