Photo thumbnails created in the Picture folder not in DCIM folder

JustRay

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I have a Galaxy A50 running Android 11 and the Samsung camera (version 11.0.11.89) and gallery (Version 12.1.07.5) apps.

The phone as well as the camera and gallery apps work just fine.

Here's the deal.

After taking a picture, I can find my photo in the "Internal Storage / DCIM /Camera folder.

What I'm confused about (and maybe someone can straighten me out on this) is that once I have "viewed" the actual photo via the Gallery app, I find the thumbnail for that photo in the "Internal Storage / Pictures / .thumbnails" folder.

I have been reading a bunch of articles on the Internet and all of them indicate the thumbnails should be found inside of the "Internal Storage / DCIM" folder.

But, at least on my phone, that is not the case.

My wife have a Galaxy S10.
And the thumbnails for photos on her phone can indeed be found in the DCIM folder.

I'm so confused.

I wonder if I can ask for some clarity as to where the thumbnails should be found and why my phone seems to be "different".

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This appears to be a Samsung quirk (because, you know, Samsung:p). I checked my A32 5G, and I also see the .thumbnails directory in the /Pictures directory, not /DCIM (while on my Pixel 3 XL, .thumbnails is in /DCIM). I'm not sure why that's not the case in your wife's S10 -- is her phone on Android 11 as well?

JustRay

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
Glad to know I'm not losing my marbles. (Well, maybe I am, but that a different issue.)

My wife's S10 is also running version 11.

I don't get it but, that's okay.
I am documenting all I can learn about where things are stored and such.
Now, I'll add a note referencing our dialog.

Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali