Official Sprint EVO 4G Gingerbread update

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am running GB with cm7 everything is working great my GPS and HDMI are both working without any problems I use it as my everyday Rom.
Fred

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
whoever is rooted shouldn't really care if another update comes through, or am i wrong?

You are actually wrong for 5 reasons(that I can think of).

First off, until a HTC-Built version of 2.3.3 for Evo comes out, you will not see Warm or Fresh or Evio or any other sense-based ROM getting upgraded to Gingerbread. Right now only ASOP roms are getting GB because by definition for a ROM to be what is commonly called Sense-Based, it has to be a hacked up version of a Stock rom(as i understand the process). A lot of people prefer Sense-based ROMS because as a hacked version of an HTC rom they generally have fewer hardware related bugs... indeed bugs in general. For example, ASOP roms can't record in 720p video for some reason that I don't understand. I personally can't wait to try Warm Two Point Three ^_^. I'm on CM7 now and that's nice but the bugs are very annoying.

Secondly, there are those who are only rooted because they want Gingerbread. Many may go back to Stock S-Off(or On even) if they can still have Gingerbread.

Third. Resell value. Eventually you are gonna want a new phone. And when you get it you are gonna un-root and re-stock yours. And if you can push Gingerbread to it, it will fetch a few more bucks on the open market.

Also, a great many users Root to get Tether and AdVBlock and SetCPU etc, but do not have the interest or technical skills to flash custom ROMS and this this update will help them a lot.

Lastly, Sense 2.0. Warm Z is out, and it does have 2.0 Sense. But it's very buggy as it's a port from some other phone. It has no HDMI or 4g, among other bugs. So if Myn has a nice shiny new stock-rom to work with that was specifically designed for the Evo, there won't be any hardware problems like that :)

Last edited:

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You are actually wrong for 5 reasons(that I can think of).

First off, until a HTC-Built version of 2.3.3 for Evo comes out, you will not see Warm or Fresh or Evio or any other sense-based ROM getting upgraded to Gingerbread. Right now only ASOP roms are getting GB because by definition for a ROM to be what is commonly called Sense-Based, it has to be a hacked up version of a Stock rom(as i understand the process). A lot of people prefer Sense-based ROMS because as a hacked version of an HTC rom they generally have fewer hardware related bugs... indeed bugs in general. For example, ASOP roms can't record in 720p video for some reason that I don't understand. I personally can't wait to try Warm Two Point Three ^_^. I'm on CM7 now and that's nice but the bugs are very annoying.

Secondly, there are those who are only rooted because they want Gingerbread. Many may go back to Stock S-Off(or On even) if they can still have Gingerbread.

Third. Resell value. Eventually you are gonna want a new phone. And when you get it you are gonna un-root and re-stock yours. And if you can push Gingerbread to it, it will fetch a few more bucks on the open market.

Also, a great many users Root to get Tether and AdVBlock and SetCPU etc, but do not have the interest or technical skills to flash custom ROMS and this this update will help them a lot.

Lastly, Sense 2.0. Warm Z is out, and it does have 2.0 Sense. But it's very buggy as it's a port from some other phone. It has no HDMI or 4g, among other bugs. So if Myn has a nice shiny new stock-rom to work with that was specifically designed for the Evo, there won't be any hardware problems like that :)
Wow, i think my brain just exploded :) now i learned 2 things today, 1. College sports suck, 2. Your brain is that of a charlie sheen of android.

But IMO!, gingerbread is still not better then Warm2.2 and i don't notice any bugs. (that i know of)

my phone feels the same as when i bought it only difference is that its looks cooler giving it that professional business like look, its much much much faster and i got free tethering. thats a Win.

i don't have 4g in broke down detroit so having it or not having it doesn't put any hair on my azz.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, i think my brain just exploded :) now i learned 2 things today, 1. College sports suck, 2. Your brain is that of a charlie sheen of android.

But IMO!, gingerbread is still not better then Warm2.2 and i don't notice any bugs. (that i know of)

my phone feels the same as when i bought it only difference is that its looks cooler giving it that professional business like look, its much much much faster and i got free tethering. thats a Win.

i don't have 4g in broke down detroit so having it or not having it doesn't put any hair on my azz.

Gingerbread is better. Most of the stuff is underneath the surface. Warm 2.2 is nice but Warm 2.3 will be much better. I use Warm 2.2 as well as CM7(I switch as needed). You could say I'm Bi-Android...or Bi-Winning! The bugs in 2.2 are situational, but major and annoying if they matter to you. I do live in a 4g market so thats major. I do use HDMI out so thats major too. As fast as you think Warm is, CM7RC4 is much faster, trust me on this as someone who uses both :)

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread is better. Most of the stuff is underneath the surface. Warm 2.2 is nice but Warm 2.3 will be much better. I use Warm 2.2 as well as CM7(I switch as needed). You could say I'm Bi-Android...or Bi-Winning! The bugs in 2.2 are situational, but major and annoying if they matter to you. I do live in a 4g market so thats major. I do use HDMI out so thats major too. As fast as you think Warm is, CM7RC4 is much faster, trust me on this as someone who uses both :)

oh i don't doubt anything both you guys say. i guess im a lucky dude that found his perfect rom.

I'm not even sure if 4g or the hdmi output works or not?

& Can you send me a link to CM7RC4? gotta experience that myself there buddy;)

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You need a custom recovery, if you use Rom Manager it installs Clockwork. Just remeber to flash the updated version of clockwork.

Oh im not flashing i was just wondering cause in the installation it said you need to download Clockwork Mod Recovery and thought that you could only use that i was just wondering.

im not a big fan of CM. i'm new to this rooting thing and CM just doesn't take to my liking just yet. they never have screenshots and hear about difficulties and faults in there programs.

mancha

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I spoke with a tech last week at a Sprint corporate store that told me gingerbread should be out for the Evo in about 6 weeks. I wouldn't take it as gospel, so much as a little bit of hope.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of speculation in this thread that if HTC updates the EVO to GB that it will also come with Sense 2.0? Just wondering where that info is coming from? I think it would be in HTC's and Sprint's best interest to not roll out Sense 2.0 with a GB update if they want more people to migrate to the new EVO 3D. This would keep the two devices separate enough to still get people to upgrade their HW, while at the same time keeping the people/customers with old HW happy. I'm not saying this is how they will do it, I'm just saying that this makes the most "Sense" to me. :)

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought Sense 3.0 is for the EVO 3D and Sense 2.0 was the Thunderbolt??? Anyways, what I read is that EVO 4G (OG) is getting gingerbread and some "aspects" of the new Sense but not a full upgrade to Sense 2.0 or 3.0.

http://twitter.com/#!/htc/status/58540996060921856

There is a lot of speculation in this thread that if HTC updates the EVO to GB that it will also come with Sense 2.0? Just wondering where that info is coming from? I think it would be in HTC's and Sprint's best interest to not roll out Sense 2.0 with a GB update if they want more people to migrate to the new EVO 3D. This would keep the two devices separate enough to still get people to upgrade their HW, while at the same time keeping the people/customers with old HW happy. I'm not saying this is how they will do it, I'm just saying that this makes the most "Sense" to me. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotNot84