Options other than the GN?

CyanLite

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
With this release debacle from Verizon, my family and I have decided to look at other alternatives. I have three plans all up for renewals: my wife and I and our daughter. Previously my daughter and I were going to get the GN, but her b'day is on Tuesday and I was hoping to get her a new GN. Looks like that won't be the case. All three of us currently have 2+ year old Droid Eris that's on its last legs.

So what are some alternatives? My wife played with the iPhone 4s today and she says it just "works". Smooth animations, fast processing, $100 cheaper, and its in stock. Probably will end up getting that for her today or tomorrow. Not sure about my daughter, she'll be turning 17, so I was looking at the HTC Rezound, but it doesnt have ICS, and probably won't for another few months. But the Rezound has higher camera MP (she uses her camera all the time) and faster CPU, so hopefully it would be able to keep up with updates, but what about the bloatware? Camera shutter lag?

As for me, I wanted a GN for the fast bloat-free updates from Google. But would I be better off getting a Rezound or RAZR and just rooting it, and getting the latest CyanogenMod9 updates on my own? Or is it worth keeping my Eris (with a broken screen, volume buttons doesn't work, screen dead spots) for a few more week(s) for a GN? My biggest concern since we have to do a 2 year contract is to find something that will last a good two years with no problems.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
You can't go wrong with either the Rezound or the GN. I played with them both and I am waiting to get the GN this week.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound has a lot more bloat then when I have seen in the other lte phones. I currently own one and am planning on returning it for the Nexus. I would try to wait it out.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It all depends what you use the phone for. It sounds like you all have different needs. The higher CPU speed on the Rezound probably won't translate to better real world performance over the other 2. I would get the iPhones for your wife and daughter and hold on for the GN for yourself. I have a feeling you will regret buying anything else if you plan on rooting.

wbonnefond

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Why would you post this in the GNex forums? Everyone is obviously gonna say get the GNex. That being said I would choose the Bionic. Best phone out IMO.

jk, galaxy nexus all the way

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I held the rezound and it is awesome.

I am only waiting to see how the samsung feels.

Wife/ daughter get the iphones or get the wife an iphone and your daughter the rezound.

My kids have ipod touches, I have an ipad2 and wife has iphone 4. They want me to go the iphone route....I don't want to but.....if I had to choose right now, I would wait.
If you can't wait the rezound is awesome.

Reactions: Premium1

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Reality [google it for a picture, doubt you heard of it before].. no top screen anymore, shuts off randomly, and the screen below the top screen that is no longer there is cracked to hell, so much for a working touch screen :p , Dealt with this trash for a long time..

Basically.. if I can wait a little longer I'm sure you can too.

As your wife and child go.. they won't be disappointed, but at least ask and give your daughter the option to wait or if she wants a phone asap.

i understand what your wife is saying.. the iPhone gets pretty generic and boring after a while.. the fact that you feel like a fenced in lion only being able to do whatever you want as long as it's in the limitations of what Apple allows is irritating.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound has a lot more bloat then when I have seen in the other lte phones. I currently own one and am planning on returning it for the Nexus. I would try to wait it out.

What this guy failed to mention is that the rezound has temp root now and you can freeze the bloatware, even sense. There is a desense tool that freezes sense as a whole and gives you a stock gb launcher.

Also, we are very close to s-off, and I know for a fact that we will have it soon, before we are even upgraded to ics. Don't let the naysayers sway you, the rezound is a fantastic phone and it's only getting better.

UserSage

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here! Maybe this thread is the best place to post this...

I've never had a smart phone before. Right now I don't even have a cell phone, period. But I recently got a decent job so I've been in the market for a device, and was initially torn between the iphone 4S and the GN.

I decided on the GN because, in general, I'm a Google guy. I use gmail and docs every day, I use Picasa often and I listen to (but not yet purchase) music off of google music. I'm even the happy owner of a Chromebook (from which I currently type.) Obviously, on a corporate level I prefer Google to Apple, and frankly I just want to be different from all my friends who think "iphone" is synonymous with "smart phone."

In my limited experience with them, I suck at touch screens. I'm someone who can type ~100 wpm on a standard keyboard, so I become incredibly frustrated trying to use the tiny things on phones. More than any advantages in watching videos, the large GN screen appeals to me because it means a larger keyboard. Finally, I live in San Diego, where Verizon really blows all the other carriers out of the water in terms of coverage, and the LTE speeds I could get on a GN really seem superior to anything I could get on an iphone. (Though, that being said, any streaming of video I do will likely be on wireless.)

And while Siri is neat, google search and google maps are the brands I trust.

On the other hand, other than phone/email/im, the biggest things I want to do with my phone are 1) video chat, 2) streaming music (via Spotify, google music, icloud, whatever), 3) taking pictures. I also want that proverbial "just works" device. On any system, smooth scrolling is very important to me.

So despite all the ways the GN appeals to me, the things I most want to do seem to play to the iphone's strengths. The iphone has better cameras, and obviously its known as a music player. And all the things I love using Google for I can still do on an iphone. And I can get a $200 iphone today and be phoneless no longer.

So even though the wait won't be much longer, each delay pushes me further in Apple's direction.

jimbosi

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
With this release debacle from Verizon, my family and I have decided to look at other alternatives. I have three plans all up for renewals: my wife and I and our daughter. Previously my daughter and I were going to get the GN, but her b'day is on Tuesday and I was hoping to get her a new GN. Looks like that won't be the case. All three of us currently have 2+ year old Droid Eris that's on its last legs.

So what are some alternatives? My wife played with the iPhone 4s today and she says it just "works". Smooth animations, fast processing, $100 cheaper, and its in stock. Probably will end up getting that for her today or tomorrow. Not sure about my daughter, she'll be turning 17, so I was looking at the HTC Rezound, but it doesnt have ICS, and probably won't for another few months. But the Rezound has higher camera MP (she uses her camera all the time) and faster CPU, so hopefully it would be able to keep up with updates, but what about the bloatware? Camera shutter lag?

As for me, I wanted a GN for the fast bloat-free updates from Google. But would I be better off getting a Rezound or RAZR and just rooting it, and getting the latest CyanogenMod9 updates on my own? Or is it worth keeping my Eris (with a broken screen, volume buttons doesn't work, screen dead spots) for a few more week(s) for a GN? My biggest concern since we have to do a 2 year contract is to find something that will last a good two years with no problems.

One comment you mentioned was rooting the Rezound. Reports from other suggest that until S-OFF is available for Rezound, the dev community will be nearly non-existent. You'll hear it from others, so I'll reiterate: stores already have the G-Nex in stock. Verizon will be under immense pressure to authorize release. I think it'll be this week (although I said the same thing last week about last week). Patience (as I keep telling myself), grasshopper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko