Oreo for T-Mobile V20 is here

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded 8.0 w/August security patch to my T-Mobile V20. I'm going through apps now and a couple of apps seem to crash. I'll reboot, uninstall/reinstall apps and play around with it.

So far, no major issues. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes. But the phone itself seems to be a bit snappier which is nice.

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update, please keep us posted, I know I'll be looking at other peoples' experiences before I update. Hopefully, Tmo taking its time translates to a well implemented update and process.

gipper69

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
Mine took a bit over 1.5 hours and 25% battery to download and install. Annoying part is how the home screen got rearranged and widgets that disappeared. Otherwise things seem to be working OK.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine took a bit over 1.5 hours and 25% battery to download and install. Annoying part is how the home screen got rearranged and widgets that disappeared. Otherwise things seem to be working OK.

I don't know why some people had long download and install times? 35 minutes total for mine to download and install.

My phone is snappy as I mentioned earlier, although my battery seems to be draining a bit faster. I have to give it a couple of cycles to really talk about battery use.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update, please keep us posted, I know I'll be looking at other peoples' experiences before I update. Hopefully, Tmo taking its time translates to a well implemented update and process.

No problem, I'll definitely keep everyone updated. I'm still getting the hang of the notifications as there are PLENTY to go through. Lol

So far, so good thou. The phone has a little zip to it and apps load a little quicker than before.

I'm diggin' the subtle changes of the shapes of the icons in the app drawer. It gives you 3 options for adaptive app shapes, that's cool.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded 8.0 w/August security patch to my T-Mobile V20. I'm going through apps now and a couple of apps seem to crash. I'll reboot, uninstall/reinstall apps and play around with it.

So far, no major issues. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes. But the phone itself seems to be a bit snappier which is nice.

Nice, see, it was coming. Just gotta be patient while they work on it. LG is not that big really and they have to work on other things too. Good to know almost everyone has Oreo now (still waiting for the update on the US Unlocked US996 version). Let us know any pros (or cons) with the update.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So, after a few days, any other insights on this update the the Tmo V20? I guess what I'm interested in is:

1. Any significant issues with the update?
2. How is battery life after the update?
3. Anybody use a smartwatch? How is it behaving after the update?
4. How about connecting to the infotainment / Bluetooth system in your car, any issues there?

Anything else you may have noticed is welcome. Thanks for the help!

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
So, after a few days, any other insights on this update the the Tmo V20? I guess what I'm interested in is:

1. Any significant issues with the update?
2. How is battery life after the update?
3. Anybody use a smartwatch? How is it behaving after the update?
4. How about connecting to the infotainment / Bluetooth system in your car, any issues there?

I have to say, I haven't had any major issues with the update...

WiFi or VOLTE connectivity hasn't been an issue. Bluetooth connection to my headphones, speakers, etc haven't been a problem. Although it took me a few times to get it going in my car ('17 Honda Pilot) I haven't had any issues since the initial connection.

Battery drain was brutal the first couple of days but has since leveled off. I would say battery life is maybe a touch better ( for me) than before the update.

I had to uninstall a couple of apps that didn't play nice with Oreo. But one was a customization apps. (Awesome Icons) and a clock widget app which I forgotten the name. The issues were with the LG Home & App drawer home screen...

Some nice UI upgrades, specifically with the stock dialer & stock music apps, and the settings.

So far so good though. Hopefully there won't be any issues going forward.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I updated today, made a video showing it off:

https://youtu.be/MguOEqNCwO8

At this point my Note9 is my daily driver, and I just use the V20 for the video camera and as a backup phone. My install was pretty quick, less than 20 minutes. All of my apps were there and my data, but it reset all of my home screens and widgets.

gipper69

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
One item that may be of concern to some folks on tmobile is the strange behavior of the digits app. They have done a recent push, which seems to have resolved issues that the update has caused. If you update, and digits stops, make sure you update the app.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

1. Any significant issues with the update? None so far after 1 week for me.
2. How is battery life after the update? About the same. (I keep everything on so I get home w/about 30% left. Same as I had on Nougat)
3. Anybody use a smartwatch? How is it behaving after the update? N/A
4. How about connecting to the infotainment / Bluetooth system in your car, any issues there? Worked fine so far in my Mazda CX-5. Play Spotify on my way home and around town.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Welp.... my phone kept nagging me to update, I read around, decided it sounded ok, and took the plunge on Monday night. i THOUGHT it had gone fine - ha! Silly me. I have yet to do an android full OS update that didn't cause immense problems. Even after a full factory reset to do it a second time, the problems emerged yesterday and suggest it has pretty much borked my phone:

- limited connectivity (4g is barely there, and it sometimes can't find an ordinary phone signal)
- "IMS has stopped working" messages
- WiFi calling very unstable and constantly disappearing/error messages

Bluetooth has been fine, oddly - if anything, a bit more stable (and I like the notification message when it's connected so you can get right to it).

However, in the meantime, it's bad enough that Tmo have suggested replacing the handset. I'd give anything to go back to 7.0 and see if it's OS or hardware, but I can't even seem to find a Nougat version for it now.

Suggestions? Anybody have these issues and know if there are software fixes? I so don't have time for this right now as I'm on the road a lot. wah! :'(

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
There is no way to roll back -- T-Mobile sets the ARB flag on update, so once you take one you can't go back to an earlier release -- the bootloader will not load it.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Sigh.

Weirdest. Thing. Ever.

Need to be able to use phone tonight, and was worried since I still can't get a signal. Decided to try network settings to see if I could at least get a voice connection - switched it to 3g/2g.... and 4g and 5 bars suddenly popped up.

Any ideas what's going on? It's obviously a workaround rather than solution, but....

gipper69

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
One change that is nice is a quick choice for where to route Bluetooth media when paired with a car. This allows you to use the phone speaker for navigation instructions while listening to one of the others media sources. Addresses on the my longstanding frustrations with the in car support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86