Now Playing History option has disappeared

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
While I've had continual issues with the Now Playing feature, things have gotten worse. Previously, like a lot of people NP would just stop working. I could always get it to work by rebooting the phone. It would work for 2 days then stop.

Now, I just noticed that the home screen shortcut I had for the NP history has disappeared. I went into the settings for NP. To my surprise the setting for history is gone?
I've googled this option and there should be a option here to enable viewing the history. But, I don't have it?

Anyone else having this issue? This is a Pixel 3, that's still running with the Jan 2019 update. Here's a screenshot of what I see. There should be a paragraph pertaining to viewing history here - or at least there used to be.
Screenshot_20190219-171656.jpg

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
What happens from settings search if you search for the word NOW?

See the screenshot below when I search Help for "now". Selecting any of the 3 options goes to the same Now Playing setting screen where the Now Playing History is still missing. There should be some songs listed there as in your screenshot as I just did some testing where it correctly identified several songs.

This morning I received the Feb 2019 update. But, after applying that, nothing has changed. Still no option for displaying the history.

This is very strange. How can something like this just disappear from the device? I'm beginning to think I may have to do a factory reset. I just don't want to go through all of the steps resetting everything up again.

Screenshot.png

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
if you had enabled developer option try closing it and reboot your device and test again.

Thanks, but I already tried that (discovered that possible solution in one of my many earlier searches on this). I have also tried disabling batter optimization for the Pixel Ambient svc.
Still no history :(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, but I already tried that (discovered that possible solution in one of my many earlier searches on this). I have also tried disabling batter optimization for the Pixel Ambient svc.
Still no history :(

So in the now playing you don't have the option to add to home screen ?

Last edited:

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
So in the now playing you don't gave the option to add to home screen ?

Correct. As shown in the screenshot on my 1st post, I don't have the option for "history" being displayed at all. I previously had this enabled with the shortcut on the home screen. It was just a couple of days ago I noticed the shortcut had disappeared - and with no way of restoring it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Correct. As shown in the screenshot on my 1st post, I don't have the option for "history" being displayed at all. I previously had this enabled with the shortcut on the home screen. It was just a couple of days ago I noticed the shortcut had disappeared - and with no way of restoring it.

It's crazy , send a report to Google

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I guess.
But I know what their first response will be - "have you done a factory reset yet?" I'm trying to avoid doing one of those. Though it looks inevitable.

**UPDATE**
I contacted Pixel support. They asked that I do a factory reset. Kinda figured they would.

**UPDATE PART 2**
A factory reset didn't fix the problem. Google requested a bug file. I emailed them the bug file. Their response after that was - "we're looking into the issue" And then after that there was a follow up response that basically said, "don't call us, we'll call you". So, I guess that's probably the end of it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ron1morgan