Opting out of Beta 15 - want to be clear....

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got this message this morning about opting out of Beta 15. I want to get back on NORMAL (non-beta) Android. So to be clear eventually, Google will offer me a standard update and I will not lose data, etc.

Is there some timeframe I should be considering or just wait it out for x days, weeks, months???

THANKS

beta image.png

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It's a opt out before install is how that works. Just like Everytime a beta changes for a major update. Otherwise if you take it the upgrade and then opt out you will have to wipe.

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a opt out before install is how that works. Just like Everytime a beta changes for a major update. Otherwise if you take it the upgrade and then opt out you will have to wipe.
Thanks for the reply.

I did NOT download. I opted out. Now I just wait till they offer some update?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If you opted out before you downloaded it should give you the public image instead of the beta.

Maybe wait till someone else comments as I never care if it wipes. It's not that big is a deal for me to set back up.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you opted out before you downloaded it should give you the public image instead of the beta.

Maybe wait till someone else comments as I never care if it wipes. It's not that big is a deal for me to set back up.
Maybe I should not be to hesitant to avoid the wipe but I prefer not dealing with the potential unknowns and possible turmoil. :eek:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got this message this morning about opting out of Beta 15. I want to get back on NORMAL (non-beta) Android. So to be clear eventually, Google will offer me a standard update and I will not lose data, etc.

Is there some timeframe I should be considering or just wait it out for x days, weeks, months???

THANKS

View attachment 361872
Anything new on beta 15?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The whole process is as clear as MUD! Is the current release not a STABLE version?

Got the attached notice today. How does this square with the notice the other day saying I could opt out and NOT lose data?????????????????????

beta 22.png

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Then how come I'm warned about a wipe. In the first image they said I could opt out and not have it wiped.
It is what it is.

You are on the stable channel and the Android 14 update you got is probably a security update.

I suggest in future that if you are thar unsure of, and dont fully understand the implications and evolment of signing up for beta product to Avoid doing so.

Alpha and Beta are exactly that. Previews, unfinished products. There may or may not be major bugs. Either way you will need to be prepared to potentially need to wipe your device or do constant maintenance and know how to do it. It's all part of the game.

Reactions: rvbfan

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is what it is.

You are on the stable channel and the Android 14 update you got is probably a security update.

I suggest in future that if you are thar unsure of, and dont fully understand the implications and evolment of signing up for beta product to Avoid doing so.

Alpha and Beta are exactly that. Previews, unfinished products. There may or may not be major bugs. Either way you will need to be prepared to potentially need to wipe your device or do constant maintenance and know how to do it. It's all part of the game.
Actually, I did not really want to partake of beta testing.

As I have explained before, I was in Greece and was offered the Android 14 regular update. Rather then download it while over there and also take a risk of something going wrong leaving me phone-less, I refused the upgrade. I figured I would get when I returned home under less exotic circumstances. Well, upon returning home, the upgrade was never offered. No amount of checking offered it. I contacted Google about it. They said to keep checking but there was nothing they could do to get it to me - other than wiping the device and checking after that. A few more weeks and still no upgrade and now two months behind in security updates. I did some web inquiries. Two suggested going the beta route to get an update. Hence entry into Beta.

Yes, I've been a beta tester in a few former lives and I know what they entail. I was told I could opt out painlessly eventually. Well, I'm still waiting for eventually.

The first screenshot in this thread suggested I could opt out and NOT wipe. The most recent one suggests otherwise. I'm just trying to sort out what's what.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
When the final beta for, let's say a QPR is released. A release candidate is published. That's when you can leave the beta without wiping.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
When the final beta for, let's say a QPR is released. A release candidate is published. That's when you can leave the beta without wiping.
My exleriencr, however dating back to Pixel 2 XL, was that the beta transition to stable was janky. Not sure if that's changed but I would do a wipe for stable regardless. Not a fan of dirty flashing in general.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
My exleriencr, however dating back to Pixel 2 XL, was that the beta transition to stable was janky. Not sure if that's changed but I would do a wipe for stable regardless. Not a fan of dirty flashing in general.
Oh for sure. Beta is by nature just that, leftover code can be an issue. Just saying if you absolutely don't want to factory reset, there is a small window where it's possible.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh for sure. Beta is by nature just that, leftover code can be an issue. Just saying if you absolutely don't want to factory reset, there is a small window where it's possible.
I think my WINDOW is dirty!!!! But I will hope that it occurs and Google is polite enough to say - THIS IS THE OFFICIAL NON-WIPE release!!!!

It is pretty clear in that first posting that there is some opportunity to avoid a wipe. Yet, the newer post offers an update with WIPE!