Not interested in your politics, Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I get that this is your site, but your opinion on political issues, or the opinion of those agreeing with you is meaningless.

That's not why I come here. I could care less what you, or the CEO of Google "think."

Stifle the urge to share it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry that you are not happy with some of the AndroidCentral articles. However, that latest one is Google news. There was no editorial content added, just the news and information provided by Google's CEO.

If one does not like specific content, whether news reporting or editorials, then he/she may always choose not to read it.

The writers may choose to publish whatever they feel is worthy, since that is their job.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Kage. Thanks for the note.

First off, it's "couldn't care less." Not "could care less." I say that not to point out a pretty common misuse of English, but because it's important for this next sentence:

I couldn't care less if Pichai's post was directed at Clinton, Sanders, Obama, Fiorina, Carson or anyone else. When the CEO of Google speaks out against the Republican frontrunner in an election cycle (indirectly or not) on an issue that's directly tied to his life experiences and ultimately the reason he's at the head of the company that's the reason this website exists in the first place, that's news. Plain and simple.

And that's why I purposefully wrote it as a straight link post. If you'd like to point out where you believe I was editorializing on anything — and that's something else I'm absolutely not afraid to do in the right context — I'll be happy to look.

Covering the news is not in and of itself a political act, even if someone disagrees with it. And I'm not going to "stifle the urge," as you say, to cover the news any more than I'm going to "stifle the urge" to close the comments in such a post — even though I know full well what's about to follow — or dare tell anyone I disagree with that their opinion is "meaningless."

I might disagree with someone, and hopefully I'll be able to back up my opinion with a fact or three. I hope they would, too. But don't you dare come to this website and tell anyone that their opinion on anything — whether they agree with me or not — is "meaningless."

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can see that you had already posted your thoughts on the article that you were referring to. Anything further could surely have been handled by sending a private message or by emailing Phil, rather than spreading all the nonsense that came with the comments to the forums, right? There was quite enough bigotry, vitriol and other inappropriate/shameful behavior in the comments there - I'm having a hard time understanding why this topic has now spilled into the forums.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think particularly the last paragraph could be misconstrued on the app as being Phil's own comments, as it was still Sundar saying he debated whether to post this.

lI come to these forums mostly now to interact with people.
Characters I like a lot have kept me on Android Central.
I don't have a decent device I need help with right now, but I have and I will.

People have views. Writers and editors have views but mostly report the news in their own particular way.

People have feelings, and being human and likeable in relating to news or an event makes a good writer.

Your view was my first thought though when I started reading that blog, that for the first time maybe this wasn't right. But then a commenter pointed out it was Google news and I reread it and it made sense. (I am slow on the uptake)

I like Phil's (or Jerry's) time - out type Sunday sermon / blog :) where you get to know the writers more. You don't have to agree with everything first to read it.

I like Phil taking time out to write a decent, well written post here that won't be seen by many.
On the blog Phil didn't make any comment at all.

Maybe it's not the blog you are complaining about, but the comments it started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smita05