Phone lags a bit, what to do first?

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got another brand new N5 and wanna get clear of one thing. Phone keeps on lagging a bit here and there so I was wondering which one to do first? Do I have to wipe the data/factory reset first and then consider wiping the system cache partition or what?

This is what I've done so far. Backed up the whole phone, wiped the cache partition first and then the hard reset/wipe data. Is this fine?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lag is definitely not normal. I would try uninstalling specific apps first. It is most likely an app causing it (when I thought my touchscreen was broken, I assumed it was hardware and it turned out to be an app).

A factory reset will wipe out 3rd party apps in the process, so that will work. If you still have lag after that, I'd assume it is a hardware problem. The Nexus 5 should not have any lag at all in the factory state.

A short fix for lag is forcing GPU rendering...enable developer options by going to "about phone" and pressing the build number like 15 times...this will make the Developer menu show up in your settings. Go into it and scroll towards the bottom...select "Force GPU Rendering", and "Disable hardware overlays". This will force your GPU (not CPU) to render your UI and will make it faster and smoother. It should work on any Android phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What's lagging? The phone, overall... like homescreen, settings, etc.... or are you seeing stutters in certain applications, but not others?

Lag is often unfairly blamed on the device when a lot of the time, it's the application's fault. Some apps have been optimized to reduce or eliminate jitters in scrolling and window transitions, others aren't.... it depends on a bunch of factors..... like how the app prioritizes screen draws and background content loads, etc.... Sometimes you'll see an app jitter a bit at first, then smooth out... but that's just the content loading in the background.

So the Nexus will never be smooth 100% of the time... there's always stuff going on in the background, which Android gives a much higher priority than, say, iOS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays