Question OnePlus has trouble viewing certain files

fresh104x

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
I have a OnePlus 8t on android 13 I use as a backup phone and sometimes I use a memory card reader via usb-c and the phone can't view files that has emoji's in their name. I know its simple to remove the emojis so the phone can read the files but it's too many files to rename. Is there a way the phone could read the files with emoji's in its name that's in the memory card reader?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think emojis are acceptable as characters in the basic filename of a file -- it's probably a bunch of ASCII characters that are being interpreted by a file manager as an emoji. Where have you seen these emojis show up properly in a filename? On another phone, or on a computer?

fresh104x

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think emojis are acceptable as characters in the basic filename of a file -- it's probably a bunch of ASCII characters that are being interpreted by a file manager as an emoji. Where have you seen these emojis show up properly in a filename? On another phone, or on a computer?
Yes on another phone, sometimes I use a Samsung phone where I use the Google file app and some of the files names have emojis in them and I can view them easily

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Files by Google was the app I was using. I got the names mixed up. I’m wondering if I have to update it
Ok, then was it the Samsung My Files app on your Samsung phone that worked? I don't believe that can be installed on non-Samsung phones. You may just have to experiment with various file manager apps in the Play Store, but be cautious -- this category of apps tends to have more shady entries (typically filled with adware).

fresh104x

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Ok, then was it the Samsung My Files app on your Samsung phone that worked? I don't believe that can be installed on non-Samsung phones. You may just have to experiment with various file manager apps in the Play Store, but be cautious -- this category of apps tends to have more shady entries (typically filled with adware).
I don’t think I had the correct wording for it but I’m not able to even move files with emojis in it’s name to the memory card reader while it’s connected to the Oneplus