Note 3 shut off and killed 32GB microSD?

Aaron Yow

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Note: the device is rooted but running stock Touchwiz. The card has been working fine for a few months.

Heat was almost certainly not the problem. The phone had been laying on a cool surface on idle for the past hour when I picked it up to check something. I turned away to do something else and when I turned back it was autodimming in preparation to go back into idle, the screen turned off as I went to tap it so I pressed the home button.

The navigation keys flashed for a second then went off, didn't take me long to realize my phone had shut off. I turned it back on and got a "checking SD card" message, which was weird considering I haven't even taken the back off the phone in months. It then told me that the card was blank or using an unsupported file system (the phone had originally formatted the card in the first place).

I told it to reformat the card. It went through its normal routine, then when it finished it said "SD card now safe to remove." Obviously that's not right. I go into settings and tell it to mount the card, it checks the card and tells me it's blank/formatted wrong again. I put the card in my computer and it doesn't show up, anywhere. File Explorer, Disk Management, even ran a chkdsk on drive E: (the external media) and it said invalid filepath.

It's not my SD reader or microSD adapter, I have a working microSD that works fine in the PC. Anybody know 1) why this happened and 2) if there's a way I can salvage this thing?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Why? Not unless you had recording instruments hooked up to the phone when it was happening.

2) If it's a SanDisk card, go to their site, to the Support page and start a live chat. If it's any other company's card, contact tech support, but I doubt you'll get help.

You can try putting the card into your PC again and running PhotoRec on it (you download the iso and burn a disk with it, then boot from that disk), but if the memory chis what's fried there's nothing there to salvage. (If you don't want to do the work yourself and, as I said, it's a SanDisk card, they may try to recover it for you - and replace the card. It's why theirs is the only cards I buy - great support. And they and Samsung are the only companies making the chips that go into those cards.)

Aaron Yow

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
There wasn't much on there to lose really, I'm just annoyed that it's now unusable. It is a SanDisk, Even my phone has stopped recognizing that it exists. My roommate decided to put it in his 3DS to see if he could use it and his 3DS froze when the card was inserted and unfroze when the card was removed. Pretty sure the thing is wrecked, but I do appreciate the reply.

superakuma

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is an android problem or a Samsung problem. Just about every android phone that I used(all samsung, 4 total) did this from time to time and it is pretty annoying. I didn't realized it until the last SD card failure that happened. With my note 3, I had 2 card failure so far and both time happened when I was trying to take a picture.
This is a hardware corruption, not software so the card is pretty much done with.