Phone locking and freezing

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 started locking up and freezing for up to 30 seconds or more at a time and occasionally restarting. I have reset but still the same. I have been on to Samsung and all they suggest is their repair centre. Anything else I can try or is it bricked?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Safe Mode temporarily disables any 3rd party app, so it's a way to determine if the problem is due to something you installed vs the system itself. Use it in Safe Mode for a while and see if the phone freezes. If it does, then it's either a firmware or hardware issue. If it doesn't freeze, then something you installed is probably causing the instability -- you'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

If the problem happens in Safe Mode, then you could try reinstalling the firmware using Kies: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...amsung-emergency-recovering-samsung-kies.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The thing about factory resets is that the phone will often automatically reinstall a lot of your apps. If you're sure the phone didn't reinstall any app from the Play Store, and it's in a completely pristine factory state, then you're right, Safe Mode won't help.

Reinstalling the firmware could help, though, if the firmware is corrupt. Factory resets still use the copy of the firmware on the phone, so if that copy is corrupt, the reset doesn't help.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
How do I reinstall the firmware ? I have looked at Kies but nothing happens when I try emergency recovery. My phone doesn't even show up in the Kies software despite windows recognising it is attached. I'm close to buying another phone as we are going away soon and will need one then.