otterbox defender, screen protecter poor quality

cg1492

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Got my otterbox defender case in atomic and so far I am thinking about sending it back. The case itself it otterbox quality, good fit to the phone. Yes it adds bulk but I don't care about that. The issue I am having is the screen protector, if you get light to reflect off of it with the screen off it looks like some type of coating was sprayed on it. This is not playing well with the S3 screen, especially on white backgrounds. With the screen on and you tilt / pan the phone you get a red, green, blue sparkling effect from the protector. The one I had for my evo 4g was crystal clear, however this one is not. I have email otterbox about my dissapoitment and currently awaiting a response.

Anyone else order one? Is the screen protector perfectly clear or does it look like something was sprayed on it. I will try to take some pictures but don't know if what I am seeing will be noticeable when a pic is taken.

amdmax

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 Defender cases: they are different

I have a Boom (purple) Defender on an GS3 and it too has the red, blue & green swirls. These are present and noticeable with the screen on or off. Curiously though I have an older (relatively obviously b/c case was just released) black Defender for another GS3 that has a clear screen protector (no swirls at all.) But the black case's screen protector doesn't sit flat on the touchscreen, i.e. there is a "trampoline" effect when I use the touchscreen b/c of 1 or 2 mm of space b/w protector and screen surface. Pressing the screen causes a rather noticeable "tap, tap" sound. Rather annoying. I had actually written Otterbox about this and they want me to send it back. I hadn't noticed the swirls on the purple Defender since it's on my wife's phone, but they're definitely there. I bought the black one from a Sprint store (2 weeks ago), returned it and got another from another Sprint store: both with the same "trampoline" problem. The purple one I bought from Amazon just last week. Pick your poison I guess. Overall the case is great except for the above issues.

Damitux

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I took mine off the defender. It's really easy to do and you can always save it
and put it back on. Lightly press from the outside inward on the front cover.
It is held in by sticky (tape) it think.

Now, If you phone has a screen protector like mine (Zagg) your all set. Defender
protection without the soapbubble screen.

Just add your favorite screen protector or, just go naked..

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the oil effect as well on my black otterbox defender. And yeah, it's real annoying. So I installed a Skinomi protector and removed the protector on the OB. Removing the glue was a bit of a pain but WD-40 does wonders!!

TheRyland

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Because Ive had 2 Otterbox defenders and they both stretched out, I got the Trident Kraken case. No built in screen protector but its good other than that.

cg1492

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am highly disappointed in otterbox. Now I have 2 things to complain about, this was the response to the complaint email about the S3 defender in atomic.

They are sending me a pink iphone 4 case....WTF otterbox? Not only that but they sent it with the lowest class ferdex offers. I am really really disappointed. May have to go ballistics or a screen protector and gel case.

I tried to post a copy of the invoice but it was coming out to small to read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk