Observations after a week with my S22U compared to my N20U... Agree? Disagree? Add your own thoughts

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So finally unboxing my phone and setting it up and using it for a week I am getting to get familiar with it and notice things about the S22U and some compared against the N20U and thought I'd use a post to share little comments and observations and see if people agree and also notice or disagree or have some observations of their own they found compared to their previous phone??

1. 2nd gen FPS is on a whole another level better than the previous gen on my N20U and Note 8. I thought N20U was much better cause Note 8 FPS was trash but the S22U even if Spigen NeoFlex protector I rank up there with FaceID working on my iPhone or even as well as capacitive FPS on older iPhones. Note, I have very thin prints skin and prints on my fingers are super thin and on top of that get dry at time so prints get dry and crackly so always been a problem on the Samsungs. Never an issue with capacitive sensors. So this as been an extra bonus to upgrading my phone for me.

2. Volume on S22U... not as loud as the volume on my Note 20U? I'm thinking if it's just as loud... definitely not louder at max. But when watching YouTube in back of my mind think it's not as loud as max on my Note 20U.

3. Cameras improved over the N20U. Overall quality of the pics of few shots, the detail and color seems improved so I'm happy with upgrading my phone since that was my primary reason.

4. Display not washed out in landscape mode when wearing sunglasses with polarized lenses compared to my Note 8. A Note (pun intended) I found interesting I wear RayBans with polarized lenses and with my Note 20U if I rotate to landscape the display gets washed out and unviewable. But with the S22U panel, I can look at screen in portrait or landscape and display stays clear and sharp.

5: Haptic/Vibration motor on S22U weak... borderline trash?? Definitely noticed this as I start getting more use and carrying around and getting message notifications. Weak is an understatement. Even when laying on a surface. I think I just turned it off then waste any more battery on it.

Overall a good successor to the Note 20U. Worth it if you can get a good deal on your older phone or trade.

Last edited:

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the weak vibration compared to my previous phone. I barely hear or feel it so I rarely use it.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree with all you said except I haven't had experience with #4. I have polarized lenses on my sunglasses, so I will have to go out on a sunny day & test.

I do find that the battery life, in my case, is not as robust as my Note 20U. I get an extra day out of the Note 20U, even at its age, running pretty much the same apps. But I still get on the average 2 days usage the s22U so that's great for me.

I bought the s22U to support the built-in spen feature. I do use spen quite a bit & my Husband is beginning to use it more on his s22U. I also was interested in the camera specs. Summertime is my camping season. The Note 20U took beautiful pictures, but after setting up my Sister's s21U, I thought that camera was even better. So I have high hopes for the s22U camera. I have missed the Spring camping season. My husband has a radial fracture. So maybe in July.

Overall, I'm pleased with the s22U, but I did keep my Note 20U as a backup.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I had to edit my original post I meant to say when I rotated my Note 20 Ultra to landscape wearing my RayBans the display got washed out, not my Note 8 (don't remember how it was with my N8).

Probably has to do with the way the pixels are arranged with the newer panel or the refresh rate making a diff(?) but it's a nice little improvement I noticed when I outside and using it with my shades. :cool:

Loved my N20U and wish I could keep both. Would have been happy if they didn't have a great offer even though I did have the "Black Screen of Death" on my N20U. But after the hassle with UBreakIFix and getting it back... loved it.

Jury is out on the battery life but I expect it to be better one settled in. Constant setting up of my phone with everything the N22U had I've been going through battery pretty quickly.

N20U was no slouch on battery but hoping better with this 5000 mah battery. For now I'm not maxing out the brightness setting at half. Whether warranted or not I usually keep my bright at 50% for a while when new to slowly break in the screen. I live in Florida where if I let it run with Adaptive it will burn at full 1700 nits outside all the time and don't want to risk burning or even ghosting.

I agree with all you said except I haven't had experience with #4. I have polarized lenses on my sunglasses, so I will have to go out on a sunny day & test.

I do find that the battery life, in my case, is not as robust as my Note 20U. I get an extra day out of the Note 20U, even at its age, running pretty much the same apps. But I still get on the average 2 days usage the s22U so that's great for me.

I bought the s22U to support the built-in spen feature. I do use spen quite a bit & my Husband is beginning to use it more on his s22U. I also was interested in the camera specs. Summertime is my camping season. The Note 20U took beautiful pictures, but after setting up my Sister's s21U, I thought that camera was even better. So I have high hopes for the s22U camera. I have missed the Spring camping season. My husband has a radial fracture. So maybe in July.

Overall, I'm pleased with the s22U, but I did keep my Note 20U as a backup.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I used both phones daily....
S 22 ULTRA Excels is many places...
Only I agree speaker volume is less in s22 ultra compared to Note 20U
Rest I love S22 ultra is better

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The S22 Ultra display is superior to anything else before it. That alone should make anyone upgrade to it IMO

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The S22 Ultra display is superior to anything else before it. That alone should make anyone upgrade to it IMO

Honestly, once I gotten it setup exactly as my N20U and they are side by side... I personally can't tell the diff. The N20U screen was no slouch. Even for a two year old phone. Heck when I walk to my desk to grab my phone and they are laying face up side by side at first glance I can't tell which was which.

That (display) alone make it worth the upgrade from N20U to S22U? Not me. Upgrade for the cameras? For me, yes. But then... only if you can upgrade for $200-300 out of pocket.

Attachments

• A6DE7491-B37C-4464-B870-68DA06C0E7F3.jpg
    A6DE7491-B37C-4464-B870-68DA06C0E7F3.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 1D89966C-F425-440E-889E-E97548028671.jpg
    1D89966C-F425-440E-889E-E97548028671.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, once I gotten it setup exactly as my N20U and they are side by side... I personally can't tell the diff. The N20U screen was no slouch. Even for a two year old phone. Heck when I walk to my desk to grab my phone and they are laying face up side by side at first glance I can't tell which was which.

That (display) alone make it worth the upgrade from N20U to S22U? Not me. Upgrade for the cameras? For me, yes. But then... only if you can upgrade for $200-300 out of pocket.
The n20 u and s22u are the same phone. To me the camera improvements are the only differences between them.Everything else is the same. I feel I wasted my upgrade getting the same phone , but at least the s22u is still up to par with my n20u.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The n20 u and s22u are the same phone. To me the camera improvements are the only differences between them.Everything else is the same. I feel I wasted my upgrade getting the same phone , but at least the s22u is still up to par with my n20u.
Almost exactly the same , little better battery life , screen brightness and cameras

Walter Wagenleithner

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I did the upgrade from the smaller Note 10. As I used smart switch with all the homescreen settings etc. and also the form factor is similar (though a little bigger) I felt "at home" instantly. But for me there are also enough improvements to be exited about, especially in the camera section. So for me the upgrade was definitely worth it ;)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
You'll also get several years of updates if that's important to you.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Not if the speakers are weaker and the sound quality is not as good as the previous. The new panel even though brighter I'll say most people can't tell a major difference between the N20U panel and the S22U panel so the speakers negate or bring down the experience of any noticeable improvement in the screen.

The more media I watch, the S22U speakers are clearly weaker and the sound quality is not as good as the N20U was.

I tried messing with the settings available... Changing the sound profile from "Normal" to "Rock" definitely gave a better sound. But still could be better.

Question... Wasn't there a sound/EQ app available in Good Lock or at least in the Galaxy store to tweak the sound/EQ? Could have sworn there was one when I had my N20U.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-101532_SoundAlive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-101532_SoundAlive.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220619-101221_SoundAlive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-101221_SoundAlive.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 42

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Not if the speakers are weaker and the sound quality is not as good as the previous. The new panel even though brighter I'll say most people can't tell a major difference between the N20U panel and the S22U panel so the speakers negate or bring down the experience of any noticeable improvement in the screen.

The more media I watch, the S22U speakers are clearly weaker and the sound quality is not as good as the N20U was.

I tried messing with the settings available... Changing the sound profile from "Normal" to "Rock" definitely gave a better sound. But still could be better.

Question... Wasn't there a sound/EQ app available in Good Lock or at least in the Galaxy store to tweak the sound/EQ? Could have sworn there was one when I had my N20U.
Only thing in GoodLuck is Sound Assistance.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Now I've tested my AT&T S22 Ultra 5G Snapdragon 512GB and my AT&T Note20 Ultra 5G Snapdragon 512GB on the speakers and to tell you the true they sound equal to me they both are loud as hell on my 2 AT&T devices.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Only thing in GoodLuck is Sound Assistance.

Had to take a second look and I forget about the Family section at the bottom of Good Lock. Lol seems as though Store is down so I'll try later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-110145_Galaxy Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-110145_Galaxy Store.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 38

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Now I've tested my AT&T S22 Ultra 5G Snapdragon 512GB and my AT&T Note20 Ultra 5G Snapdragon 512GB on the speakers and to tell you the true they sound equal to me they both are loud as hell on my 2 AT&T devices.

You seem to have a super healthy phone with speakers as good as the N20U and in other post your battery life is insane. :)

Maybe they overstuffed my sound chambers on my S22U with too many speaker balls and affecting sound. :confused:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Almost 10 EST and since my last post on this I am still getting this error message when trying to access the Galaxy Store. Just wondering if anyone experiencing the same issue? Unlocked on AT&T. Thanks.

Had to take a second look and I forget about the Family section at the bottom of Good Lock. Lol seems as though Store is down so I'll try later.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Almost 10 EST and since my last post on this I am still getting this error message when trying to access the Galaxy Store. Just wondering if anyone experiencing the same issue? Unlocked on AT&T. Thanks.
No issues here with factory unlocked on Verizon. Screenshot_20220619-215336_Galaxy Store.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz