Nvidia Shield Streaming Issues

David Dutton1

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
First of.. you NEVER want steam in Big Picture mode. This will HIGHLY cause issues with GFExperience. A LONG time ago Big Screen was required when the

handheld shields were first released.

For The shield console , or Android TV, you MUST log into nvidia BOTH on the shield and your PC with the SAME log ins. you can NOT just bind the console to

a PC using the pin number the handheld and tablet use

Lastly, you can really stream just about ANY game that has controller support. I've hand a handheld since they first came out, then a tablet and now the

console.

I stream DCUO which technically isn't supported... I stream a LOT of games that "aren't supported"

So far the ONLY games that have controller support I can't get to work are: Telltale's games: The Walking Dead 1, The Wolf Among US, and any older

versions of their games. The WD2, Game of Thrones, Borderlands, all stream just fine.

So basically the rule of thumb is: IF THE PC GAME HAS CONTROLLER SUPPORT, 95% OF THE TIME YOU CAN STREAM THE GAME

You should have GOOD Wifi.... unless you are in the country, 2.4Ghz will be too crowded and you will have too much jitter, too much lag, etc

You need to be up on 5Ghz as 5Ghz signals are weak and dont go far and don't go through walls well.. that way it's harder to interfere with a neighbor.. plus there's more channels up there... MINIMALLY you want 5GHz, 802.11N, and it set at 40MHz channel so you can get a full 350Mbits. Granted you only need about 25-50Mbits for game streaming. I use a wired connection. I got tired of flakey wifi and paid someone to Run a 2 Cat 7 runs in my house

For the BEST performance, get an ASUS 802.11AC router.. the console will use that in 2x2MIMO for 833Mbit of speed. Most of the ASUS can do 3x3 but most devices dont yet.

1) from my upstairs office (where my cable modem and main router/wifi ap is) to my master bedroom
2) to my LV room

.. and then I put an 8 port hub in the M. Bedroom and Lv room...

This way, in my LV room my Xbone, ps4, apple tv, directv dvr, ps3 are all WIRED. Also connected to that 8 port hub is a 4 port router/AP running in AP only mode

My Shield is in my M. bed room as I have major issues with my knees and can only sit at my PC for no more than 2-3 hrs a day. This way I Can play in my bed.... and with everything wired, it all runs at 1Gbps or 1000Mbps... ping times are <1ms, and there's usually 0 jitter and 0 frame loss. I also got the 1Gbps hubs that are 10Gbps on the inside... meaning if 2 devices want to talk at 1Gbps and use that much data, it won't slow down the whole wired network as long as that's no going across 1 or 2 of my "backbones"

but back to the shield devices

I'll say it again... you can stream 95% of ANY games that support a controller EVEN IF NVIDIA doesn't have it on their list and even if they outright say IT"S NOT COMPATABLE... most of the time, the game is, it's just that nvidia does not and will not take the time to test EVERY game out there... they mostly just test the major titles.

My ONLY issue with things are:

1) the nvidia login server goes down... a LOT.. if that happens, you cant stream ANYthing because you can't log in!!! I want to be able to use a PIN with the android tv/console!
2) NUMEROUS things can prevent a stream session from starting: a browser window open...etc basically it doesn't like having ANYTHING up on the screen before you start a session... and my PC pops up this box EVERY night at 5am wanting to know what program to open something in... and if I chohse notepad, it opens programdata.txt LOL (it's no virus.. I checked).. it's some task the PC runs that I need to stop... my point is you don't want ANY windows up b4 streaming... make sure EVERYTHING is MINIMIZED.

oh and you CAN do things like run a games launcher, etc.. you just have to hold the start button on the controller and use the mouse on the R stick to click play, etc... and most of the time, the game MUST be in FULL SCREEN MODE

There also is a trick, and I forgot how to do it where you can just "stream your desktop".. google it... if you do THAT... then you can launch any game that will work and stream it that way but it is NOT optimal.. you will loose about 10-15% of streaming performance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali