Nougat 7.1 Dev preview bugs?

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Any of you all are having issues with 7.1.1, do a FDR. I had battery issue until I wiped, now battery life is better than it ever was.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Having an issue with the device dropping the WiFi connection and requiring me to manually re-connect. Happens several times throughout the day.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Having an issue with the device dropping the WiFi connection and requiring me to manually re-connect. Happens several times throughout the day.
I've had this as well
Have you (both) done the obvious things?
- wipe system cache in Recovery
- boot into Safe mode and see if problem still exists
- perform a Factory Reset

Assuming that the problem didn't occur with the 7.0 final build, and none of the previous suggestions made any difference, what about rolling back to the 7.0 final build? All you have to do is unenroll from the beta.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Have you (both) done the obvious things?
- wipe system cache in Recovery
- boot into Safe mode and see if problem still exists
- perform a Factory Reset

Assuming that the problem didn't occur with the 7.0 final build, and none of the previous suggestions made any difference, what about rolling back to the 7.0 final build? All you have to do is unenroll from the beta.

I have not done any of those things, it happened a bunch of times the first 2 days but hasn't happened again since. It wasn't happening in 7.0, sure I can factory reset but tbh I find it frustrating as I lose all my texts and app data.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have not done any of those things, it happened a bunch of times the first 2 days but hasn't happened again since.
Well that's good to know. If it does happen again you can do the first two options (wipe system cache in Recovery mode; boot into Safe mode) without fear of losing any data.

If you're worried about losing your data there are apps out there that can help. Here are a couple:

SMS Backup & Restore https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&token=a1Gh0o3O - as the title suggests, this makes a backup of your SMS and MMS (and also your Call history) to Google Drive, Dropbox and other cloud services

Helium https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=90nPXnID - this one allows you to backup your apps and app data (no root required; you will require the paid version to backup/restore using cloud services, but you can try it out using a local backup for free)

YMMV

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had a couple of specific wifi networks drop, but they're public hotspots from Xfinity and have never been terribly reliable. My home and work wifi networks haven't had any issues on 7.1.1

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Well that's good to know. If it does happen again you can do the first two options (wipe system cache in Recovery mode; boot into Safe mode) without fear of losing any data.

If you're worried about losing your data there are apps out there that can help. Here are a couple:

SMS Backup & Restore https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&token=lyaOIdAc - as the title suggests, this makes a backup of your SMS and MMS (and also your Call history) to Google Drive, Dropbox and other cloud services

Helium https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=3S1zylEB - this one allows you to backup your apps and app data (no root required; you will require the paid version to backup/restore using cloud services, but you can try it out using a local backup for free)

YMMV

Extremely helpful!!! Thank you :)

My only major problem right now is that Android OS and Android System are the biggest battery draining "apps", it seems others have this issue and if its a common problem with 7.0/7.1.1 then theres no real reason for me to factory reset.

I used to Wipe cache from Recovery all the time on other devices but with the Nexus 6P i was confused but figured it out yesterday and did it, reboot...No help.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My only major problem right now is that Android OS and Android System are the biggest battery draining "apps"
Well, when you think about it the OS is what's doing all the work, so other than perhaps the screen I'd expect it to be near the top of the list. GSam shows a slightly different breakdown of battery usage
a9da17453854592a05f6ea1158e9528d.jpg
but the important thing is really: are you getting a reasonable amount of screen on time for the total time since the last charge? If you're getting 3 to 4 hours of screen on time before getting down to 20% charge, and the Awake time closely matches the Screen on time in the History details, then that's probably all you can expect without looking deeper at wakelocks, etc.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, when you think about it the OS is what's doing all the work, so other than perhaps the screen I'd expect it to be near the top of the list. GSam shows a slightly different breakdown of battery usage//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/a9da17453854592a05f6ea1158e9528d.jpgbut the important thing is really: are you getting a reasonable amount of screen on time for the total time since the last charge? If you're getting 3 to 4 hours of screen on time before getting down to 20% charge, and the Awake time closely matches the Screen on time in the History details, then that's probably all you can expect without looking deeper at wakelocks, etc.

Rarely do I get 2+ hours of SoT with this device. With that said, I do generally get more than 24hrs off charge so that's not really a big concern. My screen brightness is set to 15-20%, no auto brightness. I don't find Doze kicking in since 7.0, I don't have a lot of apps and the ones I have are popular (top 50 type) non notification intensive, the only one I get notifications about is clash royale.

I am considering the factory reset as Doze isn't kicking in and I'm suspecting it would be resolved. No apps seem to be waking my device at night so I am suspecting its a hung process in background for Android.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, when you think about it the OS is what's doing all the work, so other than perhaps the screen I'd expect it to be near the top of the list.

Just wanted to expand on this... Unless you are a 'turn and burn' user where your phone never gets put down, that means that the thing is sitting there on a table, or desk, or in your pocket, etc. not doing much. And when its just sitting there doing 'nothing', the biggest consumer of power is basically Android just going about the boring business of keeping the phone running. Other apps that pop up only do so for a short amount of time, say to check for new emails. So the longer your phone sits there idle, the more you'll see those boring Android OS processes consuming power.

It isn't that they are consuming MORE power than needed (though, that of course can happen), it just means that there isn't anything else going on so the only thing that can use power is the OS.

In fact, if your phone is sitting idle and anything other than those system functions are the top drain, THAT'S when you got a problem.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ambient light sensor settings have either been changed or there's a bug within them now.

I used to keep my 6p (on 7.0) on autobrightness with the slider on the middle point or ever-so-slightly below middle/half. Now, indoors especially, the screen is WAY too dim on that setting. This was an immediate difference when I switched to beta (it was the first thing I noticed the very next hour after installing).
It also definitely takes a much larger increment increase on the slider in order to actually change the display's brightness. It used to change the brightness with much smaller incremental changes on the slider.

My phone seems to just stay very dim in general now unless I put the brightness slider very far up, at least past the halfway. I'd say 65% and higher (admittedly an arbitrary percentage).

As far as bugs go, this is one that's not a big deal.

Leemo26

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Downloaded the 7.1 Beta on Nexus 6P. Charged up to 100% and I'm currently sitting on 78% with 1hr 18mins of SOT time. I've just been scrolling through Facebook, surfing the web, reading the news and watching a couple 5min YouTube videos. Also note that I've been on low brightness, poor cellular signal and Wi-fi on for the whole time. I think my battery may be a little bit better on the beta compared to 7.0 Public but still not the same as Marshmallow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia