Oh Noez! Random Reboots!

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it in the car at first (glanced over and saw media scanner doing it's thing in the notification bar) and just brushed it off as a fluke.

Fast forward to a hour ago, the phone was just chilling on my desk, when the screen lit up then immediately wen't black. I grabbed it and pushed the power button...nothing. Pushed and held. Nothing.I think I caught it in the middle of a random reboot.

Luckily, doing a battery pull solved the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has any reboots going on. TBH it's kinda hard to detect if you're not looking at the device.

Beyond that, the keyboard continues to be awesome and when I'm in a 4G area, I'm impressed by the download speeds. :)

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had no issues what so ever. If it continues call or take it in.

Also, am I the only one who seems to use Swype more than the physical keyboard now? I mean, if I'm typing out a lengthy message or email I use the keyboard, but I use Swype for all my texting needs.

Also, I put a 720p movie I found on the internet (legally) on the phone, it was 15 minutes long. It played the movie FLAWLESSLY. I'll be testing a 1080p clip soon to see if the hardware can do it even with frame loss.

skategeezer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it in the car at first (glanced over and saw media scanner doing it's thing in the notification bar) and just brushed it off as a fluke.

Fast forward to a hour ago, the phone was just chilling on my desk, when the screen lit up then immediately wen't black. I grabbed it and pushed the power button...nothing. Pushed and held. Nothing.I think I caught it in the middle of a random reboot.

Luckily, doing a battery pull solved the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has any reboots going on. TBH it's kinda hard to detect if you're not looking at the device.

Beyond that, the keyboard continues to be awesome and when I'm in a 4G area, I'm impressed by the download speeds. :)

What apps do u have installed? I would uninstall any task killers or juice defenders etc... Also are u running the root with the custom kernel?

Last edited:

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What apps do u have installed? I would uninstall any task killers or juice defenders etc... Also are u running the root with the custom kernel?

No task killers or battery savers..I know how evil the former could be...was never a fan.

Edit: the phone has a built in power saving mode that activates when you reach a user set threshold point. Maybe I should try turning that off....

I am not rooted yet, just haven't found the time.

I've had no issues what so ever. If it continues call or take it in.

Also, am I the only one who seems to use Swype more than the physical keyboard now? I mean, if I'm typing out a lengthy message or email I use the keyboard, but I use Swype for all my texting needs.

Also, I put a 720p movie I found on the internet (legally) on the phone, it was 15 minutes long. It played the movie FLAWLESSLY. I'll be testing a 1080p clip soon to see if the hardware can do it even with frame loss.

Yah I'm giving it today to see if it does it. If so, back into the box she goes sadly.

Swype's cool, but I just haven't gotten used to "trusting" it yet so I feel slower on it because of constantly thinking about where my finger has to slide to next.

I've done the same thing with a episode of top gear. Color me impressed with the performance. That holds true for everyday use as well, feels more powerful than one would expect from a 1 ghz/512 mb of ram phone. Maybe because the og droid lowered my expectations so far! Lol

Last edited:

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Bummed that I have to exchange this, it's happened twice now..its odd that they aren't full reboots (where i'd see the vzw logo and such) either...

Going back to the og droid ain't gonna be fun, that's for sure.

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I had a random lockup when they finally upgraded the towers to 4g here (I was on the edge of 4g before). Then last night the Amazon app store locked my phone up.

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... are these kind of lockups common on Android? Or more specific to certain manufacturers/devices?

I've been living with random shtudowns by my old WinMob phone for years now, and when I finally get a new phone (Android most likely) I've been assuming that these would be a thing of the past.

Bad assumption?

p.s. As long as they don't happen too often, I wouldn't mind *active* lockups so much (e.g. when I'm running some app that kills the OS) because I would realize it at the time and reboot the phone. It's the secret random shutdowns that kill me. Like if the phone is on my dresser overnight, or if it's on my belt... and I have no idea it died and needs a restart.

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The app store lockup is because Amazon updated it and now it's VERY intrusive. I'm assuming during my update-fest the app errored out at some point causing a lockup. The 4g thing was because it 'flickered' from the tower when it finally came on and caused my phone to spazz (radio lockout is what seems to be the term but don't quote me). My dad just exchanged his Revolution for a Charge and got the same issue when the LTE kicked on. We even got a VZW text apologizing for it and pimping more LTE service in the area.

Honestly, random reboots and lockups aren't all that common in Android unless there's a pretty nasty bug. Some phones seem hit or miss which is strange. Maybe one of the manufacturing companies Samsung hired to make these isn't doing a good job of testing the handsets before shipping them and the other plant is doing everything it's suppose to.

MofoMan2000

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Stratosphere since Monday, and I live in an area that was one of Verizon's original LTE markets (Denver/Boulder area). I haven't had a single problem with random reboots or anything, which is fantastic compared to my last phone (Moto Devour) which could barely go six hours without restarting itself. My Stratosphere is touting its uptime at almost a full 24 hours right now, which makes sense. At this time last night, I was in the process of rooting it.

I'm loving this phone and I'm loving actually having an up-to-date Android OS. Not to mention, 4G LTE on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I'm NEVER going back to Motorola!

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I live in one of the original LTE markets too. I lived on the edge where the signal from bulk population to the north would come in only at night though. They finally fixed that last week.

I rooted mine, then unrooted in case I needed to take it in during the the 15 days window. I should really reroot now. Procrastination will be the death of me... later.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my replacement phone yesterday. Everything went well (as far as I could tell) until just a few minutes ago. Hit the power button to wake the screen and saw my live wallpaper freeze (note that my other stratosphere was random rebooting w/out a live wallpaper) I tried to slide the puzzle piece and the screen wen't blank. The capacitave button lights remained on.

Yep a random soft reboot. So aggravating as I love the phone very much. The keyboard is out of this world, ditto the screen and overall performance.

I'm honestly stumped. I'm shocked that no one else seemed to experience this so far....to be fair it happens fairly infrequently but just enough in my use cases to find it annoying.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point...The 1st one managed to reboot with a master reset in due time. I really don't want to have to reset this one and wait without any contacts and messages and apps for a while.

If I return it, I really dunno what I'd pick. I'd have to pick something though. If the D3 was going for cheap I'd consider that....I guess. If the Merge got the dev love that it would have had if VZW didn't botch the launch, I'd pick that up and be done. :(

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't know where your issues are coming from. Maybe there's an app causing you some issue.

I suspected that too, but the first device did it after being master reset. I didn't sign into google to redownload apps for that very reason.

I'll probably end up wiping this device and seeing if the same thing occurs.

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I suspected that too, but the first device did it after being master reset. I didn't sign into google to redownload apps for that very reason.

I'll probably end up wiping this device and seeing if the same thing occurs.

Sorry to hear about all this Rick. I don't know anything about getting phones through Amazon, but I was wondering if there's any difference technically in their Strato, compared to the ones you get direct from VZW.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about all this Rick. I don't know anything about getting phones through Amazon, but I was wondering if there's any difference technically in their Strato, compared to the ones you get direct from VZW.

In theory there shouldn't be any differences. The only different Stratosphere SKU that I know of is the white version.

In reality, maybe Samsung's had a bad batch and Amazon's just happened to get one.

I should say that since I last posted earlier today, the phone hasn't rebooted (as evidenced by the continued filling of the recent apps screen with icons....a reboot clears these icons for obvious reasons...so I can still detect if one's occurred) and I'll be interested to see if my recent app icons remain on screen when I wake up later today.:)

I'll be calling Amazon regardless, just to get confirmation on exchange status.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Strangely, I haven't had a reboot issue all day yesterday and so far today. Maybe my troubles are behind me...if not and they're this infrequent I can easily deal with it.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Update on my reboot saga. It froze in the middle of me writing a post in tapatalk...hate it. Did the whole "wipe and wait" thing per verizon and lo and behold it rebooted again.

Amazon's giving me a one time offer to replace the phone with a different handset...i'd just pay the upgrade price and then they'd credit me when this stratosphere comes back.

Only question is what to buy? Or to give up this opportunity and get another Strat?

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
GalNex comes out the 9th so if you have the cash for that might as well. It seems you're pretty much one of the only ones with the issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky