Omg...why does android Os drain 35% of the battery?

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The first week or two since I thought the N7 which was about 4 weeks ago the screen took like 90-95% of the battery but now android is seems to be using more battery as the days pass by. Can anyone tell me why? Also I've been getting around 4-7 hours of battery and I only browse use chrome, instagram and twitter 99% of the time. I used Facebook like 5 times and listen to music for like 1 hour total since I got my N7.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Screenshots?
The first week or two since I thought the N7 which was about 4 weeks ago the screen took like 90-95% of the battery but now android is seems to be using more battery as the days pass by. Can anyone tell me why? Also I've been getting around 4-7 hours of battery and I only browse use chrome, instagram and twitter 99% of the time. I used Facebook like 5 times and listen to music for like 1 hour total since I got my N7.

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Screenshots?

Well I just charged it an hour ago so it reset it however the is still drains around 25% so far and battery now at 89% after 1 hour of only being on instagram. I check for updates on instagram for a few minutes then have it on sleep mode. This is only for the past hour. I usually use chrome and twitter too. Very rarely do I do other stuff. Is it OK to close all running apps except for keyboard? Also what's the normal battery % for everything like android os, WiFi, screen, etc?

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
One more question, is it OK to force stop apps like maps and Facebook? I exited out those apps and even went to running apps page and pressed stop but it just comes back on and I think that is why my battery is draining fast. I force stopped them so I hope this fixes the issue. I used maps like once and probably wont ever use it again and I'll still use Facebook but maybe like once a week.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem and it is tied to my work's network.

When my wifi is on (set to always on), the network is constantly sending packets of data preventing my tablet from going into a deep sleep. When I am at home, I don't have this issue at all, so it is something to do with the network configuration at work. It started in Android 4.1, so I am not sure what changed.

So are you connected to a wifi network? If so, try turning off your WiFi and seeing if your tablet enters deep sleep.

You should be able to test this pretty simply by leaving wifi on for an hour and then seeing if Android OS reports keep awake time of 1 hour; it should be a 1:1 ratio of time if you are experiencing the same issue as me.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Calm down, lose the OMGs :) and think about what that percentage means.

First, it does NOT mean that Android System has used 35% of your total battery capacity. What is DOES mean is that of all the apps, processes, radios, and other things (like the screen) that are using your battery, Android System is responsible for 35% of that. So if your battery is down to, say, 50%, Android System has used about 17.5% of your battery.

Second, understand that since this is a percentage of total usage, the percentages all have to add up to 100. So the less you use other programs, radios, and the screen, the greater the percentage of background activity will be. If you have the screen on all the time, the percentage used by the screen will go way up, the percentage used by the system will go way down. If you hardly use the tablet at all, the percentage used by the screen will go way down, and the percentage used by Android System will go up. That doesn't mean A-S is using more battery, it's just using a larger percentage, because other things are using less. Again, the total will always add up to 100%.

So in the first week or two, your N7 was brand new, you were playing with it all the time, which means that giant screen was a giant battery hog. Now, after a month, you're not playing with it nearly as much, so the screen is using less power, and other processes are using a greater percentage of the power used.

If your battery is dying much to quickly, you might have a problem. But the fact that A-S is higher, as a percentage, may just mean nothing else is using a lot of battery. Show us some screen prints of your battery page, the screen on time, and the radio usage. (On the battery display page, tap the Display line to see screen on time, and the graph to see radio usage.)

To your second question, no, it isn't a good idea to manually close apps. Android manages memory very well, let it do it's thing. Android keeps recently used apps in memory so when you want to access them again they're already in memory. If you've killed it, Android needs to copy it from ROM to RAM, then start the program, redraw the screen, etc. All this uses more battery than simply leaving it idle in memory. What DOES eat up battery are apps which constantly sync in the background. Go into Facebook and the other apps you use that do background data syncing, and either turn syncing off or set to a longer interval.

For Maps, make sure you turn off most location aware functions. tap on your Google account, then "Maps & Lattitude." Make sure Report from this device, Enable location sharing, Automatic check-ins and Check-in notifications are all turned off, unless you really have a reason to use them. These services all constantly use the GPS to track your location, and the data (WiFi or cellular) to report your location, and use up a lot of battery.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Still, android system using 1/3 of consumed power of the device means something is happening to draw that power. I typically see smaller percentages going to the system. You probably have some background apps going that are making lots of system calls. I'd look to see what's running and check the options in each app.

On forcing close - I do it all the time. The cost of reloading an app is fairly small, a dead battery? Priceless... Some apps have poor background behavior and chew up battery. Currents is one that can do it with the right (er, wrong) options set. Another one is google nav - it really sucks power, even if I back out of it (get the end navigation dialog). You have to kill it off to prevent it from continuing to drain your power. I wind up rebooting my phone to be sure (nothing like having your phone die in a meeting because of nav).

Yes, android is pretty good at managing apps but it can't stop poorly behaved apps from eating your battery.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The only app out of 100 that I have found to be a HUGE battery killer is Currents. I have stopped using it and my overall battery life has improved by 50%. I have the exact same issue on my Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a real shame Currents is so terrible optimized because I love the interface. What news reader apps do you use to replace it? I have tried Pulse, but I liked having the offline pictures in Currents.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Still, android system using 1/3 of consumed power of the device means something is happening to draw that power. I typically see smaller percentages going to the system. You probably have some background apps going that are making lots of system calls. I'd look to see what's running and check the options in each app.

No, it doesn't. Android is ALWAYS running in the background. It always has to check to see if an application is demanding attention. If the device isn't being used for anythign else, the OS and it's various components will account for most of what little power is being used. But yes, checking the apps to make sure they're not doing a lot of background operations is a good idea.

On forcing close - I do it all the time. The cost of reloading an app is fairly small, a dead battery? Priceless... Some apps have poor background behavior and chew up battery. Currents is one that can do it with the right (er, wrong) options set. Another one is google nav - it really sucks power, even if I back out of it (get the end navigation dialog). You have to kill it off to prevent it from continuing to drain your power. I wind up rebooting my phone to be sure (nothing like having your phone die in a meeting because of nav).

Another misconception. There is ZERO advantage to closing an app that is idle. "Empty" memory is no more efficient that memory occupied by an idle app. Every bit of RAM is constantly refreshed, whether it's in use or not. Force closing an app that is running is one thing, but very few apps actually use any battery when idle.

Yes, android is pretty good at managing apps but it can't stop poorly behaved apps from eating your battery.

If you have a poorly behaved app that's eating your battery, you should get rid of it permanently, not force close it repeatedly.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
No, it doesn't. Android is ALWAYS running in the background. It always has to check to see if an application is demanding attention. If the device isn't being used for anythign else, the OS and it's various components will account for most of what little power is being used. But yes, checking the apps to make sure they're not doing a lot of background operations is a good idea.
Sorry but you are confused about how operating systems work. Android doesn't "run" - apps run, tasks run, processes run, threads run. The android consumption is on behalf of some app that's running. android "idling" would not chew up 35%. that's not normal. Find the app.

Another misconception. There is ZERO advantage to closing an app that is idle. "Empty" memory is no more efficient that memory occupied by an idle app. Every bit of RAM is constantly refreshed, whether it's in use or not. Force closing an app that is running is one thing, but very few apps actually use any battery when idle.
Sigh, so sure of your correctness. OK, you are right about the memory but this isn't about memory, it's about cpu cycles/battery consumption. Not all apps go truly idle. see next comment.

If you have a poorly behaved app that's eating your battery, you should get rid of it permanently, not force close it repeatedly.
Uh, not so fast cowboy. Let me give you an example. Google maps can be put in a "forward tracking mode", don't know the term for it but it shows the view looking forward. I use that a lot on my phone in the car. However, it's sucks a lot of battery because it is continuously updating the display. It appears to have a high rate of battery consumption even if you switch it back to "top down" so killing it off is only way to stop it from sucking cpu cycles, and thus battery. Too many times I've pulled out my phone to find it with only 20% battery left and realized I left maps running. There are plenty of "misbehaved" apps that are useful and, in some cases, required. Google nav is another one that updates continuously though I think it has improved in JB. Also, JB and ICS allow you to pull down the switch list of apps and "flick" them out of the list. Don''t know if that's technically "force closing" them but they never show up until you restart them from the launcher and battery consumption is a lot lower. No muss, no fuss. The only other solution is to reboot the phone to get it to stop. guess which option I choose.

As for currents. I think you just have to disable background sync to get it to behave. I don't use it much though.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, JB and ICS allow you to pull down the switch list of apps and "flick" them out of the list. Don''t know if that's technically "force closing" them but they never show up until you restart them from the launcher and battery consumption is a lot lower.

Speaking of bad information...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
All that removing apps from the recent apps list does is remove them from that list. It does not actually close the apps themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea, there's a lot of mis-information on the recent apps list. It is very much app specific. For some apps, removing them from recent apps list does kill them, the streaming apps that do this are the best example. For others, it does not, this is true for many apps like twitter apps and/or facebook, apps that poll in the background either constantly or in predetermined intervals. For those apps it may kill the UI of the app but doesn't kill those processes which need to run in the background for the app to do it's thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucike8