Non stop SPAM calls & SPAM messages. How can I get my life back?

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Since the day I got my S22U I've been inundated with spam calls and messages. I block them and sometimes another one comes in before I finish. A guy at work changed his phone number to get it to stop but I have decades of contacts I don't want to lose. They've rendered my phone all but useless. Thanks N2myN2

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Does your carrier have some sort of spam blocking app. With T-Mobile the app works pretty good for me and I don't get that many spam calls.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Does your carrier have some sort of spam blocking app. With T-Mobile the app works pretty good for me and I don't get that many spam calls.
I used to have Nomorobo but it only works on robo calls and some of those are from my city offices. I have CALL FILTER built in but that is how I block the calls after they come in. It doesn't prevent them. Most of them have a number but no caller name. And then, some do.
Thanks.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I used to have Nomorobo but it only works on robo calls and some of those are from my city offices. I have CALL FILTER built in but that is how I block the calls after they come in. It doesn't prevent them. Most of them have a number but no caller name. And then, some do.
Thanks.

For $2.99 a month call filter will display the names also. IMO, it's not worth $2.99 a month

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no way around it. Once they find your number they distribute it and the spam is never ending. Been dealing with this crap 5 years solid. I got a specific ring tone for my dad and noone else calls. And yup, every time it's not my dad, it's a spam/bot call. Even had a couple get me heated because they were threatening to come whoop my ***. I laid into them with a string of cusswords and let them know if it continued I would get the police on them

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
You wouldn't lose your contacts if you changed your number, you'd just need to inform them your number changed. Although I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that.

I got fed up with it at one point and blocked all unknown callers, I also haven't had voice mail in years for this reason.

You're carrier may have some options available. Could also use do not disturb to minimize the problem at set hours.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Since the day I got my S22U I've been inundated with spam calls and messages. I block them and sometimes another one comes in before I finish. A guy at work changed his phone number to get it to stop but I have decades of contacts I don't want to lose. They've rendered my phone all but useless. Thanks N2myN2

Honestly I would suggest a Pixel... Google's call screening features are so advanced, combined with the Google Assistant, that once I set it to automatically screen and decline spam calls silently in the background my spam calls literally went to zero. Same with the Google messages app. And after I made the mistake of setting up an Uber account I was getting hammered :eek: (A mistake I quickly fixed ;) )

Pixels definitely don't have the hardware and extra features of a flagship Sammy, but they get the job done in ways Samsungs still can't seem to. But then software is Google's thing, and it is a thing they do very well.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I got fed up with it at one point and blocked all unknown callers.
Same here. If my phone gets a call from any number that's not on my contact list, it goes straight to voice mail. If the caller is legit, I can add them as a contact and call them back. Occasionally, if I'm expecting an important call from a potentially unrecognized number, I'll let all calls through for a while.

This approach wouldn't work well if I needed to take fresh calls every day. In that case, there'd be no way I know of to distinguish them from spam.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I would suggest a Pixel... Google's call screening features are so advanced, combined with the Google Assistant, that once I set it to automatically screen and decline spam calls silently in the background my spam calls literally went to zero. Same with the Google messages app. And after I made the mistake of setting up an Uber account I was getting hammered :eek: (A mistake I quickly fixed ;) )

Pixels definitely don't have the hardware and extra features of a flagship Sammy, but they get the job done in ways Samsungs still can't seem to. But then software is Google's thing, and it is a thing they do very well.

I completely agree. I can't remember the last time I got a spam call!

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Who is your carrier? I have t mobile they have an app called scamshield. I use that. And I rarely get a spam call. If rare one comes and I am expecting a call I let it go to voicemail. If it turns out not to be spam I add to contact list and call back. Otherwise I also put my cell number on both my state and national do not call list. The above Works well for me.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Same here. If my phone gets a call from any number that's not on my contact list, it goes straight to voice mail. If the caller is legit, I can add them as a contact and call them back. Occasionally, if I'm expecting an important call from a potentially unrecognized number, I'll let all calls through for a while.
Perfect! That's exactly what I need. Anybody have the time to show me how to set that up? Thank you all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Verizon locked.

From what I read about Call Filter on Verizon's website, it sounds like it's supposed to detect spam calls automatically and block them without you having to tell it after the fact, but maybe their technology is behind Google's own. Maybe Call Filter Plus does better, but you have to pay for that.

Do you routinely get calls from people outside your contact circle? If not, then you could also turn on Do Not Disturb, and only have people in your Contacts allowed to ring through.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Perfect! That's exactly what I need. Anybody have the time to show me how to set that up? Thank you all.

Whoops, I was referring to this in my previous post above. This would be part of Do Not Disturb. Go to the Do Not Disturb menu in your system settings, and select People, then Calls. You can then allow anyone in your Contacts to interrupt DND.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, I was referring to this in my previous post above. This would be part of Do Not Disturb. Go to the Do Not Disturb menu in your system settings, and select People, then Calls. You can then allow anyone in your Contacts to interrupt DND.

OK, I know what that is. I have only my immediate family in there. My DND comes on at 10pm and off at 7am. I would like every call to go to VM except those in my Contacts. Is there any way to do that? Thanks again.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Some of theses carrier should start adding something strong for spam or telemarketing ect ect , like I'm on AT&T S22 Ultra 5G Snapdragon 512GB and been using Call Protection no spam or any telemarketing gets thru with AT&T Call Protection.

36adf7d2355c2965e789569170c5b60a.jpg
dd87f699b2ba10ebd4cc3dbeeb187783.jpg
32bf80a7b809038179fb8fd86615e9af.jpg

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Can't you also use the Google Phone app instead of Samsung's? I use it instead, and it works pretty well. That's one of the Google apps I carried over from my recent Pixel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter