Panel Gap between Screen and Frame on a brand new S21 Ultra

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a brand new Galaxy S21 Ultra,

I am loving the phone, however I have noticed a gap between the screen and Body of the phone and I can slide a piece of paper through it.

(Pictures attached below)

I am deeply disappointed with this, is this normal?

I previously had the s7 and s9 and both had similar manufacturing flaws, it **bleep** to see that Samsung Quality control has still not changed over the years.

Is this a problem? Shall this affect the water resistance of the phone or is this normal?
IMG_0064.jpgIMG_0065.jpg

Please help and give your feedbacks

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Looks normal to me. A tiny gap like that is present on most phones, including my Note 8 and Note 20 Ultra. It happens with Google Pixels and Apple iPhone. It's not an indication of poor quality control. While this is an older response from Samsung, this is right off their website.

Attachments

• 1868.jpg
    1868.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 33

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a manufacturing defect, it's an incredibly important design element.

Different materials have different properties, aluminium and glass for example both expand and contact based on temperature, but at different rates.

If the gap wasn't there and the fit was "perfect" something as simple as charging or going outside could damage your phone.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
But shouldn't the gap be equal and even across all corners?

I submerged by phone in a bucket of water of 15mins.
The microphone became distorted but after drying off it was fine. And everything else works fine.
I guess the water seal is intact.

But is this gap a normal thing as I have seen some phones have it and some don't?

Shall i keep or return this device?

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This isn't a manufacturing defect, it's an incredibly important design element.

Different materials have different properties, aluminium and glass for example both expand and contact based on temperature, but at different rates.

If the gap wasn't there and the fit was "perfect" something as simple as charging or going outside could damage your phone.

Replied above

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Looks normal to me. A tiny gap like that is present on most phones, including my Note 8 and Note 20 Ultra. It happens with Google Pixels and Apple iPhone. It's not an indication of poor quality control. While this is an older response from Samsung, this is right off their website.

Well is the gap even on all sides or bigger at some corners and smaller on the other ones?

It just sucks when you pay 1200 bucks for a phone and it still has such flaws!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It is normal. You shouldn't return it, because there's nothing wrong.

Taking the laws of physics into account isn't a flaw.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It is normal. You shouldn't return it, because there's nothing wrong.

Taking the laws of physics into account isn't a flaw.

Are you certain it won't cause issues with the water resistant or so?
I anyway use a spigen Tough Armor case so the sides are covered always.

And if this is normal why is there such a big variation on other devices, like some have it and some don't

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That is true but if this were a design case, wouldn't the gaps be even across all the corners?
No as others have stated your phone is not the first and it definitely won't be the last. Enjoy the phone and don't obsess over little things that you think are defects.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This isn't good it's the same reason why I'm contemplating leaving this phone for the new iPhone pro max 13

If that's the case, you are never going to be happy, and should just give up.

Regardless of what their cultists may believe, Apple is not magical and must also obey the laws of physics.