Note 4 (SM-N910T) no Gallery App thumbnails, very confused

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone -
It's been a while since I've been around these parts, but I recently switched from my Note 3 to the Note 4 just a week or so ago, and having only a single issue that is perplexing me that I would be very grateful if anyone knows how to troubleshoot. I've attached a screenshot of my current hardware/firmware setup in case this is needed. Screenshot_2015-12-22-09-23-26.jpg

Basically, my stock Gallery app doesn't show thumbnails of anything. When I open the Gallery, I can see all the sub-sections just fine (i.e. camera, movies, gifs, pictures, etc), but can't actually see a sample thumbnail from any of those sub-sections.
Screenshot_2015-12-22-09-21-04.jpg

If I click on one of the sub-sections (for example, Camera), I can see all the files that exist in there, but still no thumbnails. It's reading all my media files just fine, the phone is "seeing" them all.
Screenshot_2015-12-22-09-21-59.jpg

Even weirder still is that if I click on the very first picture file in that Camera sub-category, it opens the picture just fine.
Screenshot_2015-12-22-09-22-48.jpg

HOWEVER, if I try to zoom on the picture, the screen instantly goes black. Once I zoom back out, I can see the full picture again. Try to zoom in, goes black; zoom back out, see it just fine.

I currently am running a 128gb U1 Samsung MicroSD card in the phone, and have everything saved there. But I've also tried changing the settings so the phone saves a camera shot to the internal storage and the same thing still happens (no thumbnails in the Gallery or the sub-section, and no ability to zoom on the file).

I'm lost here. I've never had this issue with my LG Chocolate, S2 or Note 3. Short of a hard reset, any ideas? The phone was brand new. Truly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
It could be your memory card. Try to move a couple of the pictures to your phone. If you can see those pics correctly but not the ones on the memory card than you need a new card.

Posted via the Android Central App

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It could be your memory card. Try to move a couple of the pictures to your phone. If you can see those pics correctly but not the ones on the memory card than you need a new card.

Good suggestion. Just tried that and I get the same result(s). But I did notice something unique though. If I go into the My Files > SD Card > DCIM and then click on one of the pictures I took using the phone's camera, I can zoom in/out just fine! Totally strange.

So there's clearly something wrong with the Gallery app....

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried clearing cache/data for the gallery app? Don't worry, it won't delete your photos.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried clearing cache/data for the gallery app? Don't worry, it won't delete your photos.

Yep, just did that last night waiting in line at Magic Mountain =). I'm truly stumped, have never had this issue with an Android phone. Perhaps it's just yet another reason to root and get rid of TouchWiz.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and did a hard reset on the phone tonight. Wiped cache and data reset twice before rebooting. Still the exact same problem. No thumbnails and cannot zoom in the Gallery app.

This was a brand new SM-N910T purchase off eBay in Hong Kong. Think I should send back for a replacement? I'm concerned this was a return/refurbish.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Try to take the memory card completely out of the phone. Take a picture and see if you still have the same problem. If not it's the memory card. I have heard of cards going bad and causing all kids of problems.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Try to take the memory card completely out of the phone. Take a picture and see if you still have the same problem. If not it's the memory card. I have heard of cards going bad and causing all kids of problems.

That's actually what I did last night. I took out the SD card and did a factory data reset through the phone's settings section. This caused a reboot to the menu screen where I twice wiped the phone data and the cache partition, then rebooted and went through all the new setup.

SD card was still not in the phone. Immediately took a picture with the camera and still the same issue (no Gallery thumbnail and no ability to zoom). Could this be a bad flash of the stock image? I'm just confused on how only the Gallery app is messed up but the camera and its features still work OK.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
That's actually what I did last night. I took out the SD card and did a factory data reset through the phone's settings section. This caused a reboot to the menu screen where I twice wiped the phone data and the cache partition, then rebooted and went through all the new setup.

SD card was still not in the phone. Immediately took a picture with the camera and still the same issue (no Gallery thumbnail and no ability to zoom). Could this be a bad flash of the stock image? I'm just confused on how only the Gallery app is messed up but the camera and its features still work OK.

Sounds like you need to take a trip to your carrier and talk to them.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need to take a trip to your carrier and talk to them.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of since I bought new through a Hong Kong seller on ebay. Doubt the T-MO store will give me any help. Sounds like my stock firmware is corrupt.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure, but will Samsung Kies allow you to repair or replace your firmware? Maybe?

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of since I bought new through a Hong Kong seller on ebay. Doubt the T-MO store will give me any help. Sounds like my stock firmware is corrupt.

Ouch. So you don't have insurance or anything.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, but will Samsung Kies allow you to repair or replace your firmware? Maybe?

I could try that. I thought Kies is a stock app on TouchWiz, right? I don't have it right now after I factory reset last night, and didn't find on Google Play. Am I looking in the wrong place?

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ouch. So you don't have insurance or anything.

No it's OK still right now. It comes with a 90-day warranty and was still bought through eBay, so I'm protected. I just started tinkering with it last week. I've been communicating with the seller this week, too, just to see what their thoughts are in case I need to return it.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I could try that. I thought Kies is a stock app on TouchWiz, right? I don't have it right now after I factory reset last night, and didn't find on Google Play. Am I looking in the wrong place?

No, it's on the computer. Google Samsung Kies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder