Oreo GPS problem

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Since Oreo arrived, when i have no gps signal (inside a building, for instance), after an hour or two i am moved to 0 North 0 West. Its out in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa. I can change location services to be 'battery saving' and be put back where i am, but then I have to change it back when i go outside to get gps services.

Its not falling back to cell/wifi when there is no gps signal. This used to occur years ago in version 4 or so. Anyone else seeing this or have a solution?

S8 on AT&T.

Thanks

Jim

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
GPS can't "fall back" to cell/wifi, it's a signal coming from a system of satellites.

Location can fall back to cell/wifi, but not in high accuracy mode, which requires GPS. Just turn location off when you're inside if it bothers you. (You don't need it, you know where you are - and cell/wifi won't locate you within the building.)

(But unless you have some app trying to find your location, like looking at a map, the GPS receiver draws so little standby power that it won't make much difference if it's on or off.)

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Its not a battery drain issue. Its that everything based on my location, like weather, sunrise/set times on my watch, suddenly moves to the Atlantic Ocean. Never had an issue with Nougat. O.K. its a location issue, not a GPS issue. Its an issue, new to Oreo. My wife and i share locations, suddenly she is 6500 miles away from me. Having to switch the location accuracy setting is a pita heretofore not required.

BuckyBeaver

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem here too. I turn location off then back on and it's fixed. PITA if you ask me. It does it at least once a day. Hopefully they issue a fix soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vic250wolf