One plus 3 or moto z play

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Asking both here and in the moto z play forum.

I'm thinking of going for either a oneplus 3 or a moto z play. Both interest me for different reasons.

The one plus 3 has top line specs and build but I would miss expandable storage (I could just about make do with 64gb) and battery life is decent (see moto z play).

The moto z play, has lesser specs but the battery life on it is unbelievably good. It has expandable storage which is really handy for me.
Moto. Moto mods are interesting but not a huge selling point for me.

Both don't have great history with updates, so they're about equal to me there.

So what do you think? Go for the oneplus 3 and have the better specs but take a hit in battery (and storage to a degee) or go for a moto z play for unequalled battery life?

Or any other alternatives in similar price range (in UK based so some phones are harder/more expensive here!)

Thanks again!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd still go for a Oneplus 3 personally. 64 GB is plenty of storage for me, and if I do offload files or do a TWRP backup (main thing i like expandable storage for) i just do it to a USB-C flash drive. The battery is fine for me as well, I've got a backup battery pack but it seldom gets used.

Plus I'm a bit of a spec chaser, and mods strike me as interesting and largely pointless.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the UK and have been having this same dilemma since being priced out of the Pixel range.

My pros and cons list were as follows:

OP3
Pros
Price
Oxygen OS / more modifiable UI
Premium build / design
Decent camera from reviews
Great overall reviews.
820 chip / 6gb ram future proof (dependant on updates)

Cons
Android Updates, N planned but who knows how long.
After sales support direct (potentially not an issue if from O2 but means switching network from 3)
Size upgrade
No SD card slot
Mediocre battery life (I generally use 4 hours SOT a day).

Moto Z Play
Pros
Insane battery life
Premium build
Nougat update penned Q4 2016
Moto actions
2 yr warranty / customer support available
MODS (meh)
SD card (32gb onboard storage - 19gb available)

Cons
Camera reviews average-poor
More expensive (not hugely)
Size - nearly as big as 6P which is too big for me.
Poor use of finger print scanner, location wise on a tall device and fact not a home button.
Updated after N?
Lower end chip 625 (on paper a con, real world reviews works great apart from graphic intensive games which I don't play)

I just decided to go with the OP3 yesterday and probably ordering tomorrow.

Main decisions, can live without SD card. Managed fine previously with 32gb Nexus so 64gb should be fine, the d to factory reset every 3minths to clear phone anyway. Battery life should be fine, especially with dash charge. Generally can be near a plug working in an office. After sales support was a biggie for me, however now looking to buy from O2 on payg, they maintain 2 year warranty and currently offer a sim only deal for £18pm with 10gb data and ultd calls/texts.

Currently using a temporary moto g which was purchased in June (after my N5 finally died) waiting for new nexus, which turned out well.... And will miss some if the features, however having done (easily) 10+ hours reading and watching video reviews on each phone I know OP3 has own tricks to compensate.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the UK and have been having this same dilemma since being priced out of the Pixel range.

My pros and cons list were as follows:

OP3
Pros
Price
Oxygen OS / more modifiable UI
Premium build / design
Decent camera from reviews
Great overall reviews.
820 chip / 6gb ram future proof (dependant on updates)

Cons
After sales support direct (potentially not an issue if from O2 but means switching network from 3)
Size upgrade
No SD card slot
Mediocre battery life (I generally use 4 hours SOT a day).

Moto Z Play
Pros
Insane battery life
Premium build
Nougat update penned Q4 2016
Moto actions
2 yr warranty / customer support available
MODS (meh)
SD card (32gb onboard storage - 19gb available)

Cons
Camera reviews average-poor
More expensive (not hugely)
Size - nearly as big as 6P which is too big for me.
Poor use of finger print scanner, location wise on a tall device and fact not a home button.
Updated after N?
Lower end chip 625 (on paper a con, real world reviews works great apart from graphic intensive games which I don't play)

I just decided to go with the OP3 yesterday and probably ordering tomorrow.

Main decisions, can live without SD card. Managed fine previously with 32gb Nexus so 64gb should be fine, the d to factory reset every 3minths to clear phone anyway. Battery life should be fine, especially with dash charge. Generally can be near a plug working in an office. After sales support was a biggie for me, however now looking to buy from O2 on payg, they maintain 2 year warranty and currently offer a sim only deal for £18pm with 10gb data and ultd calls/texts.

Currently using a temporary moto g which was purchased in June (after my N5 finally died) waiting for new nexus, which turned out well.... And will miss some if the features, however having done (easily) 10+ hours reading and watching video reviews on each phone I know OP3 has own tricks to compensate.

That's a good summary! I know I'd probably be happy with either. I've got 50gb of music, audiobooks and podcasts (I can limit the last two a bit though, only really need one or two audiobooks at a time and I tend to delete podcasts after I listen to them.) so the 64gb is doable but tighter. The moto z play would be more flexible for me. I work in an area with no wifi and very poor signal so streaming isn't an option for me, and I just like to have all my music available.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Snip.

I'm also in the UK.

As far as I'm aware, you can buy a Oneplus 3 from O2 with a pay as you go SIM and use it on whatever network you want... It might be worth looking into.

Also on "mediocre" battery life, i easily get 5 hours screen on time and can usually hit 6 before a charge... Obviously your mileage may vary.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm also in the UK.

As far as I'm aware, you can buy a Oneplus 3 from O2 with a pay as you go SIM and use it on whatever network you want... It might be worth looking into.

Also on "mediocre" battery life, i easily get 5 hours screen on time and can usually hit 6 before a charge... Obviously your mileage may vary.

What network are you using your OP3 on? I'm thinking of picking one up from o2 and using on 3. Just worry I'll end up back on my iPhone, never seem to make the switch long term, think the OP3 would be a good choice?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What network are you using your OP3 on? I'm thinking of picking one up from o2 and using on 3. Just worry I'll end up back on my iPhone, never seem to make the switch long term, think the OP3 would be a good choice?

SIM 1 is giffgaff, SIM 2 is EE. I've no experience using it on three, sorry. Although the quality of service is probably more tied to your area.

Can't really help with the iPhone dilemma... If you don't think you'll actually be able to switch because you're deep into their services or some such it might be worth sticking it out. Personally I despise Apple, I'd go back to the 3310 before buying any of their products or services!

But as phones go yeah, the Oneplus 3 is a great choice. It lacks a few features of other phones, but you won't get better performance or a better experience in most ways, and you'll pay twice the price.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
SIM 1 is giffgaff, SIM 2 is EE. I've no experience using it on three, sorry. Although the quality of service is probably more tied to your area.

Can't really help with the iPhone dilemma... If you don't think you'll actually be able to switch because you're deep into their services or some such it might be worth sticking it out. Personally I despise Apple, I'd go back to the 3310 before buying any of their products or services!

But as phones go yeah, the Oneplus 3 is a great choice. It lacks a few features of other phones, but you won't get better performance or a better experience in most ways, and you'll pay twice the price.

I'd love to dig out a 3310 for a few days just for snake and nearly a week usage from a single charge!!

Although a long time ios user, most of my services are Google. How you finding battery life?

I've always liked oneplus but have been put off by their possible aftercare shortcomings due to being China based. Now that I can purchase from o2 store, I feel that's slightly alleviated by the fact they'll have to deal with faults (I hope)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to dig out a 3310 for a few days just for snake and nearly a week usage from a single charge!!

Although a long time ios user, most of my services are Google. How you finding battery life?

I've always liked oneplus but have been put off by their possible aftercare shortcomings due to being China based. Now that I can purchase from o2 store, I feel that's slightly alleviated by the fact they'll have to deal with faults (I hope)

Battery life is good, by my standard... I generally get 5.5 hours screen on time before hitting the 15% battery saver.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm also in the UK.

Have seen a few comments on other sites re using other Sims. However just feel that if not using O2 sim,1 may negate the warranty/guarantee?

Novaprime

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I cannot comment on the Moto. It looks good and if I were you I would listen to what owners say. As for OP3, BEST phone I have ever had. By a country mile. I have had it since launch and it is still tearing up the asphalt. It's just so damn fast and snappy. Dash charge is one if the best things I have ever experienced with a phone. Putting your phone on charge for 15 minutes and regaining the majority of your battery life is AMAZING. I had a s7 edge briefly and it needed replacing and while it was in the op3 was released. Personally I am very happy I swapped. I have no issue with the s7 edge(just so you know) , just trying to put into context how good this phone is if you want responsiveness and a lightning quick charge.

Also, updates are thick and fast. Maybe not to the next android, but their own changes and updates have real world feel. Anyway, have a look at this from phone buff. It's a nice little roundup. https://youtu.be/Xyf3bDljg04

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm also in the UK.

Thanks! I don't think it has a mediocre battery, but the moto z play has a phenomenal one. Most people get 10 hrs screen on time with having to turn everything off! But I think I do prefer the customisation of the op3 software!

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Have seen a few comments on other sites re using other Sims. However just feel that if not using O2 sim,1 may negate the warranty/guarantee?

I doubt very much that they can wiggle out of warranty on the grounds of using a different SIM card in an unlocked phone, especially a dual SIM phone.

Besides, you have to buy a payg SIM with it, I'll just pop that back in if it need to be returned

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Oneplus 3.
It has a better price, much better performance, better design.

The moto z play has the benefit of better battery, and expandable storage (although it has less base storage). And it has moto mods which aren't really worth it.

For me the performance would be a dealbreaker. With the oneplus 3 you know you can keep it for 3/4 years if you had to, and that the performance would be good enough for whatever you need it for.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm fairly sure switching SIMs doesn't affect the warranty, but if you're worried just keep the O2 SIM in there along with your own. It's a dual-SIM phone, after all.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Cons

Both don't have great history with updates, so they're about equal to me there.

Previous OnePlus phones have been really poor but so far, they've pretty much been first to the market after the Nexus phones on Android Security updates - it's a focus they're being very loud about which is great. I'm currently running the Community build of the OS (for those unfamilliar, think Open Beta :) ) and I had the 1st October security patch on the 29th of September - how's that for up to date!

They've shared their target schedule for updates too - Roughly 4 updates per month for Closed Beta/Alpha testers, roughly 2 updates per month for Community Build/Open Beta testers, and then 1 update every 1 or 2 months for regular OTA updates. Plus - you can flash the community build and all the updates are OTA so you only do it once, and it keeps the warranty intact!

I can't speak for the Moto on this point, but I thought it was worth sharing for when you're weighing up the OP3 as this has been a huge Pro for me :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter