One UI 6 & Android 14?

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Still no UI 6 update available on my Tab S9+ Wi-Fi as of 10:00 am CST (KC area). Just for clarity, my current software/OS version is: X810XXU1AWHA, Security Patch: August 1, 2023. UI version is 5.1.1

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
The taskbar was showing. Don't know what it was set to by default as I immediately switched it back to the classic mode.
Ok. I'm finally updated to Android 14. I see what you mean by the new DeX. It keeps your tablet home screen and just puts a task bar at the bottom. Samsung moved the "Start" button towards the middle ala Windows 11.

I think it is ok and could get used to it. However, Samsung requires that you have OneUI as the default launcher. Since I use Microsoft Launcher (and have no intention of switching), I have to use DeX Classic. Which is fine.

As far the update overall, I had a chance to play with Android 14 on my S22 Ultra for the past week. So no surprises for me. It is nice and smooth. I haven't noticed any stutters.

Also, another bonus, my Tab S7 keyboard cover still works perfectly. In fact, I am typing this using DeX Classic with my Tab S7 keyboard cover.

Overall it is a good update. Nothing really earth shattering.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I was not expecting to get Android 14 this soon on my Tab S9. I was expecting to get it in January.
This was a surprising move indeed but I don't expect that momentum unfortunately. I think it's a ploy for the holiday season and boosting sales.

Could be misplaced skepticism but historically they haven't kept up like they do with phones.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
This was a surprising move indeed but I don't expect that momentum unfortunately. I think it's a ploy for the holiday season and boosting sales.

Could be misplaced skepticism but historically they haven't kept up like they do with phones.
The majority of Samsung devices in the wild are phones. So, Samsung will naturally focus on those. Also, because there are a lot more phones than tablets, the attack surface is larger from phones, therefore, updating monthly makes more sense from a security perspective. Which also translates into a cost savings.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The majority of Samsung devices in the wild are phones. So, Samsung will naturally focus on those. Also, because there are a lot more phones than tablets, the attack surface is larger from phones, therefore, updating monthly makes more sense from a security perspective. Which also translates into a cost savings.
I'm not necessarily referring to security patches but major updates.

Regardless of the user base, someone that bought a $200 budget phone shouldn't be getting the next version of Android before the tablet crowd that spent 800-1000.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I'm not necessarily referring to security patches but major updates.

Regardless of the user base, someone that bought a $200 budget phone shouldn't be getting the next version of Android before the tablet crowd that spent 800-1000.
Samsung pushes major updates to its tablets just like its phones, once a year; with a total of three major updates. Security update support is five years; phones updated monthly, and tablets updated quarterly. Cost of device is irrelevant.

Btw, the Tab S9 series update to Android 14 actually fits into that schedule. They got both the quarterly security update AND a major update simultaneously.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dubbs

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this thread, not a regular tablet user so been not checking. Got the update today on my S9 Tab Ultra WiFi in the US

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29