Now I understand why people root their phones.... (venting here folks....)

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying. However, I think you're on the more extreme side of the spectrum of using your phone for its basic functions (calls, light texting, calendar, internet) but I do agree the consumers should have the option at the very least to do whatever they want with their apps on their devices. Come preinstalled is cool for those who want it readily available but if I want to get rid of it I should be able to....

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I can really relate to this. Ever since my first smartphone 5-10 phones ago I have thought about rooting every single one just to get rid of the bloat. I get that it doesn't bother some people, but, it bothers me. It bothers me it's there, running, effecting the performance of the phone, even just very little, and I have no use for it. If I could get simply 5 more minutes of battery life removing this junk that's appealing to me. I hate seeing it there to, hate that some apps now can't even be disabled.

Two things have kept me from rooting every phone:
1. The fact I have no idea what I am doing and am completely lost at every other word when I read a root guide.
2. Warranty void and the chance I will need support on the phone and I can no longer get it.

But if the Note3 is a worse offender than the Note2 with bloat I might just finally take the plunge and attempt to root. I think if the process was easier, I would have done it already on a previous phone.

I know there are 1 million threads on rooting but they are really confusing to me so if I could just ask a couple questions regarding this post topic: For those rooting experts, if my main objective is to simply get rid off bloat to maximize the performance of the phone, how difficult is this? I do not have any interest in "flashing roms", I want to use whatever the official current version of Android is, is this possible to do and just remove the bloat to increase performance? If so, do I unroot to then get another OTA when it's released and then root again? Thanks... I wouldn't say I am tech stupid, I recently built a HTPC and can handle technology more than the average folk but this world of rooting is totally foreign to me and I get a little nervous reading the how to guides.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I can really relate to this. Ever since my first smartphone 5-10 phones ago I have thought about rooting every single one just to get rid of the bloat. I get that it doesn't bother some people, but, it bothers me. It bothers me it's there, running, effecting the performance of the phone, even just very little, and I have no use for it. If I could get simply 5 more minutes of battery life removing this junk that's appealing to me. I hate seeing it there to, hate that some apps now can't even be disabled.

Two things have kept me from rooting every phone:
1. The fact I have no idea what I am doing and am completely lost at every other word when I read a root guide.
2. Warranty void and the chance I will need support on the phone and I can no longer get it.

But if the Note3 is a worse offender than the Note2 with bloat I might just finally take the plunge and attempt to root. I think if the process was easier, I would have done it already on a previous phone.

I know there are 1 million threads on rooting but they are really confusing to me so if I could just ask a couple questions regarding this post topic: For those rooting experts, if my main objective is to simply get rid off bloat to maximize the performance of the phone, how difficult is this? I do not have any interest in "flashing roms", I want to use whatever the official current version of Android is, is this possible to do and just remove the bloat to increase performance? If so, do I unroot to then get another OTA when it's released and then root again? Thanks... I wouldn't say I am tech stupid, I recently built a HTPC and can handle technology more than the average folk but this world of rooting is totally foreign to me and I get a little nervous reading the how to guides.

Okay, as I've stated in a few threads I'm no expert. However, you can be on KitKat with root, just not the latest OTA version. Go to this thread

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=390741

Scroll down to my posts about getting on KitKat with root. It really is pretty easy if you follow the instructions to a T. I've been running it almost since I got my N3 a few weeks ago. Absolutely zero problems. I feel bad for those that have issues, whatever they may be. I just think they're either app related, bad hardware and/or bad battery (those with battery issues), or bad flashes. Not trying to offend anyone when I say that. But I've done both OTA and leaked rom flashes with and without root with three different 4G Verizon phones (probably half dozen or more with my Droid Bionic) and have yet to suffer any issues with any of them like many report.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted but my biggest beef is even if I am WILLING to give up my warranty I have to resort to insecure third party developers I do not know just to root my phone. Some manufacturers like HTC used to let you unlock bootloader on their website at the price of losing warranty. It was my decision and perfectly willing to lose warranty for a more secure route to root access.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If you really want control over your Android phone buy the "Developer" edition that Google authorizes for manufacturers. They let you unlock the bootloader and install your own ROM on them, like Cyanogenmod which gives you much more control, or you can tweak your own from source code. I'm thinking about getting the Motorola Droid Maxx Developer Edition and while it's compatible with my carrier (Verizon) it is not "certified" in their system (which just means it has their own ID) so they could not guarantee it would work on their network (though I've heard my SIM card will allow it to), however other carriers like AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile don't have that restriction that I know of.

spookiewon

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
You talk like the bloatware is necessary to today's smartphones. News flash! It's not. I've been in the computing industry for 30+ years, and I share his frustration. It's MY device. I paid for it. Not only should I be able to uninstall anything I want to, I should be able to change the OS if I want to; just like I did with every desktop and laptop computer I ever bought. Bloatware isn't "the price we pay" to have powerful smartphones instead of flip phones, it's an added profit center for the carriers and manufacturers.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
You talk like the bloatware is necessary to today's smartphones. News flash! It's not. I've been in the computing industry for 30+ years, and I share his frustration. It's MY device. I paid for it. Not only should I be able to uninstall anything I want to, I should be able to change the OS if I want to; just like I did with every desktop and laptop computer I ever bought. Bloatware isn't "the price we pay" to have powerful smartphones instead of flip phones, it's an added profit center for the carriers and manufacturers.

Just like in the desktop and laptop world, you can do anything you want....once you become root (or administrator).

And just like a desktop or laptop, once your software is no longer approved, you can no longer join a "domain."

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk