omg help this is driving me nuts! swipe to home??

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi. i have an htc one and recently upgraded to android 4.3. since then whenever i swipe up my keyboard it takes me to a google home screen. this happens mostly using textra and swiftkey. with swiftkey there is a little button on the bottom right to insert punctuation. unfortunately this key is directly above the home button on this phone. if i don't swipe it exactly right (happens quite often) i suddenly am exiting textra or k-9 email and seeing the google home screen. is there a way to disable this?? the only option i see is two variations under 'display gestures and buttons', but no way to completely disable.

thank you!!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure....I played around with a Nexus for a bit and had the same issue (I was constantly hitting that home button when using the keyboard). I went back my S3 with a physical home button and was glad to have it.

Strange cause i was all excited about the on-screen buttons until I actually used a phone with them.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
dang. may be time to return to blackberry or try iphone. :(

i am new to android, so i apologize for this stupid question: can i go back to the previous OS? typing is hard enough on a touch screen, i don't need my the operating system contributing to my woes.

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Change it in settings. Display gestures & buttons. It's an option to swipe up. You can change it.

Posted via Android Central App

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
hi. i have an htc one and recently upgraded to android 4.3. since then whenever i swipe up my keyboard it takes me to a google home screen. this happens mostly using textra and swiftkey. with swiftkey there is a little button on the bottom right to insert punctuation. unfortunately this key is directly above the home button on this phone. if i don't swipe it exactly right (happens quite often) i suddenly am exiting textra or k-9 email and seeing the google home screen. is there a way to disable this?? the only option i see is two variations under 'display gestures and buttons', but no way to completely disable.

thank you!!

Do you use Google search at all? If not then just disable it via apps, problem gone. If you do use it then your stuck.

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
There's an option to make it so only holding it would bring you to Google now. But right now you have it to swipe up for Google now and holding the home button for menu

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-01-07-36-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-01-07-36-16.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 27

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

thank you!!

I can see where you are coming from. I use Swiftkey too and occasionally miss and have Google Now open. But to be fair to the phone, it's my fault. Clumsy thumbs hitting the wrong button isn't really HTC's fault. As for a solution - type in landscape mode. Chances of it happening there are literally 0%.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
true. but i can't type in landscape any better than portrait. i mean i can, but accuracy is ****. yes thats my fault. and its also the fault of consumers demanding touch screen phones over qwerty keyboards. that app i posted above and downloaded this morning is working like a champ so far!

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
true. but i can't type in landscape any better than portrait. i mean i can, but accuracy is ****. yes thats my fault. and its also the fault of consumers demanding touch screen phones over qwerty keyboards. that app i posted above and downloaded this morning is working like a champ so far!

Awesome. That's the beauty of Android - there's usually an app to fix any gripe. I have a sticky power button and now use a couple of apps that allow me to wake phone with motion sensor and lock screen with a widget. Work brilliantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seth59