Phone shuts down instantly at random battery percentages.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

It started 2 months ago, shutting down randomly between 10 and 20% and got gradually worse and worse. Now it shuts down between 40 and 70%. There aren't any shutting down warnings, it just kills itself. Then after I plug it in a charger, I see numbers ranging from 40 to 70 again, as if the phone was totally fine, but when I reboot it just dies instantly again.

3 days ago, when my phone died, it also started resetting my date and time to Jan 1, 2015 but when I go to the settings and turn auto date adjustment off and on again it fixes itself. I'm guessing it is a battery problem but I'm not good with the inner workings of neither the software or the hardware of phones, so I'd be happy if you guys helped me with this.

The phone is a 3 year old Galaxy J7.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Letting any lithium battery go down to 10% is killing the battery quickly. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. The longest life is recharging at 50%. Letting it go to 40% doesn't shorten the life too much.

2. It sounds as if you have a dendrite situation. There's no way to avoid that, and there's no wy to fix it. You have to have the battery replaced.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it's a dendrite, as that would be random. The abuse (even if unintentional) of draining it so low has worn down the internals and the battery's internal resistance has increased, preventing it from producing full power and reducing capacity.

But dendrite or increased internal resistance, your symptoms are a dead ringer for needing a battery replacement.