Protect Hinge, or Not Worry?

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I am still in market for a case, balancing between bulk and protection. Should I look for one with hinge protection? They do add more bulk.

This is my first fold and since the f5 is not dust proof, should I worry? What are your experience so far?
I got 2 cases when I purchased my device. One is the OEM Samsung case with s-pen and the other one is a Spigen case with hinge protection. 8 prefer the slimness of the Samsung case as it doesn't hinder swiping. The Spigen case is a bit thicker and whenever you unfold, sometimes the hinge protector doesn't slide in. I didn't like that as you unfold device you are typically doing something so it's an annoyance. BUT the Spigen case is very protective and has a slot for the s-pen.

Reactions: werkx

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Well that's your choice. If the hinge messes up for whatever reason and needs replaced. You're replacing the inside screen also and that's $600 alone plus hinge cost. I've talked to several repair shops and they all said the inside screen is where the issues are if there are any.

That's a bold statement you made. I take excellent care of my phone's, they usually look new when I trade them in, but the screen replacement cost and the fact that the inside screen is the most sensitive spot on the phone I'll choose coverage.
In fact I've had to submit device to repair. With everyday usage with s-pen I managed to place a small dent in the crease causing a 2mm dead pixel. I took it to the Samsung Experience Store and they replaced the hinge and screen under warranty! I'm with ROGERS and have the monthly device protection they offer however I was told by the store tech that it's easier for warranty claimsto get the Samsung extended warranty! Out of warranty is 700$.

Reactions: werkx

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
In fact I've had to submit device to repair. With everyday usage with s-pen I managed to place a small dent in the crease causing a 2mm dead pixel. I took it to the Samsung Experience Store and they replaced the hinge and screen under warranty!
You got lucky. Samsung could have just as easily said user damage. Glad they fixed for you, last year they denied my warranty when the phone would not open completely, said normal use.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
You got lucky. Samsung could have just as easily said user damage. Glad they fixed for you, last year they denied my warranty when the phone would not open completely, said normal use.
Your totally right..👍🤩☝️😍👌🙏

I was kinda nervous when the tech was checking it out. The only way I believe I was repaired was the fact that the device was in pristine condition from being in a case from day 1. Never dropped and zero signs of damages and in like new condition was my saving grace😀

The technician did say as well that hard taps in any area around the hinge can damage it.Learned something new as I didn't know it was that fragile!

Last edited:

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm using that case now and like it. I'm not worried about the hinge area, I don't want all that bulk added with the hinge protection.
What about a leather side holster? I ordered mine from Amazon, it's the XL leather side hsyer and works great with s-pen case on device!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_113102_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_113102_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 22

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That your claim was denied, they should have replaced the hinge for you. I wonder if it would have been different if you went to a Samsung experience store? Do you have one close by?
It was the store that said when they submitted the claim to Samsung they rejected the claim and said that is normal wear and tear.

It must have been normal as they accepted it for trade in for the fold 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndroidFanboy8

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have purchased samsung care plus and using the phone naked which I absolutely love
The phone is very easy to hold , gives good grip compared to my S24 Ultra
I have taken care plus for 2 years on S24 ultra also
Love using the phones naked
I enjoy the Fold more without a case

Reactions: werkx and Bkdodger1

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Welp, the thin side of the front piece of the Samsung S-pen case broke today. Looks like cracks happened earlier that I didn't notice prior to total breakage.

1000004225.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332