Not receiving all texts, including short code texts (device issue)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

There is something bizarre going on with my phone -- in short, I am not receiving all text messages, most notably short code text messages.

I changed my phone from a Galaxy S8 to S20 a few weeks ago. I noticed here and there that I was not receiving all short code texts (e.g., texts from short phone numbers that say stuff like "Your Seamless order is on the way").

Today, I was trying to log into an account that required two-factor authentication, and no matter how many times I resent the text, I was not receiving the code.

I called and chatted my network provider (Sprint) for help about this, and they confirmed there were no blocks in my preferences and I should have been receiving all texts.

Afterwards, I pulled out an old Google Pixel 2 and activated it with my phone number. All of a sudden I received a bounty of text messages I haven't received over the past few of weeks. Among those texts was the two-factor authentication code that I never got on my S20.

Even stranger, on the Pixel, I got several backlogged short code texts from different companies which said something along the lines of

"You have now opted out of Citibank fraud alert texts."

"One-Time Passcode Alert: Your request has been received. Further messages will not be sent unless you consent or request to receive them."

"You have been unsubscribed and will no longer receive messages."

I have not opted out of any short code texts whatsoever. So I'm wondering if my S20 has automatically unsubscribed whenever it received texts from short code numbers? (Please note, I did not have this issue with my S8).

I also saw texts from some friends which I had never received on my S20, but they have iPhones so I already expected some issues there.

STEPS I HAVE ALREADY TRIED WHICH DID NOT WORK:
1) I called and chatted with Sprint. All preferences are already set to allow me to receive all text messages, and this is not a network issue.

2) I set "Premium SMS access" in my S20 settings to "Always Allow." (Prior to that, it was on "Ask.")

3) I updated my network profile and reset my network.

4) I removed and reinserted my sim card.

5) I tried texting some of the short code numbers from my S20, I received no response.

6) I tried using a messaging app that is not the stock app as the default messaging app.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you solve it?

bwalsh122

May 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi mustang7757 and B. Diddy, thanks so much for your help! I think I've resolved the issue but want to also answer your questions for the sake anyone else who might have this problem:

- I think regular texts were working okay for the most part, there are 3 friends that I was not receiving texts from
- Yes, this problem also happened in Safe Mode

But yes, I'm getting short code texts now! I spoke with Samsung support yesterday and they told me that the issue is most likely with my SIM card and that it is not fully activated, so I went back to Sprint support.

I did the following (although I think it is step #3 that fixed my problem):

1) Last night I reset the network profile by dialing ##72786# with the wifi off. After the phone restarted, I was receiving verification texts that I had requested about an hour prior. (However, that was only a temporary fix which did not work for any new incoming verification texts -- I tried to force verification texts from my bank and Sprint but did not receive them.)

2) This morning I dialed ##72786# with the wifi off and with my phone charging. Again, I received the verification texts from my bank and Sprint that I didn't receive last night.

3) I figured this could be a 5G issue since I had no issue receiving the short code texts on the Pixel 2 on LTE, so I went into Settings -> Connections -> Mobile networks. Then I switched "Network mode" from "Automatic" to "5G/4G(LTE)/CDMA".

I did this all 45 minutes ago and can still receive short code texts with no problem.

That's all, but I'll be back if this fix doesn't stick :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi mustang7757 and B. Diddy, thanks so much for your help! I think I've resolved the issue but want to also answer your questions for the sake anyone else who might have this problem:

- I think regular texts were working okay for the most part, there are 3 friends that I was not receiving texts from
- Yes, this problem also happened in Safe Mode

But yes, I'm getting short code texts now! I spoke with Samsung support yesterday and they told me that the issue is most likely with my SIM card and that it is not fully activated, so I went back to Sprint support.

I did the following (although I think it is step #3 that fixed my problem):

1) Last night I reset the network profile by dialing ##72786# with the wifi off. After the phone restarted, I was receiving verification texts that I had requested about an hour prior. (However, that was only a temporary fix which did not work for any new incoming verification texts -- I tried to force verification texts from my bank and Sprint but did not receive them.)

2) This morning I dialed ##72786# with the wifi off and with my phone charging. Again, I received the verification texts from my bank and Sprint that I didn't receive last night.

3) I figured this could be a 5G issue since I had no issue receiving the short code texts on the Pixel 2 on LTE, so I went into Settings -> Connections -> Mobile networks. Then I switched "Network mode" from "Automatic" to "5G/4G(LTE)/CDMA".

I did this all 45 minutes ago and can still receive short code texts with no problem.

That's all, but I'll be back if this fix doesn't stick :D
Thanks for the follow up , glad you got it working, and welcome to AC community!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana