No USB connect to PC Android only shows charge cant switch to transfer

Alpha Wolf

Nov 8, 2019
Visit site
LG V20 Phone just won't show up on PC when connecting with USB.
I have 2, V20's, on one of them when I drag the settings menu down the USB charging shows up but there is no way to change it from charge to transfer.
On my other V 20 the USB does not show up at all anywhere.
Android 8.0.0 up to date.

Last edited:

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
1. Make sure you have the appropriate drivers installed on your PC
2. You'll need to turn on the Developer Option and then scroll down to Select USB Configuration > MTP > ok

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried a different USB cable? On the phone where you see the USB notification in the notification panel, what happens if you tap it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting the computer? I had almost this same thing happen last night during a large file transfer. The transfer got hung up, so I cancelled it, which then gave me an error pop-up on the phone and it no longer was detected by my laptop. Rebooting both the phone and computer got it going again.

This is also a prime example of why you should always copy and paste when transferring files. This is what I do, so no info was lost. I say this because we get a lot of questions about recovering lost data due to a corrupted "move" function.

Last edited:

Alpha Wolf

Nov 8, 2019
Visit site
I tried rebooting with no luck. I grabbed the LG phone suite, no luck.
Galactic Zoo, suggest turn on the Developer Option and then scroll down to Select USB Configuration > MTP > ok
You do mean on the PC correct, or is that on the phone, and do you mean administrator rather then developer?
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried rebooting with no luck. I grabbed the LG phone suite, no luck.
Galactic Zoo, suggest turn on the Developer Option and then scroll down to Select USB Configuration > MTP > ok
You do mean on the PC correct, or is that on the phone, and do you mean administrator rather then developer?
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Sorry the PC reboot didn't help.

What Galactic Zoo was referring to is on the phone. It sounds like you're not familiar with the developer options, so I'll start from scratch.

Go into the phone's settings menu, then select system > about phone > software info, then tap on the "build number" box repeatedly. After about 7 taps, you'll get a notice to the effect of "you're now a developer." Now back out to the system menu and you'll see the new developer options. Go into that and scroll down to the networking section. Select the "select USB configuration" option and switch it to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).

Assuming the phone even recognizes that it's being plugged into a computer and vice versa, this should default it to the ability to transfer files. If you are still having issues, then I would suspect a hardware problem preventing the phone and computer from recognizing each other. At this point I'd look at trying a new cable and making sure the ports are good.

Alpha Wolf

Nov 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Mooncatt, for the suggestion.
It didn't work unfortunately, tried with both phones 2 computers and 2 cables. Switched to MTP then to transfer photos with no luck.
When I plug one phone in the usb port, I get a window that states phone charging slow, when I plug the other phone in I get nothing, but, I think it is charging also.
I also tried to connect with the LG PC Suite, nothing.
Question, which is newer the Lg PC suite or the LG bridge?
Any other suggestions.
This is so frustrating, I use to plug it in and the PC would recognize it immediately, then one day I plugged it in and the computer made the USB connecting sound but no phone showing in this PC, almost immediately I disconnected the USB and tried again, this time I got no USB connecting sound from the PC.
I have no idea what changed.
Anything else I can try, I don't want to have to send my photos with email and eat up all my data.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Two other things to try first. Try booting into safe mode and see what happens, and also try connecting to another computer. If it works in either of those cases, it gives us a lead to follow. If it doesn't work in either case, I would look into transferring files via Wi-Fi. It's not something I know much about, other than it should be possible. You'll have to research that yourself unless someone else can chime in. That would be a work around until you can backup everything and try to reset the phone in case this is something that can fix. You could also get a USB card reader and micro-SD card to manually transfer the files. It's a little more work, but would get the job done.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter