Oh No! Has "Thank" died?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was a Tapatalk glitch, but it's off the site as well.

347b20c70244771f7d213be4855488d9.jpg

94df4a19b2d6b5785d95963b7942535f.jpg

1c008614491a05bf7ed1c39789c1de44.jpg

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Oh No! Has "Thank" died?

Late last week, the site merged Thanks and Likes, and now they are just Likes.
It has been merged with likes

You guys can't comment, but that's a bad move in my opinion.

It's one of the parts that made the site special, a way of communicating and that made thread posts understood.

No doubt an expedient or commercial move by the site, or a réponse to criticism of site volunteers thanking each other.

You obviously can't "Merge" Thanks with "Likes". It sounds like an advertising psycho babble phrase you were encouraged to use.

Please don't close this thread, but let others catch up and put their view.

I may have wanted to Thank you for providing or researching the information, or responding so quickly.
Or I might be just indicating that I like you both (GD97 and Dpham00 as I write) and I do.
We'll never know.

This is very annoying, as it encouraged politeness and consideration, in my view.

-----------

On Edit : Merge was indeed the correct term following Assassin Droid's explanation (although 'added together' would have been clearer).

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yup, they may as well remove everyone's post count as well. It makes it easier now for me to give up my account and lose the history.

Don't know if there was another thread on this in the last week. I'm sure Ambassador's don't like this either.

Anyway ................

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You obviously can't "Merge" Thanks with "Likes". It sounds like an advertising psycho babble phrase you were encouraged to use.

"Merging" literally what they did though... prior counts of "thanks" and "likes" were added together for all members, so merged. If you had 20 likes and 40 thanks, you now have 60 likes. Since facebook and twitter already use "likes" I tried to campaign on behalf of using "frogs" instead, but that was unsuccessful.
emoji_u1f438.png
(This is a true story).

There wasn't a whole lot of explanation on why they were merged, but what I gathered is that it has to do with larger upcoming changes.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
"Merging" literally what they did though... prior counts of "thanks" and "likes" were added together for all members, so merged. If you had 20 likes and 40 thanks, you now have 60 likes. Since facebook and twitter already use "likes" I tried to campaign on behalf of using "frogs" instead, but that was unsuccessful. https://ssl.gstatic.com/chat/emoji/6/emoji_u1f438.png (This is a true story).

There wasn't a whole lot of explanation on why they were merged, but what I gathered is that it has to do with larger upcoming changes.

^^ "Thanks" for the above post. " ^^ :)

Partly explains why Tapatalk removed showing Thanks weeks ago and didn't respond to that query.

Even frogs would have been something!

(somebody check Assassin Droid's medication, shhh! :)

That's a big loss as it stands now. I can't see how they can replace it. A blog, warning, poll or consultation would have been nice. It seems like all of us members and volunteers don't matter. Ah well. It was a good site.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I agree. Merging Likes and Thanks was a bad move. Why fix things that weren't broken in the first place? Before you had a pretty good idea if someone agreed with your post or thanked you for it, now you have to guess. And just like Synycalwon I think a Dislike button would be a welcome addition and is long overdue.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Off thread but I would politely disagree that Dislikes are ultimately beneficial.
I understand the want for them, with some horrible posts.
However, while not directly comparable, the recent Like / Dislike arrows on the blog comments (not supported by apps) are kinda positioned too close together and lead me to believe on several occasions that people meant to Like someone and Disliked them instead.

Perfect example I had several dislikes on one comment, and everyone knows I'm a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e! :)

Seriously I think in practise they don't work, people misuse or abuse them, and it creates more antagonism.

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Aw man, I'm going to miss the thank feature, and I agree with the above posters that this was not the best idea. I liked the difference between "Thank" and "Like." Thank had a very specific use: thank you for providing this information, it's very helpful! Like was just that: I agree with this post.

It's not the end of the world, of course, but I do feel it's a mistake.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

My take on dislikes is this: I honestly think it would create more hassle (read as drama) than its worth. I have seen a lot of forums where a fairly neutral comment is made, gains a large amount of dislikes and the result is commented in thread.

From a Moderator point of view, this would create another thing to look at for keeping the thread in line.

I can also see it bringing down the overall positive feeling that AC has. The Ambassadors and Mods have worked very hard to get Android Central to the atmosphere that we have. I would hate to see the addition of a button bring that down.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
At some point if it can be shared, I think it would be helpful to know why the change was made. As well stated above by quite a few people, "Thanks", and "Like" are two distinctly different meanings; and convey and serve different purposes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neil15oo