Note 10+ new file system?

pughde

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Note 10+ has a new File system, I assume this means that my existing Note 8 Micro Sd card with photos will need to be recopied?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Galaxy Note forum (for the ancient original Note phone) to the Note 10+ forum.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
As a friendly reminder... If you encrypted your SD card in another phone, be sure to to decrypt it before inserting it into another. The new phone will NOT be able to decrypt it because it will not have the decryption keys!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy thinks correct - UFS 3.0 is being used for internal storage. The external storage is still SD. But ... UFS 3.0 isn't a new file system, it's new hardware. The file system is still ext3. (And the file system on the SD card is still FAT32 or exFAT, depending on the card's size but, as @svtcobra points out,, if you encrypted it in the old phone, decrypt it in the old phone first, then put it into the new phone and encrypt it. Part of the encryption key is part of the hardware of the phone.)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
B. Diddy thinks correct - UFS 3.0 is being used for internal storage. The external storage is still SD. But ... UFS 3.0 isn't a new file system, it's new hardware. The file system is still ext3. (And the file system on the SD card is still FAT32 or exFAT, depending on the card's size but, as @svtcobra points out,, if you encrypted it in the old phone, decrypt it in the old phone first, then put it into the new phone and encrypt it. Part of the encryption key is part of the hardware of the phone.)

Yup, I have a 256 card from my Note 7 that I forgot to reformat/decrypt that's basically useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88