OtterBox Defender vs Symmetry N10+

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So i have been using the Otterbox Defender for over a week now and my Otterbox Symmetry just arrived.

I have to say the Defender really does an excellent job in keeping dust and dirt out of the case. Only parts i found dirt/dust was the S-Pen cutout, charging hole(i cut the flap) and camera cutout. And when I removed the hardshell, i was shocked to see my N10+ back/bezels to be as clean as it was. But the downside is that the Defender is kinda wide and tall, thus making a lot of car mounts not work.The only car mount i which i have and works well is the Adonit Wireless Car Charger. Even Ringke Monster Mount doesnt work.

Okay next is the Symmetry, the case has a slimmer profile. And not so dirt/dust proof as it is only 1 layer. And the wierd part is the Volume/Power button. The buttons part seems like it isnt 1 piece with the case.

So to make it easy for future buyers. If you want full protection, anti dirt/dust, have severe OCD, need a holster and dont mind the bulk. Get the Defender.

If you need protection and the surface to stick a pop socket or sticker. get the Symmetry.

And there is a cheaper option, which is the Supcase UB Pro($31). Compared to the Defender($53) or Symmetry ($46).

Hope this helps.

*UPDATE *
After a day with the Symmetry, i went back to the Defender... Because the Symmetry is very slippery.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The other thing with the defender (which most people don't figure out for months) is that the belt clip can be opened from the bottom, all the way, and it clicks into position, making a nice stand (in landscape mode). Just what you need for watching a video.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The other thing with the defender (which most people don't figure out for months) is that the belt clip can be opened from the bottom, all the way, and it clicks into position, making a nice stand (in landscape mode). Just what you need for watching a video.

Yes hahaha.

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
If you're looking for a rugged clear case check out the LifeProof Next case specifically the Black Crystal for the Note10+. I'd say it's the best of both worlds, thick rugged with black rubber sides and clear backed.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you're looking for a rugged clear case check out the LifeProof Next case specifically the Black Crystal for the Note10+. I'd say it's the best of both worlds, thick rugged with black rubber sides and clear backed.

i have tried Lifeproof Next on my previous S10+ .a very good case but i hate the clear back...and the finger smudges...

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
So i have been using the Otterbox Defender for over a week now and my Otterbox Symmetry just arrived.

I have to say the Defender really does an excellent job in keeping dust and dirt out of the case. Only parts i found dirt/dust was the S-Pen cutout, charging hole(i cut the flap) and camera cutout. And when I removed the hardshell, i was shocked to see my N10+ back/bezels to be as clean as it was. But the downside is that the Defender is kinda wide and tall, thus making a lot of car mounts not work.The only car mount i which i have and works well is the Adonit Wireless Car Charger. Even Ringke Monster Mount doesnt work.

Okay next is the Symmetry, the case has a slimmer profile. And not so dirt/dust proof as it is only 1 layer. And the wierd part is the Volume/Power button. The buttons part seems like it isnt 1 piece with the case.

So to make it easy for future buyers. If you want full protection, anti dirt/dust, have severe OCD, need a holster and dont mind the bulk. Get the Defender.

If you need protection and the surface to stick a pop socket or sticker. get the Symmetry.

And there is a cheaper option, which is the Supcase UB Pro($31). Compared to the Defender($53) or Symmetry ($46).

Hope this helps.

*UPDATE *
After a day with the Symmetry, i went back to the Defender... Because the Symmetry is very slippery.
Yes I remember the slipperiness of the Symmetry on oast cases. The Tech 21 is a nice slimmer case, decent protection, decent grip. Currently I have just the Defender but looking into a slimmer one for changing to from time to time

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes I remember the slipperiness of the Symmetry on oast cases. The Tech 21 is a nice slimmer case, decent protection, decent grip. Currently I have just the Defender but looking into a slimmer one for changing to from time to time

I recently went back to Defender. Because my other cases are slippery. And isnt very good vs dust...

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I recently went back to Defender. Because my other cases are slippery. And isnt very good vs dust...

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the Symmetry clear case on my 10 plus and it's my daily driver. The case is smooth, but I don't find it to be slippery at all. I was initially concerned about the lack of grippy ridges on the sides, but this phone case in my opinion doesn't need them. It feels nice and secure in my hand and I work with my hands in gloves all day and they sweat a lot, but I don't feel like my phone is gonna slide out of my hands in the least. I have the Defender also and Love it. But for now, I want to see my Aura Glow's awesomeness and will rock the Symmetry clear until the honeymoon is over.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the Symmetry clear case on my 10 plus and it's my daily driver. The case is smooth, but I don't find it to be slippery at all. I was initially concerned about the lack of grippy ridges on the sides, but this phone case in my opinion doesn't need them. It feels nice and secure in my hand and I work with my hands in gloves all day and they sweat a lot, but I don't feel like my phone is gonna slide out of my hands in the least. I have the Defender also and Love it. But for now, I want to see my Aura Glow's awesomeness and will rock the Symmetry clear until the honeymoon is over.

I often put my phone on the table and yes it slides around... But yes it feels better in hand compared to the Defender. The Defender squeaks at times because of the hardcase.

Jlharper016

May 25, 2019
Visit site
i have tried Lifeproof Next on my previous S10+ .a very good case but i hate the clear back...and the finger smudges...

I have the symmetry and the next from lifeproof and I always go back to the symmetry, for these very reasons. It's a finger print and a scratch magnet... spent 80 on a case that looks like junk

Jlharper016

May 25, 2019
Visit site

The only issue I have with the clear one is that it tends to discoloration around the edges in an awful brown color... I know its covered by warranty but who wants to order the same case every 6-9 months.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I often put my phone on the table and yes it slides around... But yes it feels better in hand compared to the Defender. The Defender squeaks at times because of the hardcase.

Either you have extremely sensitive hearing or your Defender case has some QC issues. Mine definitely doesn't squeak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards